• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[CofD] Sir Night Compiles Night Horrors: The Unbidden (In-Character Let's Read)

Leliel

SJ Road Warrior
Validated User
(OOC: Ah, it's okay. I was just worried, due to the experimental nature on top of an experimental nature.)

Last edited:

ZiggyZapf

Sorcerer of Autumn
Validated User
To: Group
Subject: Oikia Foetia

Well, everyone, looks like we've got a possible chance to parley, though I don't expect results.

Foetia: Given the weirdness Night's described about New Beth, I'm guessing it's got a bad case of this Contagion. I guess we could start with information on it. Even if we don't wind up finding a diplomatic solution, at least we can get a better idea on how to proceed from here and what not to do if things still come to blows.

So, how does the Contagion spread, and how can it be contained?
Just how bad is the prognosis?
What effective treatments have been devised, if any?

Leliel

SJ Road Warrior
Validated User
Subject: Oikia Foetia

Well, everyone, looks like we've got a possible chance to parley, though I don't expect results.

Foetia: Given the weirdness Night's described about New Beth, I'm guessing it's got a bad case of this Contagion. I guess we could start with information on it. Even if we don't wind up finding a diplomatic solution, at least we can get a better idea on how to proceed from here and what not to do if things still come to blows.

So, how does the Contagion spread, and how can it be contained?
Just how bad is the prognosis?
What effective treatments have been devised, if any?
The_Fable_Of_Bone_And_Blood.zip

I have a difficult time explaining, as the Contagion actively resists logic. The Plague of Cronos, as I like to call it, mutates often and frequently. At its core, it is a disease that initially manifests as the sudden manifestation of unknown traits in its supernatural hosts; an infamous strain causes what vampires, Uratha, and the Lost like to refer to their Touchstones to succumb to a powerful sense of ennui and depression in which suicidal ideation is not uncommon. The strain that is endemic to New Beth metastasizes from its teeming underworld community to form pockets of space that resemble more occult versions of slums, not dissimilar to the Philadelphia strain our dear Sir Night unknowingly examined in the Hunter Horror Recognition Guide; the interstitial spaces the Beth strain constructs are far more mundane in nature and creates the delusion the city has always resembled its warped image unless the map is deliberately examined, but the new buildings it forms always resemble warped versions of organized crime operations in the area (my esteemed colleague Detective Heath calls them "boils", and I have little reason to disagree with his assessment). Its basic cycle is always the same; after the initial Patient Zero of the Contagion strain in the area is infected, it rapidly begins to metastasize and spread to any source of occult energy capable of supporting its lifecycle. It begins to warp its hosts to maximize the potential spread of itself; sometimes, it simply warps the perspective of the infected straight into a form whose only purpose is to spread the disease, but sometimes it has a incubating state. Rather than directly warp its host into its purposes, it instead creates a biological offer; if the host will tap into its powers and willingly spread the pathogen while ignoring their own morality, it will make the host stronger. Either willing or unwilling active carriers are called Contagious, to distinguish them from creatures the Contagion constructs itself to spread and weaken social defenses, which are Carriers.

The way our patron angels have explained it (we in the Crucible Initiative have a working friendship with the God-Machine, which understands our efficiency) is that the Contagion is an "anti-Machine" of sorts; it exists to cause entropy and is drawn to entropy. The Machine is bone; cold, steady, and unyielding, while the Contagion is blood; hot, wild, and feral. It seeks a return to a disordered, primal state, a Hobbesian hell of all-against-all. The bone, naturally, is good; it is a world that all humans and esohumans can understand, as opposed to the endless violence of the blood.

Above all, the prognosis is incurable. Neferyah and her fellow idiots/traitors may have convinced themselves that the Contagion is containable, but no; the only way to ensure it does not go active is to sterilize it, same as any other disease. Every non-active infected is a potential Contagious, every potential vector will be used by it to spread. The cure is purgation and fire, hence the Crucible Initiative; we are as the sterilizing flame, building a stronger world by burning away the impure disease that will kill us all or warp us into the unrecognizable, and to quarantine what is untainted away until such time that the Contagion is rendered extinct. Anyone who tells you otherwise is deluding themselves or a tool of the plague, likely both. Compassion is simply another weakness it can exploit; its only good is that it is an enemy to unify the world against and assist in soothing man's hunger for war.

Discipline feeds unity. Unity feeds strength. Strength feeds purity. Purity is life.

Leliel

SJ Road Warrior
Validated User
A_Hem.zip

Ms. I am a woman. I know it oft is not expected, but I am a sibyl first and a Seer second. And like most sibyls, I am very much female.

Apart from that, I would be unforgivably oblivious to state your skepticism is unwarranted. The priesthood of the Exarchs do draw some profoundly corrupt and venal individuals, those who seek only to benefit from the divine order without responsibility to maintain it. I have sacrificed my ability to take common pleasures of the flesh in exchange for my immortal existence, and it was a quite deliberate attempt to excise the temptation. I try to avoid confusing desire for reward.

It is honestly irrelevant in this case anyway. When I am working as an agent of the Crucible, I am an agent of survival, not the gods.

(OOC: I'm not actually offended, but she couldn't let that pass by. It's just as much for her offering her apologetics for the Seers as it is annoyance about misgendering.

As a side note, I called her "plump" once; I should clarify that to her this is actually a compliment, she hews to the classic Greek ideals of looking healthy and symmetrical rather than skinny. I did not mean to make a fat joke, and I just realized that I may have. Whoops.)

The Watcher

Validated User
Subject: The Contagion

There is more than one reason to be skeptical. In your first post you mentioned using The Abyss to fight the Contagion, You're basically resorting to utilizing the antithesis to Existence itself for your cause. Why should we not regard an individual who would intentionally encourage the spread of Abyssal influence in this world as foolish and dangerous to the cosmos at large?

Last edited:

Leliel

SJ Road Warrior
Validated User
Subject: The Contagion

There is more than one reason to be skeptical. In your first post you mentioned using The Abyss to fight the Contagion, You're basically resorting to utilizing the antithesis to Existence itself for your cause. Why should we not regard an individual who'd risk encouraging the spread of Abyssal influence in this world as foolish and dangerous to the cosmos at large?
Strange_Bedfellows.zip

I acknowledge the danger. But individual manifestations of the Abyss are bound by their own logic; they corrode only specific things in accordance with the nature of the distortion they punish. Really, this era seems to have forgotten why Paradox was once called Nemesis; the Abyss strikes at those who put themselves above the will of the gods, a reaction to hubris. Those who upset the careful harmony of the world let the dreams of the Titans through from Tartarus, guided by the will of the Furies to echo the transgression. We all do it, hence why it is easier to blunt for those of us who remain on the path of Wisdom; the Wise have less transgressions to punish. This is the story told by Athens in the years of my mortality, but it had iterations across all of Alexander's empire; the Abyss is simply the Form of impurity, the result of unclear thought invoking the universe's retribution. Both the infection, and the means to treat its cause. Hence, the Supernal Chain of Being is left unbroken.

I do not enjoy using it; if the Shard Crows posed a direct threat to mages beyond their hunger for soul stones, I would advocate their extermination. As it is, they serve as a useful reminder to those who would willingly mutilate their souls to create a bubble of Supernal reality by their own will instead of the will of the gods, Exarch or otherwise, and an excellent bargaining chip to contain the true evil of the Contagion.

And make no mistake, the Contagion is evil. It acts with a malice beyond any mundane disease, and that malice is most embodied in its Carriers; they actively enjoy the mutilation of reality they cause It is my belief that it is nothing less than the will of Cronos himself seeking to reverse the flow of generations, but that is irrelevant. The Plague is that bad. Any political or tactical question involving it is also an ethical question, because even the least manifestation of the Contagion has the potential within it to destroy humanity. There is no reasoning with it, no parley that will not be broken, no compromise that will not be twisted. Zero tolerance is the only reasonable merciful solution; the question is how best to eradicate it with minimal damage to the rest of the world. The Abyss damages existence by its very nature - but in a pattern that can be understood, predicted, and accounted for. I'm not killing the world to save the world; I'm creating a safe burn to deny the Contagion fuel and possibly putting early warning systems into place in the process.

Better the devil you know - and better the devil that can be contained.

Master Planner

Validated User

Does the contagion have anything to do with prometheans since they are also capable of changing the environment in extreme ways.

If the New Beth contagion is really as bad as you say it is. I suppose something needs to be done about it but how do we know you're not going to backstab us and take New Beth for yourself when we are no longer useful to you.

Top Bottom