• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

đź’€ Necro [CofD/Hunter 2E] Ashwood Abbey Open Development

Patkin

ougikawa
Validated User
From the most recent discussion of Hunter 2E on Onyx Path's website:
Slashers and Ashwood Abbey/
I feel these aspects have the potential to limit the opportunities for Ashwood Abbey members to work with non-Abbey members and, more importantly, it could also turn the compact into a target for slashers, hunters, and other monster types. With all of this in mind, I’m mulling over three possibilities for Ashwood Abbey in Hunter 2nd Edition. They are:

No Change: First, we can keep Ashwood Abbey mostly “as is” with few changes per my above-quoted text. This wouldn’t be impossible to do, but it wouldn’t be my preferred option.

Blending the Two: Second, we can reinforce that it’s a challenging time to be a member of the Ashwood Abbey. A growing number of hunters are fleeing to join the Hunt Club, and other hunters are not only confusing the two groups, they are actively keeping tabs on them for fear they might be slashers, etc. This means that the Hunt Club would also be included in the Slasher Chronicle, and would take the place of a new antagonist. By far, this is the safest route to take.

Major Update: Or, third: we turn Ashwood Abbey into antagonists who’ve been taken over by the Hunt Club, and design/use a new compact to take their place. By doing so, Hunter’s version of the Hellfire Club wouldn’t be as much of an outlier for this book, and we can use or create a more appropriate compact that’s more interested in dealing with the overall mystery and has the potential to work with other compacts. (Please keep in mind that VASCU, which first appeared in Slasher, is a conspiracy.) This is a more inventive option that would allow for a new compact based someplace new, such as Brazil, Nigeria, Japan, etc.
I needed to get this out of my system, and attempting to reply directly to that post wound up eating my comment on it and then Wordpress thinking it's there already (which probably means a replica of this will appear there in four hours or something).

So, I think it's really short-sighted to just go "well, the Abbey is kind of unsettling, so we'll just lump them in with the serial killers this go-around". Like every hunter is at-risk of being a slasher, but because of 1e supplements always taking the sort of one-note perspective on Abbey characters ("just a bunch of sickos and perverts"), they get purged as a common protagonist-type? If that was going to be the end-result, why even feature them as a compact in the first place?

So I'm pretty adamantly against the third choice.

The second choice could be utilized, but personally I thought the Hunt Club was kind of pointless organization for the sake of organization; so cultivating them just so you can go "who's the real monster, if you look so alike?" when that's literally every thing a hunter comes up against is silly.

So I guess my vote would be for the first choice, with the caveat that what I really want is someone to explore Ashwood Abbey without just defaulting to lazy characterization of what being in the Abbey means.

Anyway, that's me getting that off my chest.

Gizmit

Super Moderator
RPGnet Member
I would prefer to see the Abbey starting out as an aristocratic hunting cell, purging the upper class of "monstrous filth". They then grow larger, and more decadent and wild, allowing in new money, shifting from "removing the taint upon our people" to "hunting for the hell of it." That's when Slashers start to infiltrate. You then have a clash between traditionalist members, the hoi polloi common members, and the insidious Slashers. The Slashers try to turn the other two groups from 'hunting monsters' to 'hunting humans', whether for fun, or for racism/classism/etc.

Susanoo Orbatos

Social Justice Huckster
Validated User
Each of the 2e books started conceptually as 'The X chronicles" where not only would the book be a 2e but also redouble focus on a particular aspect of the game(the Strix for example in Vampire). Hunter's subtitle is "The Slasher chronicles" its going to redouble focus on slashers, they are going to be more common in the Hunter canon.

It has nothing to do with Ashwood being unsettling and more to do with the fact that they seem conceptually the weakest at resisting corruption? I mean I was honestly surprised it wasn't secretly some sort of supernatural murder cult already.

NYNosferatu

In the sewers.
Validated User
First choice, or second choice would be fine.

Definitely not the third choice.

Hunter is not just a game about playing the "good guys." Groups like Ashwood Abbey and The Cheiron Group have found lots of playtime in the games I've played in over the years, and my group has found great enjoyment in utilizing them as both antagonists and protagonists.

There is something to be said for AA's goals and how dark an twisted they are, yet how they also portray many of worst elements of humanity in 2015.

AA doesn't need fixing.

DrZombie

Dead and loving it
Validated User
Yeah, I'd prefer the first, with maybe the second. You're not a "good guy" as a hunter, so why should you be limited to groups with noble goals?

BluegrassGeek

Hillbilly GM
Validated User
I'm leaning towards option 2, with option 3 as an alternative. I'd like to see the Abbey reform a bit. While yes, you're not necessarily a "good guy," Hunters are in it to protect others from these monsters. You can still do that while getting paid or getting a thrill, but... once you stop caring about other people, they all start to look like obstacles or even playthings as well. Which is a very quick path towards becoming a Slasher.

So for option 2, I'd like to see the Abbey at least trying to keep the Vigil. Their goal is to protect others, they just also want to have a good time doing so. They might toy with their prey a bit, but they're not torturers, rapists or otherwise outright "bad guys." The Abbey is all about the thrill of the hunt, but with the end goal of removing a supernatural monster from the world. The folks who are into the nasty stuff get reprimanded by senior Abbey members, while the Hunt Club courts such people. That can make the Abbey look like a recruitment tool for the Hunt Club, something the Abbey is denying while they try to stem the bleeding. It also gives STs an "out" if they do want to make the Abbey a front for Hunt Club, or just outright bad, while other groups can play them as misguided and/or misunderstood.

Otherwise, if they keep the very unpleasant elements in place, I'd say go with option 3 and just make them a straight-up Slasher group. We can get a new "thrill of the hunt" compact going, and leave the Abbey/Hunt Club as antagonists who don't care if their targets are monsters or mortals. They're just in it to indulge their vices.

wryfool

Validated User
Maybe you should open up Ashwood Abbey to more than just perverts and sickos? The Abbey would surely have a few would-be Batmans among them, and even wealthy people who believe firmly in Noblesse Oblige, or that the divine right of kings means that they have to keep their vassals safe from monsters. The group's dark secret could be that a lot of them are in it to rape monsters and kill people, but you could definitely downplay the decadent elements, in favor of other ideas.

I would definitely prefer option 1 or 2.

Last edited:

Ralph Dula

Validated User
I believe from the post years ago of someone who worked on H:TV back in the day it's expected I vote choice #1.

I vote choice #1

Susanoo Orbatos

Social Justice Huckster
Validated User
First choice, or second choice would be fine.

Definitely not the third choice.

Hunter is not just a game about playing the "good guys." Groups like Ashwood Abbey and The Cheiron Group have found lots of playtime in the games I've played in over the years, and my group has found great enjoyment in utilizing them as both antagonists and protagonists.

There is something to be said for AA's goals and how dark an twisted they are, yet how they also portray many of worst elements of humanity in 2015.

AA doesn't need fixing.

I Think AA definately needs some explanation for why its not quickly coopted by some supernatural group. "Lets do this totally for laughs evil ritual!" is exactly the sort of people who'd show up and then well things fall down. Cherion doesn't because well it is coopted...

Ralph Dula

Validated User
I Think AA definately needs some explanation for why its not quickly coopted by some supernatural group. "Lets do this totally for laughs evil ritual!" is exactly the sort of people who'd show up and then well things fall down. Cherion doesn't because well it is coopted...
Ah, but that can be part of the charm of the Ashwood Abbey.

Picture it: You're a member of another Company or Conspiracy or what have you. You know those folks in the Abbey have been practicing all sort of evil magicks for shits and giggles that you know have been corrupting people for generations, but here they are, just talking and being friendly like they normally are. No apparent change to their behavior from their actions.

But their "normal" is reminiscing about that time they bought all the occupants of an orphanage for use as bait in a hunt, and discussing demonic possession like it's something one does to kill some time over the weekend rather than a life-changing experience.

And now you're wondering about your own views of good and evil, of personal strength and willpower, when what you thought was eternal damnation is just these folks’ side hobbies.

And, maybe now, you have to count on these strange folks to back your play in monster hunting, wondering if they're the ones you should be dealing with instead of the monsters. And that little voice in the back of your head is wondering if maybe they're plan all along was for you to try and deal with them in lieu of the monsters, and they're all just a little bit excited at a three-way battle.

Of course, they can also provide a venue for those who like the "Humanity is the real monster" theme, even as their casual, and successful disregard for the power of the creatures they hunt can be a draw for the "Humanity, Fuck Yeah!" crowd.

Huh, now I'm kind of wondering if Onyx Path is accepting submissions for writing the Ashwood Abbey.

Top Bottom