[COH] The City of Heroes Legacy Megathread [read redtext in post #2,263]

Status
Not open for further replies.

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
That actually quite interests me since (a) that's some attention to detail, compared to Champions where the female model can, at best, get to 'somewhat thick model' proportions and the muscle morphs there look fairly accurate and (b) I personally like that sort of look for my lady brawlers. I like the classic She-Hulk look too, but the grey Jen from more recently would actually be doable here.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
I think its been noted that small bust makes it easier to make believable adolescents (so you can have characters from Power Pack), "average" Asians (like a ton of my family, actually), normal women (ie, no back breakers), etc.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Massively is starting a new column for super hero games! And they're starting with the legacy of COH. Specifically, Paragon Chat!
https://massivelyop.com/2019/03/02/into-the-super-verse-taking-a-closer-look-at-city-of-heroes-paragon-chat/
Welcome to Massively OP’s brand-new column covering superhero MMORPGs — past, present, and future! One might even say it’s a continuation of our past columns on this subgenre like A Mild-Mannered Reporter and Marvel Heroics. Eliot and I, both long-time superhero game fans, will be alternating in an examination of the games and topics in this field. With multiple titles in development and a few that are live right now, there is plenty of fodder for discussion.

It’s definitely an exciting time to be a superhero MMO fan. The death of City of Heroes in 2012 left a huge hole in this community, but its demise has led to the rise of no less than five projects that seek to carry on its legacy in some way, shape, or form. And it’s one of these that we’ll be looking at today, especially considering that it borrows so much from the long departed CoH.

I’m speaking, of course, of Paragon Chat. If you’ve heard us talking about it around Massively OP — or even seen us visiting it for one of its anniversary parties! — then you’ll know that right now this is the most immediate way to get your City of Heroes fix, even if it isn’t the full deal. So what is Paragon Chat, how do you get it, and what can you do in it? Let’s take a look today!
I might need to check into this again.

James Weatherby

Dour Little Bird
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Well this has been bittersweet. I finally decided to actually install Paragon Chat, instead of just toying with the idea, and spent a while flying around the game. Its so strange to see it this way. All the places so still and empty. Brought back a lot of fond memories, but I feel a bit like I've been looking at a corpse.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Understandable. I've been busy so no messing around with it for me yet. Can people be in the same zones? Might be fun to have an RPG.net get-together one of these days.

James Weatherby

Dour Little Bird
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Understandable. I've been busy so no messing around with it for me yet. Can people be in the same zones? Might be fun to have an RPG.net get-together one of these days.
I think so, but haven't run across anyone myself yet. I've seen mention of them holding costume contests in Atlas Park.

Edit: Yep there are a few folks hanging out in Atlas Park now.

Edit: So everything in the character creator is unlocked, which means you can make whatever you like (and Icon tailors work if you want to fiddle with your look in game) , flight, superspeed, superjump, and teleport work for getting around, and you can still badge hunt, if you liked doing that.

Last edited:

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Well, this is an unfortunate thing:
https://massivelyop.com/2019/03/04/pwe-is-sunsetting-the-foundry-system-in-star-trek-online-and-neverwinter/
So why give up now? PWE suggests the “legacy knowledge required to maintain the Foundry” at its standards is “no longer available.”
The Foundry, IIRC, came after the Mission Architect, so I consider it a legacy of COH. I am wondering if its like the base builder in COH - poorly documented and messily coded? Anyhow, yeah, bummer that :(

mpswaim

Emo Dad
RPGnet Member
Validated User
In STO, at least, they'd been adding assets to it for the past couple of years, so it was receiving at least some love.

Tardigrade

oso de agua
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I wonder if City of Titans will have something like the Mission Architect. In theory, if the devs eat their own dog food and use something like that internally (rather than writing spreadsheets, which I believe is how CoH missions were created originally), they can create the tools and hooks needed for them from the beginning. That would make the MA a matter of opening those tools up for player use (in limited circumstances, of course), rather than creating a new system from scratch.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
City of Titans, and really any of the COH-successors will really need a MA early on since there's simply no competing at launch with the amount of content COH had, nevermind what DCUO and CO have. They *will* need to figure out how to deal with farming and such early on, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom