• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[CoC] Trail of Cthulhu and/or CoC d20: anything useful for CoC (BRP)?

Akrasia

Lord of Procrastination
Validated User
I love The Call of Cthulhu and have no interest in switching systems for my Lovecraftian games.

That said, would it be worth it for me to get copies of Trail of Cthulhu and/or the d20 version of CoC? That is, are these versions helpful for running standard (BRP) CoC? If so, what do they have to offer?

Thanks! :)

Arseny

Validated User
You should absolutely check out Bookhounds of London – its campaign frame for Trail of Cthulhu, where characters take on the roles of rare and used booksellers, catering to the tastes of rich, extravagant and macabre. It gives insight on surprisingly exciting and cutthroat world of antiquarian book trade and 1930s London, new types of magic, a host of NPCs and an excellent adventure. There are plenty of rules, but there is a BRP rules conversion available on Pelgrane Press website. Companion volume – The Book of the Smoke – is the guide to occult London of the era, is stat-free.

Arseny

Validated User
Armitage Files is another excellent choice. It’s a campaign based around the premise that prof. Armitage is sending letters from the future where a Mythos Apocalypse had occurred and devastated most of the world, and Investigators attempt to prevent it following the clues in the letters. The twist is that the book does not consist of pre-written adventures. Instead it contains ten letters hinting at various events, organizations and characters, and descriptions of those events, organizations and characters with possibility for each being helpful, evil or neutral. Working from this material, Keeper improvises the campaign and mystery to uncover.

Another thing to look at is prewritten adventures. I think that The Dance in the Blood is one of the best Mythos one-shots since the The Haunting. Cthulhu Apocalypse: The Dead White World is a first part of epic campaign, which is set in England against the background of Mythos Apocalypse with characters struggling to survive. Arkham Detective Tales is a collection of five solid scenarios (most of it actually takes place in New-York, though).

The Unshaven

Validated User
CoC d20 is a solid product, though the most useful thing in it for me is the campaign module about the movie theatre at the end of the book. That's just awesome, and can be converted elsewhere.

If you already have a system you like, i wouldn't otherwise bother moving from it.

- The Unshaven

Akrasia

Lord of Procrastination
Validated User
If you already have a system you like, i wouldn't otherwise bother moving from it.
As I said in my OP, I have no interest in moving from CoC. I'm curious whether there's anything in ToC and/or d20 CoC to port over to CoC.

The scenario in the CoC d20 book sounds intriguing. Thanks for mentioning it.

Akrasia

Lord of Procrastination
Validated User
Bookhounds of London
Armitage Files
The Dance in the Blood
Cthulhu Apocalypse: The Dead White World
Arkham Detective Tales
These all sound intriguing (especially the Armitage Files). So they would all be easy to use with CoC?

Is there any point in getting the ToC core book as well? Or should I just look into the ToC adventures that look interesting for conversion to CoC?

AndrewTBP

You are Number 6
RPGnet Member
Validated User
There are some very good ideas on the Mythos in the core ToC book. It's well worth purchasing. There's also good stuff in the Savage Worlds volume Realms of Cthulhu, in particular the Mythos tale generator, that I've found useful.

Chris Tavares

RPGnet Member
Validated User
The writeups about the mythos in the Trail of Cthulhu core book are brilliance captured, purified, and pressed onto paper. Hite goes different mythos creatures, and gives you multiple possible interpretations for each one. Is Azathoth the personification of the Big Bang, an emergent intelligence created around a supermassive black hole, or ...? There are six different ideas about Azathoth alone, and you (as the GM) are free to choose which, if any are true for your game. A great way to keep your players guessing, and a fabulous read all by itself.

Arseny

Validated User
These all sound intriguing (especially the Armitage Files). So they would all be easy to use with CoC?
Well, you'll have to stat some NPC's/monsters, but as you're experienced with BRP, I assume that's not gonig to be a problem. Bookhounds of London is the only books that contains new rules, but they have BRP conversion for them (not in the book, but on the website).

Is there any point in getting the ToC core book as well? Or should I just look into the ToC adventures that look interesting for conversion to CoC?
As people above said, the Keeper's section is great, with excellent fresh take on Mythos. Same, by the way, goes for CoC D20 - while mechanics were rather meh, Mythos/Keeper's section was written by John Tynes of Delta Green and Unknown Armies fame, and vastly superior to GM advice in any CoC edition (hell, probably superior to any other Cthulhu game out there - it's really an unappreciated gem). The theatre adventure is also brilliantly creepy, if a bit too challenging - I ran it three times, and it always ended with some level of failure for Investigators.

Last edited:
Top Bottom