• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

💀 Necro [CofD/Hunter 2E] Ashwood Abbey Open Development

Leliel

SJ Road Warrior
Validated User
I think they're getting kicked from the main twelve, but I'm not sure what's replacing them. One of the conspiracies is too, replaced by the Council of Bones, but I don't know which one. (If I had to guess, it would Aegis kai Doru, or less likely, the Cheiron Group).
Going by Contagion Chronicles, I think it's the AKD.

Which is fine by me, they were both morally suspect in a bad way (the most absolutely blind to nuance and also a true cult - even the Malleus Maleficarum focuses on a creature of the night that is harmful, and has a reason in that Baudolino really likes not being dead), and kind of... boring. They use Relics and seek Relics, and that's about the extent of what they are and do. They're one of the few groups the supplements made worse, because they really leaned into just how hidebound they are by their internal myth (VALKYRIE is the other one, but there's literally one problem, their need to rely on vampiric donors for funding; that is easily solved, have them have another source of income that doesn't ruin their own mission).

dogstar

Validated User
I quite like Ashwood Abbey - I think they appeal as a NPC group though more than a player group. They're hunters who hunt, for pleasure and the thrills - Yes, they're like a bit broken and a bit unhinged but they're really no more so than 'dangerous sports' enthusiasts. I see them more as kind of like the Rock Stars of the Hunter world - living as close to the edge - They're beyond morality, but I see them as having a kind of code and Romanticism that runs through them (they're not serial killers devoid of feeling, quite the opposite and I imagine that outside of the Abbey, they puruse ordinary lives, have familys, raise children, worry about the PTA but that the hunt is an outlet. Kind of like Swingers on party night, anything goes, then back to the real world.

Its childish I think to play them off as just being depraved, immoral, murder hobos - unless you're a Werewolf, Vampire etc.... They are simply humans who hunt creatures that are massively overpowered by comparison. They're like mice that choose to hunt cats. Its not surprising that their rituals and behaviours around hunting, especially a successful hunt, represent the more orgyistic. But at the end of the day, they're fighting the good fight, its just that they're doing so because they really enjoy it.

I think its likely that many of them slide down the slasher route, but I'd imagine that AA is quite preparied for hunting slashers...

Black Flag

Dweller on the Threshold
Validated User
I don’t think you can read Ashwood Abbey outside of the context of class. They’re not ordinary people who care about the PTA. They send their kids to boarding school so they can get them out of the mansion and use their room for drug-fueled sex parties. They also represent people so rich and privileged that they know there’s almost nothing they can’t get away with. While there are certainly people like that, there’s nothing ordinary about it.

Also, there’s a long literary tradition of depicting extreme wealth as leading to callousness and depravity. De Sade is the most famous example, but Ashwood also seems to be channeling “The Most Dangerous Game” etc.

DSPaul

Validated User
I’ve thought about improving the Abbey by modeling them after one of those private “safari” companies for the ultra-rich. In this concept, you’re not playing the Abbey’s members, you’re playing its employees — the people who do the actual work of tracking down the monster, luring it into a prepared area, and weakening it enough that Senator Richington can finish it off from the safety of his helicopter.

SunlessNick

Mildly Darkened One
Validated User
They use Relics and seek Relics, and that's about the extent of what they are and do.
And presumably the Council uses relics to contact the dead, so the Endowment is still there. (Even if the Council uses a more elaborate necromancy, relics would still make sense as an "open" Endowment any hunter can use - the Loyalists, the Abbey, Ascending Ones, Malleus Maleficarum, and Lucifuge all make sense as groups that might have them - and even in the first edition, any hunter could theoretically use them).
I imagine that outside of the Abbey, they puruse ordinary lives, have familys, raise children, worry about the PTA but that the hunt is an outlet. Kind of like Swingers on party night, anything goes, then back to the real world.
Hunting sapient creatures as an "outlet" is pretty depraved all by itself.

Heavy Arms

Validated User
I think they appeal as a NPC group though more than a player group.
That's a big problem in its own right though.

Yes, they're like a bit broken and a bit unhinged but they're really no more so than 'dangerous sports' enthusiasts.
Last I checked, extreme sports enthusiasts on average would disapprove of a huge amount of what the Abbey does because the Abbey shows a distinct lack of respect for themselves or the challenges they willingly put themselves through.

Its childish I think to play them off as just being depraved, immoral, murder hobos...
No, there's nothing childish about labeling a group of people that are actively encouraged to do whatever they want to their victims to show their superiority - including raping them - as being depraved and immoral. Even if you never murder or rape anyone, being a paid member of a group that is open to their members that they fully support your power to do both is itself depraved (barring something like an undercover operation that's done properly).

The only incorrect thing is calling them hobos.

Kite474

Validated User
So on the initial topic I am not the biggest fan of the Abbey and generally would be ok with a retool. Or maybe by replacing them with the Bear Lodge as they have the same gimmick but muuuuch less disruptive.

As for it being the Slasher Chronicle. Wouldn’t that kind of be not area to cover? As from wht Im aware Slashers are just Hunters who have descended to crazy serial killing... not the most exciting antagonist compared to Werewolves and Vampires who have the same mental capacity but waaaaay more power. Unless im remembering Slashers wrong. Its been a while

Heavy Arms

Validated User
The "______ Chronicle" stuff isn't about, "this is what the game revolves around," but rather, "here's something to do with the game as a jumpstart into what it can do."

It's for people that read the rest of the text and go, "OK, but now what do I do with this?" by giving them a broad framework with a detailed antagonist/etc. that can support a decently long arc to get people into what the games play like.

Vampire having the Strix Chronicle isn't about making Requiem all about the Strix, or ignoring all the other antagonists in the game, but giving a solid framework for a story if you don't have one off the bat: the city is about to have a Strix problem.

Likewise the point of the Slasher Chronicle isn't about making Hunter all about Hunters vs. Slashers. It's about having a framework for a specific story so people coming into the game have something to run with right out of the book.

Black Flag

Dweller on the Threshold
Validated User
I’m thinking slashers are best understood not as “fallen hunters” but as “a dark reflection of hunters, some of whom used to be hunters themselves.”

But yeah, Heavy Arms speaks truth: the new editions are just as wide open as before, but most now come with a focus on a particular type of antagonist in the core that the previous core didn’t focus on, as a way to help with the “what do I do with all this” problem that some people complained about in the first editions.

Top Bottom