[CofD] Sir Night Compiles Night Horrors: The Unbidden (In-Character Let's Read)

The Watcher

Validated User
Ziggy reads the note, grinning in a bit of a calculated way. "Yep, you can try that." He pulls out a large copper d20, "I think it's important enough for this. Roll to see if you succeed." He sets down a rolling pad to protect the table from the heavy die, prevent it from rolling off the table, and hands the heavy piece of copper over.
Prospero takes the offered die, wondering if it was just for a game or if this was part of some final mystic test to verify his identity and intentions. Whatever the case, his arcane senses would reveal it in a moment.

The ghost wolf climbs up the table, unseen and unheard by anyone else and leans forward in a whisper, "One hundred thirty-two years, nine months, four days, twenty-three hours, nine minutes, and twelve seconds. Give or take a few seconds, what with free will and all." She waits to see the reaction before jumping down and returning to her resting spot.
Not able to respond out loud to an invisible entity without looking odd to his fellow players, Prospero merely mouthed "that's interesting" silently. Then he rolled the die.

OOC: Purified have an Unseen Sense like mages that enables them to detect the use of any type of supernatural power, so if the roll is doing anything mystic Prospero will sense it.

ZiggyZapf

Sorcerer of Autumn
Validated User
No supernatural effects accompany the dice roll. Given the focus from the group on the upcoming dice roll, it's likely Ziggy prepared this for a distraction, given that knows you're employing a mage who works better with less Sleeper attention.

The Watcher

Validated User

As everyone else's attention was focused on his die roll and the DM's narration of how it resolves, Prospero hit SEND on his phone to text a pretyped "Now!" to his partner in crime. As a phone in his library received the message, so did its spiritual projection which the immortal had given to his accomplice. Seeing it was time to act, the former Mage turned spirit called upon her connection with the Supernal to overcome the Gauntlet and overlap her location with Prospero's.

To anyone without arcane senses, such as everyone focused on the activity at the game table besides himself and probably Zapf and his companion, nothing noticible occurred. But anyone with occult perception might take note that something had happened. If anyone who had the proper Sight active were present they would have seen the translucent images of a woman and another room's contents appear.

Immediately spotting the box, the woman quickly moved to touch it while the game focused attention elsewhere. An instant later it was gone, moved to the other place which then itself went away as the woman ended the effect which had merged the two locales.

OOC: The Space 3 effect Co-Location occurred, with Spirit 3 incorporated to overlap an Earth location with a Shadow one. The intra-party argument triggered by Zan's likely failure probably had everyone looking at the gaming group while The Box was moved.

Last edited:

Seeks-the-Truth

Validated User
good_souls_gone_bad.zip

I perceive some truth in Ziggy Zaph's warning concerning tinkering with souls within this account, but this also leads me to ponder: was it was the gulmoth who altered the Ludin sisters? Or was it they who reshaped themselves, knowingly or unknowingly, with the gulmoth's nature merely serving as a catalyst? Either way, it would seem they have not hesitated to profit from this.

But what will happen with all that Paradox they have absorbed, upon their deaths? I would like to believe it ceases to be if it has not already, or at the very least is absorbed by one of the other sisters -- but if so, what happens once the last of them dies? I do not know what such a culmination of Paradox would become, and I would prefer not to find out firsthand.

ZiggyZapf

Sorcerer of Autumn
Validated User
(Over at Gamer's Hollow)

Ziggy glances around briefly as he senses something happening with his Kenning, but immediately locks his eyes back on the table. He's pretty sure he qualifies as a "Sleepwalker" and thus isn't a barrier to Supernal magic, but he doesn't want to risk interfering. He just wants this particular iron out of the fire so he can concentrate on more personal matters. "So, are we escalating to PVP, do you all want to give Zan a chance to explain himself?... Or maybe you want to deal with the fact that all the angry noise has attracted the tomb's guardians?" He begins putting down some mummy miniatures on the battle mat.

---

To: Group
Subject: Always with the Nazis

Way too many of them around these days, but I suppose I'd still be saying that if there was only one around. Their mundane activities were bad enough before I found out they had numerous supernatural dealings. At least they didn't have exclusive access to it. (Some of the 'code' for my fae body was copied from a gremlin who worked for the RAF, sabotaging the Luftwaffe. Long story.)

Madame LaTourre: Hadn't met her personally, but whenever there are rumors she might be in BV, the local Goblin Market starts assembling a special fruit basket to bribe her into leaving.

The Watcher

Validated User
(Over at Gamer's Hollow)

Ziggy glances around briefly as he senses something happening with his Kenning, but immediately locks his eyes back on the table. He's pretty sure he qualifies as a "Sleepwalker" and thus isn't a barrier to Supernal magic, but he doesn't want to risk interfering. He just wants this particular iron out of the fire so he can concentrate on more personal matters. "So, are we escalating to PVP, do you all want to give Zan a chance to explain himself?... Or maybe you want to deal with the fact that all the angry noise has attracted the tomb's guardians?" He begins putting down some mummy miniatures on the battle mat.
Feeling the magical effect end, Prospero glanced to confirm that the extraction was complete. Satisfied that the Box was now in his shadow sanctum behind wards that would greatly hamper those not permitted from accessing or even locating it, he turned his full attention to the game. He found the session quite enjoyable, especially the part where he managed to swap the idol for yet another figurine in his bag and convinced the party that was the one he had swiped from the pedestal before they were rudely interrupted by the tomb's guardians. He quite tempted to get back into gaming during his leisure time.

After the game he thanked Zapf for his DMing and gave him one of his cards with contact info. Then he went to go grab some dinner and then go back to his hotel room. He could have just called his friend and asked for her to transport him as she had the box but he decided to just take a return flight back home. Might as well take the time to see some of the sights of interest while he was in this part of the country. And more importantly, he wanted to see just how closely the group that wanted the Box was scrutinizing its whereabouts. If anyone came seeking him to ascertain where it went during the game then he would know it was very closely indeed.

---

Subject: Always with the Nazis

Way too many of them around these days, but I suppose I'd still be saying that if there was only one around. Their mundane activities were bad enough before I found out they had numerous supernatural dealings. At least they didn't have exclusive access to it. (Some of the 'code' for my fae body was copied from a gremlin who worked for the RAF, sabotaging the Luftwaffe. Long story.)
Subject: Re: Always with the Nazis

Speaking as someone who has been fighting Nazis since the Second and hopefully final World War, it frankly enrages me that such an evil ideology has enjoyed a resurgence in this day and age. And while I do not turn my occult abilities and skills against mundane followers of that creed on a regular basis, the same can not be said of its supernatural adherents. While not my primary occupation, I have devoted some of my time and resources throughout the years hunting down members of the Reich who had managed to gain some measure of supernatural power, especially the kind which grants life extension or the ability to walk in the world beyond death. Be they Kindred, Blood Bather, Lich or other type of immortal, if they are a Nazi I have made it a point to end to their existence to deny them an eternity they do not deserve and keep them from assisting any would-be heirs to their vile philosophy. Call it...volunteer work.

As for the Ludin Sisters specifically, I had heard of their continued survival before but had prioritized other, more supernaturally potent targets that I thought at the time could cause more potential harm. The information shared here makes me think that may have been error on my part. The network of clients they currently have gives them much indirect power, and unless someone intervenes it's only a matter of time before they encounter a mage who actually shares their values and make a firm alliance with him. I have a lot on my plate right now but if some of that sample of Marta's blood was shared with me I would be happy to be the onel who intervenes when I have the opportunity.

--Prospero

Last edited:

Leliel

SJ Road Warrior
Validated User
(OOC: The thread is not dead, just got eaten by cram school in calculus. Will have free time in August.)

Last edited:

Leliel

SJ Road Warrior
Validated User
why_you_shouldnt_get_close_to_your_subjects.zip

It may be incorrect grammar that I can fix. I do not care. [In the immortal words of every overworked sitcom character: We. Have had. The worst. Month.]

On the plus side, we now know exactly what Oikia Foetia has become, and exactly how she works. On the minus side, we know this through experience. I will post more on the Walker in Visions later, but for now, know that when one is dealing with a living, sentient pattern of Fate magic, assume Murphy's Law is less of a figure of speech advising caution and more Newton's Fifth Law of Motion. [No, we didn't miscount, there's four of them.]

At least the accidental cause behind our incalculably frustrating month, Madame LaTourre, is as mentioned a wonderful conversationalist and, to be frank, something of a friend. If only she was in control of her stomach.

Madame LaTourre is, as far as I can tell, what Awakened often call one of the Bound; a powerful Supernal entity permanently adapted to life in the Fallen World, usually as a curse/imprisonment. [And usually quite grumpy about it.] The term, however, really doesn't seem to apply to LaTourre, who is for all intents and purposes an eccentric but otherwise completely socially normal mambo, a female priest of one of the various cultural types of Vodun-Louisiana Voodoo, to be precise. She has no particular restriction on her movements, is not troubled at all by being largely indistinguishable from a normal human until she activates her abilities, and doesn't even suffer any particular Bans or Banes. In fact, it is entirely possible she was born to normal human parents and she is a reincarnation of a Bound who was never actually Bound, since all of her backstories, even the ones she was born a goddess to gods, revolve around being relatively poor and an outsider due to her mixed heritage. [Yes, backstories; her past is multiple choice, and when I asked her if she genuinely remembered all these contradictory stories or if she just enjoyed messing with people, her exact answer was "yes."] She may not actually be a Bound either, since I have seen no evidence she is a Supernal being beyond her frequent association with the divine, her reddish eye color (hence the sobriquet GeRouge), her ability to perceive the Supernal similarly to a true mage, apparent unaging life for the past century, and being a thaumavore.

And it's that last bit that has caused us so much trouble. {Being precise, Foetia somehow led her into the storehouse of a rival Arisen of Neferyah's and let her eat her fill. Somehow, Night's gang didn't suffer major causalities, but Steve is still in a full-body cast. - Cichol} While I honestly don't think she's Abyssal in any way, her motives are far too human and irrational in a way I can understand, and Cichol can confirm [Tim ain't stupid, he knows when he's deciding something based on the fact he likes talking with her.], she is not here to pervert magic, she just has the capacity to eat it in the place of normal nutrition. How it happens even looks like eating; she finds a good stand-in for a mystical effect of any caliber she wishes to absorb, usually by finding an object it is tied to and either biting it or licking it, symbolically and literally eating it. And by any mystical effect, I mean any non-instantaneous effect, not just Supernal power; Imbued items and Artifacts, certainly, but warding spells, ongoing curses, the elements binding a spirit to an Uratha fetish, the corporeal body of ephemeral beings (barring ghosts-she thinks of them as people, and she's not willing to resort to cannibalism, even for a new taste), even including my Gadgets due to their Aether component; I actually developed a relationship with her by giving her free one-off Gadgets that don't take too much of my will to produce. [This has given us the name "the Evil Golden Arches,"; munches on them like chicken. I still want to be paid back for that charm, by the way.] This allows her to attempt suck the entire effect into herself, completely eradicating it and sending her into what I can only describe as a chemical high; according to her, she undergoes sense hallucinations where she can taste whatever magic she's digesting, and it sends her into a euphoric state that often influences her personality (eating my Gadgets put in in an extremely focused, hyperalert state, the Vestiges in an Arisen's storehouse caused her to become manic and sure of her godhood, a curse preventing Mr. Sutter from healing morbid and calm, and a Twisting Maze Zone-a type of gulmoth from the Abyss freed before I finally gave up and destroyed that wretched box-caused her to become irrational and prone to hearing voices). More than that, her body adapts to said spell; for a relatively short time afterwards (up to a week, depending on the effect she ate), any supernatural effect akin to what she devoured is something she's completely immune to harmful influences from, such as becoming completely heat-tolerant in regards to a Stigmatic's abilities after devouring a Gadget grenade I made, completely invisible to Cichol's hexes after he fed her one of his nastier curses. For the next month after she digests an effect, she is also increasingly resistant to any supernatural effects, similar to how a powerful esohuman is harder to affect-given how much she eats, this generally means she is next-to-impossible to enchant in some way without her approval.

This is not the problem; LeTourre has an obscure agenda, but she seems to regard herself as a mythological trickster, of sorts; her purpose in life is to make others love life as much as she does, and to be true to themselves beyond restricting social structures. She does not wish to emotionally scar people by, say, devouring their familiars or a blessing keeping someone critically ill alive. The problem is that she has the very definition of an addictive personality; she never finds her thaumavoric euphoria a "bad trip", and given how many variant effects her digestion has on her psyche, she is always looking for a new "flavor," or if it's been a while between thaumavoric feedings any high at all. As with most addicts, this can lead to some extremely self-destructive and hazardous behavior, to her and everyone around her. [Which...really doesn't dispell the "trickster" mythos she's built, come to think of it. Coyote and Loki could be dumb.] If she senses a new mystical effect to her experience, I've even seen her grow outright obsessive-compulsive about eating it. [Hence, why there is a very, very angry Deathless alchemist we barely placated by pointing him at the root cause not being her or us.] So yes, she's very much a force of chaos. Occasionally, after eating something that really amps up her ego, she'll occasionally claim to want to eat all wonder in the world, but I think that's a product of her being high than any truth; normally, she ironically finds the destruction of magic to be utterly disgusting; when she eats, she's hungry and jonesing, not hateful.

Of course, restraining her from eating something important is still a good idea. As far as her abilities in combat go, she's not particularly tougher than most trained combatants, though I must say she's extremely good at Capoeira knife-fighting. Mentally, though, she's a genius and possesses outright superhuman reflexes, as well as being an expert on most areas of the occult, especially folk magic and performative rituals. [Makes me wonder if she knows any Sin-Eaters. Who knows, maybe she's what happens when one of them achieves enlightenment.] Apart from her adaptation and magic-devouring (I haven't tested if she can use it reflexively to absorb an effect on her, it seemed unethical and she was not a fan of the idea), she lacks any major supernatural capabilities, but her activities have drawn a cult of Banishers and the most xenophobic kind of hunters to her, destroying the esoteric in her name, the "Loa of the Natural World." That LaTourre herself finds them embarrassing, counterproductive, and frightening will not stop them from trying to protect her. {Which would be the other reason our Arisen friend was pissed-they discovered he was an immortal enemy of hers, that he had a cult, they murdered a couple members of the cult...I will say that, whatever his faults, he looks after his goons.}

Next time, I will examine a more definite demigod, and one I would have no problems with killing, Metathron, the Woeful Angel.

Seeks-the-Truth

Validated User
metaphysic_ponderings.zip

This account of Madame LaTourre is intriguing, to say the least. If my pet theory on human souls still holds true, and if she truly is a reincarnation of a Supernal entity, I am led to wonder if the origin of her esohuman characteristics is not so different compared with the hereditary nature of my own kind. She is someone I would be interested in conversing with were I to have an opportunity to do so.

As for the certain "sentient pattern of Fate magic" mentioned, it sounds as though she is personally defining Murphy's Law as a concept here rather than it defining her, compared to how Spirits are embodying existing concepts rather than defining them. If so, perhaps a ward addressing fate on a conceptual level might help dampen or interfere with her influence, provided such a form of protection exists? I do have an idea or two if she somehow starts causing trouble over here, but to be forewarned and forearmed would be more preferable.

Leliel

SJ Road Warrior
Validated User
murphy's_child.zip

On LaTourre; that would be interesting. She's certainly human enough to have something we might recognize as a soul.Then again, so do I, and I am a literal alien robot. It's quite fascinating.

On Foetia: You would be correct, but I think Foetia is defined by concepts other than mere accidents and pessimism about mechanical problems. After learning from Neferyah what her original self was like, I feel she has become more a spirit of Doom in general; she has removed her mortality and replaced it with the image of her patron, the Ruin, Exarch of Fate, the Queen of Nine, the Nonary Sorrow. How deserves its own post, but Foetia has traded free will for immortality; she may only truly exist within the confines of a prophecy, but any prophecy that allows her to interfere allows her to exist. She has become a harbinger of her gods, and for this, they have allowed her to continue her service for all time.

No wonder she got along with Arisen.

Top Bottom