• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[COH] The City of Heroes Legacy Megathread - Part 2 [READ REDTEXT IN POST #1]

Gojira

in a rubber monster suit
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The other thing that's different is I'm pretty sure Homecoming is still doing 1.5 times XP on weekdays. So if you play Monday through Friday you get some bonus XP.

Other important stuff: The P2W Vendor (Pay To Win) has the veteran bonus rewards, and sells XP boosters too, for no Influence. You can at any time decide to increase your XP to +25%, or +50%, or +100%, with a corresponding reduction in Influence gain. So you trade XP for Inf, which is often a good deal. Do that for a Task Force or a Death From Below and you can gain levels very quickly. (Mothership Raids are great for +100% XP.)

For both the bonus XP and the travel powers like jetpack, you can buy them multiple times to have multiple hours stacked up. The Jetpacks max out at five hours I think, and the XP boost maxes out at around three or fours hours, each click to "buy" it being one hour.

dreamfarer

Man of Two Worlds
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Homecoming did extend the game a bit beyond where it was at the end of live, though not quite as egregiously as coxg seems intent on doing.

Some small additions (beyond moving the microtransaction stuff to free) include the addition of new IO sets, some of which has an important impact on how character can be built (in particular there's a Knockback-to-Knockdown converter which changes some powers from awful to excellent). They also "proliferated" a number of sets to AT's which could reasonably have access to them but didn't for whatever reason (like Mastermind getting Kinetics as a support set).

The biggest seeming change is the addition of a whole new AT -> the Sentinel. Live didn't have a Ranged / Defense AT unless you could the Epic archetypes, and Sentinels are much wider than them. That falls closer to the "added it cause it's kewl" but unlike coxg, the Homecoming devs seem to have a clue as to balancing things out so that Sentinels are neither terrible nor overwhelmingly awesome. There's still plenty of reason to play a Scrapper who lacks a Sentinel's range or a Blaster who lacks their defense, but also a fun and viable experience to go for Sentinel, which is the mark of a good design.

A new AT is the most obvious point of change, but I think the most effective difference may be more subtle, and that's what they've done with the Auction House and the economy overall.

On live, there were IOs which sold for more than maximum influence a character could hold. The chance of ever making a build with them was effectively zero unless you were extremely serious about playing the market with multiple characters and making billions of influence as a game unto itself.

That disparity in value ranged all the way down the market too with particular items at each of the price points down to a few million or hundred thousand for junky stuff.

In Homecoming, that disparity has been flattened enormously by a few principal forces. First, and most importantly, there are Enhancement Converters. These allow you to change one enhancement type to another. This means that the gap between the cheapest and most expensive IOs is limited because you can change one into the other (within some constraints).

Secondarily, there's the fact that they seeded the AH with an effectively infinite stock of Salvage at a set price and you can be guaranteed to be able to make IOs for a fairly stable cost (you can also sell salvage, you just have to sell below what the infinite stock is price at).

Lastly they changed the drop rate for the most highly sought after IOs - Purples and PvP IOs to drop not only more often but also from any mobs that a level 50 fights. So you've got a much better supply than on live even with few players.

Oh, and I almost forgot, by introducing Veteran Levels which give badges (each level equating to a month of play for the old Vet badges) + crafting materials for Incarnate stuff, there's more reason to continue playing a character once you hit 50, and so people are running all kinds of Task Forces and other group content because there are characters around who can make it easy and fun.

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
Yeah, although a lot of that stuff was on live, if only on the test server. Sentinels and Veteran Levels are probably the biggest changes (as the devs would proliferate sets all the time on live when they could anyway).

Brightfires

Dances with a Death Mage
Validated User
Fun screen of the day...
Familiar people in less than familiar variations. XD

So, I have several different "versions" of my main character, Kaikara…
Primarily, the original rogue and her identically-built and -equipped heroic "alter ego" White Thorn.

Up until this point, though, her partner BioRogue ("Blue" to his friends... or just "B" to Kai-) has been limited to only one side of the City world. Shiny hero-guy that he is, he had never left Paragon.

Well, it turns out that sometimes even a total boy scout can find reasons to walk on the wild side.

That flashy guy in black and grey, running with the young Death Mage? That's the mysterious Ebon Warden.
AKA... A brand new "purple-side" rogue version of B, quite determined to help his girlfriend clean up the Isles.

Most of their friends don't know about Blue's new hobby yet... But Kai's already bracing for accusations of being a "bad influence" from a few of them. XD

Last edited:

Kinghuge

Miniature Giant Space Hamster
Validated User
Another thing I would mention about enhancement converters is how easy theyve made it to fund IOing a character. They sell in the AH for around 80k to 100k each, people use them for rolling purples to try and get the best sets, and you can get hundreds of them fairly easily if youre willing to trade in reward merits. Ive kitted out most of my chars with IOs and my petless MM has half a dozen decent sets in her powers now, pretty much all of which has been funded by selling converters.

Also had a funny moment the first time I ever tried converting a purple when I changed an IO from a set that was considered to be fairly mediocre into an Apocalypse mod worth 22-24 million inf.

Kuildeous

Validated User
To say the least. There's a special level one task force that lets you get from 1 to 10 in about 30 minutes. It's call Death From Below and you can typically find people advertising for it on both the LFG channel and in broadcast in the newbie zones. Maybe you knew about that but I just thought I'd mention it. That's not a thing Homecoming added, that was there from around Issue 22.

Also there's new content designed for new players (again somewhere around Issue 22, when they started their free to play push). Start with the tutorial in Galaxy city (not the old Outbreak / Breakout ones) and you'll get new contacts blue side (I can't recall if red side got anything new, there might be some tweaks or other contacts at level 5 or something).

Also, how long ago exactly did you last play? Did you ever try out the new IOs that you get from the University? Check out the tutorial in Steel Canyon / Cap au Diable at the Uni if not. I think you have to be at least level 10.
Oh man, I can't place exactly when I stopped. They had introduced new content where you travel to another plane or something. When I started those missions and didn't have any fun while doing them, that's when I realized I was burned out and canceled my subscription.

It was after the temporary powers, enhancements, and auction house but apparently before level-4 travel powers, Galaxy City tutorial, and the Death from Below task force. Perhaps a CoX scholar can pinpoint the exact time I left. Like I said, I did start some of that new content in the other dimension/plane/continent/something.

As I go through these levels, I do remember that they had the double-origin enhancements that could be bought at 15 and 20 and then the single-origin enhancements at 25 and up. I recall that slotting those SO (was that the right term?) was a game changer for many of those powers. I'm looking forward to enhancing my ice slick on recharge.

And if I remember, you get very little benefit out of having more than three enhancements of the same type, right? That is in my memory for some reason.

Gojira

in a rubber monster suit
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Oh man, I can't place exactly when I stopped. They had introduced new content where you travel to another plane or something.
Sounds a bit like Issue 18, Going Rogue (actually the issue itself was "Shades of Grey"). They introduced faction switching and the Cathedral of Pain TF. Or you could be thinking of Gold Side, the Praetorian dimension, which also launched with Going Rogue.

SO is the correct term. "Single Origin" Enhancements is the full phrase. It sounds like you might have missed IOs altogether ("Invention Origin" Enhancements). They're as big a game changer over SOs as SOs are. IOs do not wear out with level. And you can do crazy stuff with their Set Bonuses at high levels. Hie thee to a University, I would.

Anyway, if you have questions, just ask. You might also ask about new content on the Help channel, folks are usually pretty good about answering questions. Most low level strategies for leveling don't change, other than to take a poke at the new content. Around level 20 you want to take a serious look at the new IOs, they get really good at that level and don't wear out. They're expensive but worth it. Plan on replacing them around level 35 and then again at 50 for better bonuses.

Hmm, Positron task force has been broken up into two smaller TFs, it's now much more popular to run. You'll often see folks advertising for Posi 1 and Posi 2. on the LFG channel. That's the only other big low level change I can think of, that isn't something Homecoming added like the P2W vendor.

Oh-- Null the Gull. There's a seagull in Pocket D with super powers. It's on the red side of the club, on top of a truck. It can do things like instantly switch your faction (hero, villain) and other cool stuff that I forget right now. Take a peek at it.

Kuildeous

Validated User
Oh yeah, I do remember the university. I think I did craft my own IOs. And I had forgotten all about Pocket D until you mentioned it.

I went ahead and started a new alt for the Nova P missions. Pretty interesting storyline. Then I went and had to try out the Sentinel AT. I'm not sure I'm quite grokking it. Looks like a Blaster/Tanker hybrid without the taunting. I chose Water/Willpower, though I'm not sure if I just suck at it or if it's a trickier combination than expected. Mostly I need to find out what this Opportunity thing is. To the Google!

dreamfarer

Man of Two Worlds
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Water/Willpower is pretty solid and straight forward. Willpower doesn't have a lot of fiddly pieces to manage, it just makes you more durable overall.

Opportunity is the inherent Sentinels get and it's an interesting one. Basically once your bar is charged up, the next shot with either of the first two powers in your list will create an "opportunity" on the mob you shoot. An Offensive Opportunity will make attacks from all sources do more damage to the mob, while a Defensive opportunity will make your attacks return health when you hit the affected mob.

Typically Offensive opportunities are the more useful ones, only because the heal from the Defensive version is kinda low (also more outgoing damage means faster kill speed means less incoming damage to worry about).

Monkey King

Your computer is literally haunted
Validated User
Oh-- Null the Gull. There's a seagull in Pocket D with super powers. It's on the red side of the club, on top of a truck. It can do things like instantly switch your faction (hero, villain) and other cool stuff that I forget right now. Take a peek at it.
I think the free alignment switching was a Homecoming change. The original reason Null the Gull was put there was as a kludge for players to check their progress on the Dimensional Warder badge, since it was a bit of a pain to keep track of who you'd defeated already (especially after they changed the Maria Jenkins arc).

Top Bottom