• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Cobra Kai teaser

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
[video=youtube_share;xLtYmhj-0Kg]https://youtu.be/xLtYmhj-0Kg[/video]

Real curious about this. Karate Kid really was a strong part of my childhood media memory.

Olof Jönsson

Tumto Lectis
Validated User
From what little the trailer shows it looks like Danny moved on with his life and left karate behind for mainstream middle class life while Johnny is still stuck in "that moment my life was ruined", trying to bring back Cobra Kai, and caught up in a one-sided rivalry that's bound to end in tragedy.

The funny thing is, I can understand both sides. Johnny was taught by a bad sensei (bad as in a bad teacher) and made to do things he, in the end, didn't truly want to do (he is shown as having serious misgivings about the leg-sweep in the movie)...and he still lost. To a kid who hadn't been training for more than a few months at most. Add to this that Danny ended up with the girl Johnny was pursuing (sure, the two broke up later but they were teenagers, it happens). After a long streak of winning and cups and trophies...he got beaten by the dorky skinny new kid and that weird old janitor.

Whereas to Danny, Johnny must be a constant reminder of what he abandoned, and a walking talking symbol of some really unpleasant times in his life, not to mention the loss of an old friend.

Or in other words, it looks like "Sweep the leg, Johnny" as a serious drama TV show.

TechnocratJT

Want be in Avengers 5
Staff member
RPGnet Member
From what little the trailer shows it looks like Danny moved on with his life and left karate behind for mainstream middle class life while Johnny is still stuck in "that moment my life was ruined", trying to bring back Cobra Kai, and caught up in a one-sided rivalry that's bound to end in tragedy.

The funny thing is, I can understand both sides. Johnny was taught by a bad sensei (bad as in a bad teacher) and made to do things he, in the end, didn't truly want to do (he is shown as having serious misgivings about the leg-sweep in the movie)...and he still lost. To a kid who hadn't been training for more than a few months at most. Add to this that Danny ended up with the girl Johnny was pursuing (sure, the two broke up later but they were teenagers, it happens). After a long streak of winning and cups and trophies...he got beaten by the dorky skinny new kid and that weird old janitor.

Whereas to Danny, Johnny must be a constant reminder of what he abandoned, and a walking talking symbol of some really unpleasant times in his life, not to mention the loss of an old friend.

Or in other words, it looks like "Sweep the leg, Johnny" as a serious drama TV show.
It’s suposedly a comedy-drama and Johnny is the lead looking to make his life better, while Danny is the sorta antogonsit unhappy with his. Or that was the pitch when it was announced.

Last edited:

awesomeocalypse

Validated User
It’s suposedly a comedy and Johnny is the lead.
Interesting concept. I wonder if it'll be more like "what if Mr Miyagi was a knucklehead?" or more "what if you watched a sports movie but from the perspective of the "evil" team"? Because I could see either yielding some fertile ground for humor

TechnocratJT

Want be in Avengers 5
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Interesting concept. I wonder if it'll be more like "what if Mr Miyagi was a knucklehead?" or more "what if you watched a sports movie but from the perspective of the "evil" team"? Because I could see either yielding some fertile ground for humor
Well it’s a 30 years later direct follow up, so I think it’s more “people don’t turn out how you expect” thing.

Eric the .5b

It's all so esoteric
Validated User
Except it was Bobby who swept the leg (and immediately, remorsefully, apologized for it), and when he lost, Johnny personally gave the trophy to Danny. The guy ran the dojo, Kreese, was the only one who seemed to hold any animosity.

But then, it's a series, and those almost never entirely mesh with the source movie storyline, much less any sequels. I'm just not seeing an interesting angle to the idea.

Last edited:

Olof Jönsson

Tumto Lectis
Validated User
It’s suposedly a comedy-drama and Johnny is the lead looking to make his life better, while Danny is the sorta antogonsit unhappy with his. Or that was the pitch when it was announced.
Hmmm. Doesn't sound like something Macchio would sign on for. Something that'd make the roles more equal, probably.

Ascanius

Use the singular they!
Validated User
Except it was Bobby who swept the leg (and immediately, remorsefully, apologized for it), and when he lost, Johnny personally gave the trophy to Danny. The guy ran the dojo, Kreese, was the only one who seemed to hold any animosity.
I watched the Danny and Johnny fight this morning, because of this trailer.

Bobby might have injured the leg originally, but Kreese ordered Johnny to sweep the leg halfway through their match. Johnny did, however, insist on taking the trophy to hand to Danny personally.

By the way, I also watched the final fight of the Jackie Chan/Jaden Smith/Taraji Henson remake, which is a pretty good fight considering the kids are much younger - except that the remake's version of the fight-ending crane kick involves Dre flipping forwards to kick his opponent in the face.

Top Bottom