[COH] The City of Heroes Legacy Megathread [read redtext in post #2,263]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arbane the Terrible

11th-level Minion
Validated User

Moderator Text:

Please read this post regarding the private server code. -Tanka

The old thread was almost at 100 pages, so I'm starting a new one.

Sidekicking (and exemplaring) is one of the things I wish was implemented in other MMOs, preferably in the improved super-sidekicking version.
/signed

Now that I think of it (not being a team person myself), another factor could be the ease of travel; it probably takes much less commitment to join a team for a few missions when you can easily get back to whatever you were doing solo any time you want, rather than having to traverse half the game continent at walking speed.
That's probably a part of it (although getting to some places was STILL a pain, like Cimerora) - I'm very glad that by the end the devs finally decided that having the game be City of Joggers for the first 14 levels was a BAD IDEA.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spectralent

Time for octopi
Validated User
Re: RIP, City of Heroes.

I think it was important to make teaming a positive experience. There's a lot of games where you have to significantly change gameplay style to experience a team benefit; CoX just had regular gameplay but stepped up for a team, and with a commensurate increase in XP and inf.

Bashere

Still has four eyes
Validated User

I'm very glad that by the end the devs finally decided that having the game be City of Joggers for the first 14 levels was a BAD IDEA.
I was so happy to get the vet reward that let me take a move power at level 6. I was even happier when they changed it to everyone getting the power at level 4.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User

Arg, you beat me to making the new thread, Arbane! You're terrible!

Might I humbly suggest/request we ask a mod to rename it to "City of Heroes: Legacy" - since really, that seemed to be the general tone of the last thread towards the end?

NPC New World Order

Grand Moff
Validated User

It kills me that, years later, there are things in CoX that were done so much better than in the vast majority of MMOs. Teaming everywhere should be as easy as it was in CoX

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User

I was so happy to get the vet reward that let me take a move power at level 6. I was even happier when they changed it to everyone getting the power at level 4.
Agreed. I'm still somewhat baffled that Cryptic decided to give you travel powers at 5? 6? for Champions Online when in alpha they had travel powers at creation. DCUO at least went with at creation, and offered a variety of options to off of them IIRC.

Some of the late-issue changes COH had were great, and really showed Paragon wasn't afraid with long-held conventions. Travel powers at 4, adding new tier 5 travel power options, inherent Fitness, etc.

Rolzup

Dinoczar
Validated User

I well remember travelling through the Hollows just after I got Hover at level 6 or so. And just crawwwwlllling through the sky. It was so painfully slow in those early days.

woodsmoke

Armchair Cynic

Chikahiro said:
Phantom Army did damage, grabbed aggro, and absorbed insane amounts of damage while around. The only thing that could threaten them were the Police/Arachnos drones, and that's it.

COH didn't have the "holy trinity," rather, it had three elements that would be found in many (if not all) power sets:

Control - Mez? Tank? Comes in hard, soft, direct, and indirect flavors.
Buff/Debuff - Anything that could positively or negatively affect things, but wasn't actual damage. Healing falls under this, too.
Damage - is, er, killing stuff.
Of all the things I've missed about CoH over the years*, this was at the top of my list. I've said countless times that the most fun I ever had in CoH (if not in gaming period) was locking down entire rooms and basically controlling the flow and outcome of a battle with Blind Marksman. That Tanks and Controllers should share the role of large-scale crowd control while offering different ways of going about it seems the most natural thing in the world to me, and it's something I've been ceaselessly frustrated by in other games, where control is solely the purview of the tank and the only way to execute it is to be big and tough and make sure all the enemies are hitting you instead of the squishies. Where control tanking is easily one of my favorite things in gaming as a medium, aggro tanking bores the crap out of me, and CoH was the only game I'm aware of what actually allowed for both.

Also, as I said in the other thread, (de)buffing as a visibly-effective mechanic rather than an insignificant 2-5% status effect is a thing every game should try to do. Not only does it make combat far more interesting, it also completely obviates the need for in-combat healing in non-fantasy games where it shouldn't be happening in the first place.

*And there have been a lot of them. Customization, sidekick/exemplaring, enhancements that changed how powers worked; CoH didn't hit every ball thrown its way, but when it did it usually knocked it outta' the goddamn park. Which is, naturally, why I can't stop talking/bitching about it 7 years on.

Last edited:

Spectralent

Time for octopi
Validated User

Oh, absolutely agreed. It's one of the things I'm glad GW2 has; most of the conditions and buffs are noticeably potent. Some are a bit short-term, but generally amazing.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User

Even then, tanks could choose between damage resistance and "nyah-nyah, can't hit me!" Tanking is a bit contrived, anyways, but its functional. Was it D&D 4th that tried to create aggri management via "pay attention to me or I'll really mess you up"?

Part of why it worked, IMO, is COH's AI was pretty dumb, couldn't run for help, and one mob was really the same level of threat as another game's lone enemy. Of course, the difference there is reducing s mob meant reducing its abilities, which I think is realistic. Normally, an enemy is a big threat until its dead and buried, since its DPS, ability to use specials, etc., didn't decrease as it neared death (obviously exceptions exist, but you get the idea).

Oh, and of course, the AI would go for the big guy who was less of a threat to their continued existence than the squishies :)

COH with a real AI would be moderately brutal, with Defenders getting sniped right off the bat :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom