• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[COH] The City of Heroes Legacy Megathread [read redtext in post #2,263]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabbit Éclair

high in vital bunnytonium
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I was wondering about that! I went this morning and did a ton of crafting to make level 25 IOs for my friends to use (and my other alts) and I notice there was over 1,000,000 of each piece of salvage available with all of them selling to 5k each.

That's an interesting change from the main game where you could count on selling off useful salvage like Lucky Charms for a few hundred thousand inf early on to fund your low level enhancements and then making it up later when you were earning a lot more inf as a high level character.

I'm sure there's folks who are delighted by the change, and I have to admit it is nice to know for certain that low level salvage is available for sure on the AH. I don't think it'll do anything to combat MMO inflation since sales on the AH are a net negative to the economy with the higher the sale the more inf that's taken out. Where they're going to have better luck combating inflation is with things like the Super Packs selling at 10M Inf each. Sure people who can make a billion Inf in a week won't be slowed down by dropping 10M but for a lot of level 50s who aren't focused on making inf that'll offset the piles Inf just playing brings in.

Also, I'm not sure beating Inflation is really a desirable thing in CoH. Being able to feel like you're filthy stinking rich as a level 50 was one of the things that set the game apart.

I suppose with only salvage being capped, the serious marketers will simply turn to recipes to do the same thing. Should be interesting to see where things like Luck of the Gambler:+Recharge and the Purple IOs wind up going.
Yeah, as somebody who did a lot of marketeering on live, I've been trying to puzzle out how this is gonna impact things. I think they chose pretty good numbers for the price ceilings, though--good points to stabilize the prices a bit without clamping down too hard on price spikes. At worst, I think this will make it a bit less common to fund your entire build through level 30 off a lucky salvage drop or two. As I remember it, there were only a handful of rare salvage that routinely sold for higher than 1 million anyway.

Gojira

in a rubber monster suit
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Is all salvage limited to the same values? One way to allow some marketeering I guess would be to limit uncommon and rare salvage to different higher values. This would allow for a bit of a "lucky strike" by low level players while keeping prices sane.

Another might to data mine prices and sales, and see which items are truly more valuable / useful, and allow those to sell at a slightly higher price (Luck Charms, for example). Again would allow for just a bit of additional game play on the market.

Rabbit Éclair

high in vital bunnytonium
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Is all salvage limited to the same values? One way to allow some marketeering I guess would be to limit uncommon and rare salvage to different higher values. This would allow for a bit of a "lucky strike" by low level players while keeping prices sane.
The caps are 10k for common, 100k for uncommon, 1m for rare. Which yeah, should still let you fund yourself for DOs/common IOs with a lucky drop or two. I think the biggest impact will be on things like Luck Charms and a handful of really high-demand rare salvage.

Fedifensor

Validated User
I think the salvage change is wonderful. Gouging someone on common salvage by buying up every one of a particular item and selling that item for 20K each is a jerk move. Great for you, a good example of supply and demand at work, but sucks for everyone who just want to craft that level 10 Accuracy IO...

It’s really ridiculous when I can buy the rare recipe for a few hundred, but have to spend 5 million to get the rare salvage I need to craft it. I had written off many rare IO sets because I’d never have the cash. Now, I can save up for them, and know the maximum price I’ll need to pay.

Gojira

in a rubber monster suit
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It’s really ridiculous when I can buy the rare recipe for a few hundred, but have to spend 5 million to get the rare salvage I need to craft it. I had written off many rare IO sets because I’d never have the cash. Now, I can save up for them, and know the maximum price I’ll need to pay.
The trick to this was to buy some salvage yourself and resell it, gouging the other guy (presumably someone who could afford it) to fund your own purchases. I'm not sure that's actually a better system, but it was doable and you could make it work.

NeoVid

Nerd Rage Never Fades
Validated User
They didn't change the price on Enhancement Converters. They're still auctioning for 200k each, and most people haven't realized you can buy Converters with Merits and then auction 'em. So if you need a reasonable chunk of funds for a character, this change won't kill you.

dreamfarer

Man of Two Worlds
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think the salvage change is wonderful. Gouging someone on common salvage by buying up every one of a particular item and selling that item for 20K each is a jerk move. Great for you, a good example of supply and demand at work, but sucks for everyone who just want to craft that level 10 Accuracy IO...

The problem is, "buying up every one of a particular item" was never a viable option in reality. It's too easy for people to generate more of the common salvage for anyone to keep a lock on the market.

What we saw in the retail servers was people flipping salvage so that those who had no patience at all but a lot of Inf would pay more to have their Luck Charm right this instant, and those who had less Inf but more patience could put a bid up for far lower than the average and get their salvage in a day or two.

The downside was people who didn't want to play the market only saw the high prices of the instant-buyers and would often give up on getting anything, settling for SOs or common IOs.

There was a nice thread by a forum poster on the old CoH forums who's name I can't recall who showed every trade and every step as she went from a brand new character with no outside influence to the Influence cap of 2 Billion in about two weeks, just buying and selling things which everyone had access to.

This change doesn't eliminate that possibility. Flipping salvage is limited by the caps but there's no cap on recipes so the sky's the limit there (and that's where a lot of the high end trading happened anyways - remember the PvP IOs that were trading for more than 2 Billion Influence at one point because demand so far exceeded supply?)

Fedifensor

Validated User
The problem is, "buying up every one of a particular item" was never a viable option in reality. It's too easy for people to generate more of the common salvage for anyone to keep a lock on the market.

What we saw in the retail servers was people flipping salvage so that those who had no patience at all but a lot of Inf would pay more to have their Luck Charm right this instant, and those who had less Inf but more patience could put a bid up for far lower than the average and get their salvage in a day or two.

The downside was people who didn't want to play the market only saw the high prices of the instant-buyers and would often give up on getting anything, settling for SOs or common IOs.
The problem is that in a day or two, the product you wanted to buy may be useless to you. If I hit level 7 and want to buy a Luck Charm so I can make a level 10 Accuracy IO, a few hours of play will get me to level 12+...at which point I’m going to want a level 15 IO. Heck, normal DOs start dropping in that level range, and you may want to start looking at set IOs. Yes, there is a reward for patience...but a markup of 80x the normal sell back price (common salvage sells for 250 to a vendor) is pretty ridiculous.

This change doesn't eliminate that possibility. Flipping salvage is limited by the caps but there's no cap on recipes so the sky's the limit there (and that's where a lot of the high end trading happened anyways - remember the PvP IOs that were trading for more than 2 Billion Influence at one point because demand so far exceeded supply?)
The change may not eliminate abuse, but it does set an upper limit on the insanity.

Dromio

Validated User
The problem is that in a day or two, the product you wanted to buy may be useless to you. If I hit level 7 and want to buy a Luck Charm so I can make a level 10 Accuracy IO, a few hours of play will get me to level 12+...at which point I’m going to want a level 15 IO. Heck, normal DOs start dropping in that level range, and you may want to start looking at set IOs. Yes, there is a reward for patience...but a markup of 80x the normal sell back price (common salvage sells for 250 to a vendor) is pretty ridiculous.

The change may not eliminate abuse, but it does set an upper limit on the insanity.
I was thinking about just going for level 25-30 IO's and being done with the process until I hit 50. A level 25 IO is the same as an SO, and you can't outlevel it, right?

I ask that sincerely; I don't remember messing much with IO's back in the day, probably because I had tons of INF. :)

Victim

Validated User
Well, you could buy stuff in advance. Back in WoW when I cared to do auction house games, I had a full set of plate and mount waiting for my warrior to turn 40. And in RL, if you need stuff now, you pay a lot more for rush jobs and deliveries than if you buy the stuff you'll need two weeks from now and wait for 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom