[CofD] Sir Night Compiles Night Horrors: The Unbidden (In-Character Let's Read)

Leliel

SJ Road Warrior
Validated User
[..]my neighborhood's started getting graffiti in the form of "Empty set" symbols over the last couple of months. Hopefully just someone fascinated/making a statement with the mathematics concept, but I've got people asking around. Any bells rung around here?
oh_dear.zip

Thanks to Nita's tendency to follow internet fandoms like her totem, I also know the empty set symbol as a sigil for "operator", which due to a certain web series is also largely regarded as Infrastructure for Slender Man. Who is entirely fictional (believe me, I'd know otherwise; that creature is a classic loyalist, especially of a Destroyer or Psychopomp, depends on design for intimidation or fine manipulators/speed), but I heard from Cichol that certain mages are attempting to create and summon a goetia of it as a personal assassin and tool of intimidation. [Because that's not at all how he took over the world in a story, nooo.] So it's entirely possible you're now host to some of those same Seers and your friend is being targeted for a prototype test. [Though thankfully, one he is not scared of. He got really bored of Marble Hornets soon as he figured out that Source business. By the end he was screaming at Jay to get a grimoire, or at least a clue.]

Even if it's not, I'll look into it. Mathematics symbols as graffiti in general are things that generally have the Temple's mark in general.

(OOC: Given certain events related to Slender Man in the real world, I think I may want to post a trigger warning for the future in case it is discussed. I am avoiding it out of good taste, but if it is brought up...)

ZiggyZapf

Sorcerer of Autumn
Validated User
To: Forum
Subject: So many memes

Guess I need to catch up on my creepypasta. Usually, I'm more focused on the actual monsters, rather than the explicitly fictional stories. Sometimes those of us in Autumn use urban legends to inspire fear, but it seems no one here's involved, or not willing to own up to this instance. I'll keep you updated.

--Ziggy Zapf

(OOC: Had no idea about that connection.)

Leliel

SJ Road Warrior
Validated User
be_glad_you_dont_know_beasts.zip

One of Dent's Inguma broodmates [They're the Begotten family personifying Fear of the Other, for those of you at home - who actually have "drinking buddy" caliber Horrors, because by definition the Other is a stranger, aka a foreigner, aka a person.] enjoys making Horrorspawn that resemble whatever internet legend his job as a journalist of online culture reveals to him. He, naturally, did not reveal this to me before I suddenly encountered one. Or several of my knights. Or a particular Iron Master. [On the plus side, we now have a new 800-pound Gorilla joke: "Where does a terrified Cahalith go? Less places than a Rahu in the same situation."]

But that is neither here nor there. We are speaking of the rest of the Golden Quorum. [Though it's not too late to talk about new discoveries with Begotten! ...That's not working? Joy.]

As I've rapidly discovered, most of the Awakened part of the Quorum are not particularly capable mages. Apart from Clover and Thrush, most of them possess no combat capability. [Thank the teotl.] Perhaps because they aren't as important to the functions of the cult as its leaders, I wasn't able to find out much about them, and Thrush covers his tracks well; I only know the most mystically important members of the guerillas. [Though interestingly, one's not a mage. Or a Sleepwalker, for that matter.] The ones I was able to develop a profile on were:

Batsheva: A chronically immature and underconfident young women, this Witch can be best described as a lost lamb with prophetic abilities. [Also, a source of unwelcome flashbacks to my school days. There but for the grace of the gods...] She is a perpetual outcast and in the middle of a perpetual existential crisis, which is why she was probably vulnerable to cult recruitment. As far as the proper Quorum goes, she's the one who Clover has his hooks in deepest; she's developed an outright obsessive view of him, and I was given a front-row seat to outright romantic jealousy of my infiltration identity that went into outright eerie territory. [Sadly for her and Tim, Ben likes skinny girls.] She's the least corrupted by the Abyss, but given how Thrush seems to spend much of his time dissuading her from stalking Clover, I doubt if she's anything resembling the weak link. In the cabal, she takes up the position of researcher and recruiter, as her fanatical devotion to Clover makes her an adept orator when praising him.

Jabez: Clover's apprentice, and one of two Scelesti. From what Cichol was able to find out, Jabez suffers from clinical depression, which ruined his ability to control his magic [Ironically, he's a Moros.] and eventually caused the Adamantine Arrow to proclaim him Vidantus, ie retired from combat, without his permission. [Given how Vidanti are literally supposed to be people who are too PTSD-ridden to fight any more, wow his Convocation were dicks.] Clover sensed his emotional turmoil when he was preparing to kill himself and talked him out of it, and he has been by his side ever since. I suspect that he knows he is corrupted by the Abyss and is at peace with it, but refuses to divest Clover of his delusions of purity for fear of taking over the Quorum when he regards their leader as his friend and better at it than he ever would be. [If you're reading this, J, keep an eye on Thrush. He really doesn't like people who may cut Ben's puppet strings, even by accident.] Besides being a capable and talented artisan when it comes to woodwork [He's even making a throne for his boss, which is quite appealing if you don't mind the R'yleh Impressionist influences.], Jabez is the face man for the cabal and frequently serves as the first line of security. He's unfortunately perceptive.

Raum: The other Scelestus, and for lack of a better term Thrush's handler. Originally he seems to have been Clover's mentor, but Thrush usurped that position, and it doesn't take long to realize that he resents that to no small degree. Beyond his jealousy, though, Raum suspects Thrush has an agenda, not the least because he can tell what real Abyssal corruption is. Much to my eternal shame, I have him to thank for escaping without major injuries. [Hardly the most evil contact we've ever had, though. Raum needs to be more cannibalistic and trollish to be anywhere near Sanjha's level.] When not quietly compiling evidence on Thrush's purity, Raum is the summoner (assisted by his type of Thrysus Scelesti specializing in breaking spirits of the Shadow to his will), lawyer, and literal houndmaster of the Quorum, as a few bite marks on Sutter show. [Steve, it seems, is the karmic sponge of the Knights.] As a side note, he has an extraordinarily annoying habit of arguing against any political position at all using deliberately poor logic; he seems to find people tied into rhetoric knots amusing.

Mandy Grace: One of the two guerillas I mentioned, Grace is actually a Sleeper, but as far as I can tell is probably the most dangerous psychologically. Everything I've read about her suggests she's a diagnosable psychopath, more or less born with sadistic urges and having little desire to restrain them. She seems to feel affectionate towards Clover, which is the main reason she personally joined Thrush's army, but the reason she was allowed in is because the Brotherhood has foretold that she's an important player in Clover's story. Her sadism makes a natural sounding board for Clover's suffering-focused style of magic and theology. Of course, that's also why I suspect Thrush funneled her into the guerillas; she'd very easily become the puppetmaster given how desperate Clover is for affection and hitting all his standards of beauty, not to mention her abilities with verbal abuse are honestly rather impressive. [Also, one-woman reason why I don't like thinking about the cult; she's good at cold-reading people and figuring out their ethnicity-related trauma. I don't think I've cried that hard in years.] Still, she has one weakness, and that's he lack of inherent empathy, she honestly doesn't realize how imprecise initial impressions can be. [And for that, I am spitefully grateful. Fear things are more therapeutic than watching the alpha bitch trip over herself before running away in fear because the "cuckolded [insert lesbian slur here]" completely turned the situation around.]

Tryzub: The other guerilla, and the one I really don't like the implications of. Quite simply, Tryzub is not an outcast mage like the proper cabal. Or rather, he is, but the kind of outcast who occupies a place in conventional Awakened society. Tryzub is an active and involved member of the Guardians of the Veil, specifically an Interfector. [They're essentially the Official Hard Men Making Hard Decisions of the Hard Men Making Hard Decisions Order.] From what I could tell, he contained an extremely violent Paradox a few years before he met the Quorum in which he had visions of the "faceless angels", Abyssal entities that seem to embody use of the Abyss to safeguard and protect the world. [Nietzsche would have a field day.] He initially ignored them - but then the position of Interfector was reduced to mere functionality in his Convocation, and unlike his peers he was not reassigned. Feeling emasculated and already primed to possess a messiah complex, Thrush was able to convince him that the faceless angels were being entirely honest and that Clover is the Hieromagus, which as a cultural meme is actually something native to his own Order. He serves as a link to conventional mage society and as interrogator, something he would be good at even if he wasn't a Mastigos. [Though now, I suspect, he's only going to be an interrogator, or dead. You do not betray the Guardians.]

Next, we examine one of my quarries, which may be shuffling responsibility around, but I don't care; Cadere is a person difficult to track, and to be frank, whoever catches him first has my express permission to be as sadistic as they desire. Mercy is not permitted.

Last edited:

ZiggyZapf

Sorcerer of Autumn
Validated User

One of Dent's Inguma broodmates [They're the Begotten family personifying Fear of the Other, for those of you at home - who actually have "drinking buddy" caliber Horrors, because by definition the Other is a stranger, aka a foreigner, aka a person.] enjoys making Horrorspawn that resemble whatever internet legend his job as a journalist of online culture reveals to him. He, naturally, did not reveal this to me before I suddenly encountered one. Or several of my knights. Or a particular Iron Master. [On the plus side, we now have a new 800-pound Gorilla joke: "Where does a terrified Cahalith go? Less places than a Rahu in the same situation."]
So terrifying. But seriously, "The Other" and the Uncanny are core concepts in horror. Humans are creatures that live by understanding their environment and the other living things around them. Encountering a sufficiently unfamiliar culture can create just enough unknowns to mess with someone's sense of security. It also gets worse for those of us who know there are stranger and more dangerous things out there that can mimic humans, often with little uncanny imperfections. I once had a Chinese classmate who would give her class presentations with this very regular, choppy sort of tempo in her speech. At the time, I just figured it was a holdover from her native language, much like an accent, but nowadays, little bits of weirdness like that can get me worried if they're flaws in a disguise. I've certainly gotten experience in covering up or downplaying my own quirks.

But that is neither here nor there. We are speaking of the rest of the Golden Quorum. [Though it's not too late to talk about new discoveries with Begotten! ...That's not working? Joy.]
Such a lovely bunch, there. Though I guess it's vaguely reassuring in a 'misery loves company' sort of way to know that mages still have their own issues. In my circles, there's a lot of resentment towards mages since they're commonly believed to have stumbled into supernatural power without an obvious downside. I think I've figured out some of the trouble. There's the risk of Paradox enforcing a climate of secrecy, and the raw and versatile power of Supernal magic comes with the downside of spectacular failure, hence all the warnings about hubris and using magic responsibly.

Raum: We've all encountered a troll like him. There's a reason I'm careful about where I go online. It doesn't help that I'm quite opinionated.

Mandy Grace: If Scelesti can use Paradox, I can see the benefit of having a Sleeper on their team, risky as it may be. Aside from that, I have a policy to not underestimate "mere mortals," so I'm glad to know you're paying close attention to her. I don't know the nature of the foretelling you mention, but that's all the more reason to keep eyes on her... and hope the important role she'll play isn't a vital distraction.

ZiggyZapf

Sorcerer of Autumn
Validated User
(On top of the Silver Tower Hotel, Buena Vista)
Spoiler: Show

"I don't like it." Ziggy set down his binoculars. On the horizon is a skyscraper under construction.

Kristen raised an eyebrow, producing a spark, "What about it?"

"The timing. It's March, and they're building at a furious pace. It'll be finished in less than a year." He paced back and forth on the roof, glaring at the site.

She tilted her head, "Wait. This have something to do with that weird and wild 'birthday party' you talk about? What kind of shit have you gotten yourself into?"

"Well, you've gotten quick on the uptake. Know what my actual birthday is?"

"It's not March 1st?"

"February 29th. Every year, especially the years without one. Leap years are generally letdowns. And I have the feeling it's going to fight my weird time shit with its own weird time shit."

She buried her face in her palm, "Okay, let me guess: You picked a fight with someone or something big."

Ziggy nodded, "Basically Mecha-Cthulhu. The God-Machine. I think it's finally retaliating, and I think I may have to broaden my understanding of 'subtle.' They're building where the hurricane damaged those offices beyond repair. The worst part is that is that I looked into the bureaucracy behind the building permits. The metadata showed they were written before the hurricane. Same date as the documents for the demolition of the original buildings. I don't know which thought is scarier: That it predicted where the hurricane would hit, or if it made the hurricane hit that part of town. Probably the latter."

The elemental stared, "Seriously? How did you pick a fight with that? It's bad enough they can do that sort of thing over there, but something that can fuck with global weather over here? Did you go cyber-gremlin on it or something?"

Ziggy noded, "Essentially. Apparently it's a side effect of some Gremlin code I integrated into my body for my escape. The Machine's Infrastructure produces a sort of spiritual exhaust called Aether. The Unchained use it as a power source, like Glamour for us. For me, well, it drives me wild on my birthday-"

"-And you start throwing monkey wrenches into its workings on a day that shouldn't exist. Wonderful. Sounds like you should call in that Night guy for advice, since he's one of those 'Unchained' demons."

The lagomorph drooped his ears more than usual, "Bit of a problem, there. He's an Integrator, and I'm sympathetic to the Saboteurs."

Arcs of lightning pulsed from Kristen, "Integrator? You mean he's a Loyalist or something?"

Ziggy grumbled, "Unfortunately. He means well from all appearances, but he thinks the 'Temple' is God's malfunctioning multitool, and that he and other Integrators can fix it. So, I'm thinking it's better he doesn't know. I'm on the lookout for a Saboteur here in BV I met in a prophetic dream."

"So, what's he look like?"

Ziggy sighed, "That's the tricky part. Demons wear human identities like outfits. The one in my dream was just a voice inside a chest, bound in leather like a book... asking for donations to a revolution in the past. So yeah, I'm trying to be ready for lots of weird time shit, working with a Demon who might not even exist anymore. As if my life wasn't already bonkers enough."

After a long, awkward silence, Kristen gestures towards the door, "Well, let me know if you figure something out I can help with. I've got preparations for the Spring Revel to attend to."

After the door closed, Ziggy looked back to the construction site, feeling so much smaller than usual, "What the fuck am I going to do?"

The Watcher

Validated User
Batsheva: A chronically immature and underconfident young women, this Witch can be best described as a lost lamb with prophetic abilities. [Also, a source of unwelcome flashbacks to my school days. There but for the grace of the gods...] She is a perpetual outcast and in the middle of a perpetual existential crisis, which is why she was probably vulnerable to cult recruitment. As far as the proper Quorum goes, she's the one who Clover has his hooks in deepest; she's developed an outright obsessive view of him, and I was given a front-row seat to outright romantic jealousy of my infiltration identity that went into outright eerie territory. [Sadly for her and Tim, Ben likes skinny girls.] She's the least corrupted by the Abyss, but given how Thrush seems to spend much of his time dissuading her from stalking Clover, I doubt if she's anything resembling the weak link. In the cabal, she takes up the position of researcher and recruiter, as her fanatical devotion to Clover makes her an adept orator when praising him.
I am surprised she hasn't made any attempts to develop enough facility at the Life Arcanum to shape herself to fit Clover's tastes. Granted it would take a lot of time and effort but Love and Obsession have driven people to take comparably more drastic measures.

Jabez: Clover's apprentice, and one of two Scelesti. From what Cichol was able to find out, Jabez suffers from clinical depression, which ruined his ability to control his magic [Ironically, he's a Moros.] and eventually caused the Adamantine Arrow to proclaim him Vidantus, ie retired from combat, without his permission. [Given how Vidanti are literally supposed to be people who are too PTSD-ridden to fight any more, wow his Convocation were dicks.] Clover sensed his emotional turmoil when he was preparing to kill himself and talked him out of it, and he has been by his side ever since. I suspect that he knows he is corrupted by the Abyss and is at peace with it, but refuses to divest Clover of his delusions of purity for fear of taking over the Quorum when he regards their leader as his friend and better at it than he ever would be. [If you're reading this, J, keep an eye on Thrush. He really doesn't like people who may cut Ben's puppet strings, even by accident.] Besides being a capable and talented artisan when it comes to woodwork [He's even making a throne for his boss, which is quite appealing if you don't mind the R'yleh Impressionist influences.], Jabez is the face man for the cabal and frequently serves as the first line of security. He's unfortunately perceptive.
Was Jabez's depression diagnosed before he was declared Vidantus or was this something only discovered during your own observations? If the former I'm surprised there was no effort to treat him first. Awakened are rare enough that excluding a potentially useful and loyal one from one's group is not done lightly. And considering the possibilities that magic offers, skilled mage treatments for clinical depression should be much more effective than mundane methods.

Raum: The other Scelestus, and for lack of a better term Thrush's handler. Originally he seems to have been Clover's mentor, but Thrush usurped that position, and it doesn't take long to realize that he resents that to no small degree. Beyond his jealousy, though, Raum suspects Thrush has an agenda, not the least because he can tell what real Abyssal corruption is. Much to my eternal shame, I have him to thank for escaping without major injuries. [Hardly the most evil contact we've ever had, though. Raum needs to be more cannibalistic and trollish to be anywhere near Sanjha's level.] When not quietly compiling evidence on Thrush's purity, Raum is the summoner (assisted by his type of Thrysus Scelesti specializing in breaking spirits of the Shadow to his will), lawyer, and literal houndmaster of the Quorum, as a few bite marks on Sutter show. [Steve, it seems, is the karmic sponge of the Knights.] As a side note, he has an extraordinarily annoying habit of arguing against any political position at all using deliberately poor logic; he seems to find people tied into rhetoric knots amusing.
What sort of relationships does he have with the others profiled here? Who would he most likely to choose as allies in an effort to regain his previous position?

Mandy Grace: One of the two guerillas I mentioned, Grace is actually a Sleeper, but as far as I can tell is probably the most dangerous psychologically. Everything I've read about her suggests she's a diagnosable psychopath, more or less born with sadistic urges and having little desire to restrain them. She seems to feel affectionate towards Clover, which is the main reason she personally joined Thrush's army, but the reason she was allowed in is because the Brotherhood has foretold that she's an important player in Clover's story. Her sadism makes a natural sounding board for Clover's suffering-focused style of magic and theology. Of course, that's also why I suspect Thrush funneled her into the guerillas; she'd very easily become the puppetmaster given how desperate Clover is for affection and hitting all his standards of beauty, not to mention her abilities with verbal abuse are honestly rather impressive. [Also, one-woman reason why I don't like thinking about the cult; she's good at cold-reading people and figuring out their ethnicity-related trauma. I don't think I've cried that hard in years.] Still, she has one weakness, and that's he lack of inherent empathy, she honestly doesn't realize how imprecise initial impressions can be. [And for that, I am spitefully grateful. Fear things are more therapeutic than watching the alpha bitch trip over herself before running away in fear because the "cuckolded [insert lesbian slur here]" completely turned the situation around.]
If the Brotherhood is the main reason she was allowed in I suspect Thrush will arrange an "accident" for her when he finally decides to move against them. He doesn't seem the type to tolerate potential threats to his prominence if he doesn't have to. And considering her abusive nature, it wouldn't be hard for him to find willing accomplices.

Tryzub: The other guerilla, and the one I really don't like the implications of. Quite simply, Tryzub is not an outcast mage like the proper cabal. Or rather, he is, but the kind of outcast who occupies a place in conventional Awakened society. Tryzub is an active and involved member of the Guardians of the Veil, specifically an Interfector. [They're essentially the Official Hard Men Making Hard Decisions of the Hard Men Making Hard Decisions Order.] From what I could tell, he contained an extremely violent Paradox a few years before he met the Quorum in which he had visions of the "faceless angels", Abyssal entities that seem to embody use of the Abyss to safeguard and protect the world. [Nietzsche would have a field day.] He initially ignored them - but then the position of Interfector was reduced to mere functionality in his Convocation, and unlike his peers he was not reassigned. Feeling emasculated and already primed to possess a messiah complex, Thrush was able to convince him that the faceless angels were being entirely honest and that Clover is the Hieromagus, which as a cultural meme is actually something native to his own Order. He serves as a link to conventional mage society and as interrogator, something he would be good at even if he wasn't a Mastigos. [Though now, I suspect, he's only going to be an interrogator, or dead. You do not betray the Guardians.]
Faceless angels are quite likely more than just images from Tryzub's subconsciousness. In the early 1700's I was attacked by a trio of fanatical witchhunters who made the fatal error of mistaking me for a mortal mage. The endowments they utilized, which would have been quite effective against their chosen quarry, proved not so useful against me. After dispatching my would-be murderers I interrogated their ghosts, which is when I first learned about a very secretive conspiracy ostensibly part of the Anglican Church.

I said ostensibly because after further research and delving intermittently over many years, I discovered that those at higher levels of initiation did not worship the Christian God at all, but instead are devoted to appeasing strange entities they perceive as faceless angels, killing "witches" and destroying magic so such will not draw their full attention to the world. Their main weapon against magicians, The Goetic Gospels, according to their secret lore are derived from the dreams of those entities. They allow Knights to summon spirits capable of interfering in various ways with mages and their magic.

Altogether their description of the entities and observation of how their Gospels work collectively gave me the impression they were associated with the Abyss, and the above vision of Tryzbub is yet more confirmation of that belief.

Last edited:

aceofalmonds

Beneviolent Cryptid
Validated User
Woo, another one of these! Looks like this is mostly outside of my area of expertise, but hey, I could always use more info. I think...yeah, I talked with about half of you on the last foray into horror-land (sorry about the bail, there, had a few issues closer to home crop up, but hey, I got a pay raise out of it! Metaphorically). For everyone else, call me Morgan Black, resident blood-sucker and info-broker of the late great LA. I'm of the opinion that titles come with targets, so don't expect me to bandy them about.

That said...yeesh, mages. Call me when they start with the blood magic, then I might be able to help. This little cabal sounds like no fun at all. I mean, I've got a thing against psuedo-Abrahamic tripe to begin with, and their level of double-think has got to be hard on anyone trying non-murder tactics. And with the couple of beatsticks they have, I don't have a lot of faith in murder tactics.

..Say, does the Circle of the Crone count as a feminist organization? Just curious about opinions on that.

Leliel

SJ Road Warrior
Validated User
responses_while_work.zip

@ Black: Depends on which strain of feminism, I think. They are extremely stringent about ritual roles tied to gender, but at the same time they are extremely permissive about who takes them. At least, as far as I know. The Circle is one of the Covenants I am less familiar with. [Really, blood sorcerers in general. We just don't have the same interests.] I know they're a relatively recent alliance of old religions that exalt the Kindred condition, but not much else. [What he does know comes mostly from me, and most of that comes from the cihuateteo. They consider the Circle poseurs and thieves of Aztec culture, so I consider them biased.] (For the record, they are not divine ghosts of women who died in childbirth, they are living priestesses who seem to have become part-Strix.)

@ Meriui:

Batsheva: In all probability she lacks a mentor for it, and given her own insecurities she may believe it would not be the real Batsheva Clover would be attracted to.

Jabez: [As far as we can tell, it was us who figured it out first, but seriously, Vidanti are supposed to be voluntary retirees. The very fact they forced it on him is a sign they were part of the alpha-male bullshit part of the Arrow, and I think they would have tossed him out anyway for not being a walking stereotype.]

Raum: Jabez most likely, but I would not rule out Batsheva if (or more likely when) he convinces her to take up Abyssal magic.

Grace: [Believe me, he'll have to wait in line. I can fly, I get to peck out that harpy's eyes first.]

Tryzub: I actually encountered those Knights before, and know them as interiors of the "dragonslayers". I thought they were more Astral in nature, but their behavior ties into both how Tryzub himself behaves and independent records of the Faceless Angels. [Cichol says they're a bogeyman of the Silver Ladder, a personification of how easily the Sage can become the Lion by use of means impossible to justify with the ends - in layman's terms, how a good leader becomes an asshole.]

ZiggyZapf

Sorcerer of Autumn
Validated User
To: Forum

@Black: I'm not as familiar with older waves of feminism, but these days, most feminists I know tend to reject the need for explicit gender roles or any assertion of gender supremacy. Among Changelings, the Wyrd does tend to push women towards the roles of maiden, mother, or crone, and some female changelings use those roles as motifs and tropes to influence events. I'm sure many people here can understand the wearing of multiple masks. As for the Circle of the Crone specifically, can't say I've had any experience with them, just generic 'witch' stories that might not even be vampires.

---

Jabez: [As far as we can tell, it was us who figured it out first, but seriously, Vidanti are supposed to be voluntary retirees. The very fact they forced it on him is a sign they were part of the alpha-male bullshit part of the Arrow, and I think they would have tossed him out anyway for not being a walking stereotype.]
Don't know enough about the circumstances specifically, but if that attitude is a commonplace thing over there, I think I'll move them down on the list of Pentacle organizations to consider meeting with. I get enough of that sort of crap from non-mage humans about that, involving my height. (William Allington is my friend.)

--Ziggy Zapf

Patkin

ougikawa
Validated User
Utilizing the arcanum of Life as a means of changing form is... often easier and more difficult than you can imagine. I've been affiliated with a Legacy referred to as Princes of the Many Masks for a number of years, and it's only been recently that wearing another's face has not been an exhausting tax on my time or thoughts. The capacity to relax in a shape, not merely wear it as a uncomfortable mask for long enough to get by, that takes quite a bit of effort and training to accomplish.

Frankly, it's the kind of thing that leads me to envy regarding the demons Sir Night belongs among.

I believe that I've met Tryzub on one occasion; or at least I crossed paths with an Interfector calling themselves that. It's always a bit difficult to tell with the ritual masks and the ritual forbiddence and so on. I had been sent to recover some unredacted texts on the various forms the Scelesti can take, stolen by a Free Counciler who wished to sign over his soul to the Abyss. My cabal and I managed to capture him and recover the texts, and then turned him over to the local Consilium. They judged that he had successfully sworn himself over, and so the proper thing to do was execute him.

Tryzub, as was the apparent custom, was left to the role of axeman.

I didn't feel this way at the time, but with reflection (and judicious use of postcognition), it certainly appeared as if Tryzub took the incursion of his domain by one of the Scelesti personally. Perhaps it was from before his decline, or perhaps he was simply looking to protect his own secrets and didn't appreciate the competition.

Gemini.

Top Bottom