• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[COH] The City of Heroes Legacy Megathread

dreamfarer

Man of Two Worlds
RPGnet Member
Validated User
City of Titans, and really any of the COH-successors will really need a MA early on since there's simply no competing at launch with the amount of content COH had, nevermind what DCUO and CO have. They *will* need to figure out how to deal with farming and such early on, though.
Before Set IOs, CoH's answer to farming was "knock yourself out, you can get everything you need to buy everything you need at the level cap without even trying". Set IOs, especially the purple PvP ones changed that a bit, but the real defense(?) against farming was the rampant alt-itis that CoH encouraged.

Instead of grinding for the best lewt, people were basically grinding for new power combos or familiar ones on new servers. I think to some extent any successor is going to need to replicate that to be really capture the CoH feel. If we wind up limited to 8 characters like a typical MMO these days there's just no hope that it'll feel the same.

James Weatherby

Dour Little Bird
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Instead of grinding for the best lewt, people were basically grinding for new power combos or familiar ones on new servers. I think to some extent any successor is going to need to replicate that to be really capture the CoH feel. If we wind up limited to 8 characters like a typical MMO these days there's just no hope that it'll feel the same.

Yup. I, and most of the folks I played with, were all very much into farming/power leveling. It was a lot of fun to build up a new character in a few days (we avoided the really exploitative stuff that let you do it in hours, because that was actually broken, but MA levels that were just basically excuses to pile in huge masses of enemies and then slaughter them were fair game) because by that point we had all seen all the content the game had to offer and the stuff that interested us was endgame character builds. So we'd take turns leveling each other up. It was a hoot.

That and getting the IOs I wanted to make the builds I had in mind required either playing the market to buy them outright (which was NOT my cup of tea) or farming like mad for drops. Before the MA I used to solo farm in the Storm Palace, but I much preferred Circle of Thorns in the Mission Architect when that became an option, particularly using my Plant/Storm controller. So much fun! God, I miss the Storm powerset.

At the time I stopped playing I think CoH had found a good balance with the MA. The worst of the really abusive stuff (mito farms) had been patched out, but people still had private missions to farm with if they really wanted.

NeoVid

Nerd Rage Never Fades
Validated User
I mostly looked for MA missions with Developer's Choice awards and then played more by the same guys. There are some I will never forget...

"Tired of being used as an expendable flunky by more established villains? Let Igor Underhench, minion to the stars, show you how to ransom Paragon City for ONE MILLION DOLLARS with the Do It Yourself Laser Moonbase Project!"

"Master's plan is nearly complete! Igor is just itching with anticipation! And also lice!"

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
The problem with farming was the number of new players who would do it, come out at some reasonably high level, and had NO idea how to play, had horrible builds that were broken like a wrecked Kia, etc. Now, Champions might've been okay with that since they have those archetypes you can take (essentially safety-railed builds), but COH's flexibility hurt it in that case. COH had a good safetynet, but it wasn't a miracle worker :p

If Titans or the others had "suggested pick" or a beginner (archetype) and advanced (full access) OPTION, that would help mitigate the issue, I think.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Making it easier (than City of Heroes was, anyway) to respec would help too.
COH wasn't too bad. So long as its easier than Star Trek Online I'll be happy. #1 reason I don't go back to try it out is I'm starting at a freakin' respec when I log in. NOOOOOOOO... I think I got my money's worth from my Lifetime already, but, yeah...

James Weatherby

Dour Little Bird
RPGnet Member
Validated User
COH wasn't too bad. So long as its easier than Star Trek Online I'll be happy. #1 reason I don't go back to try it out is I'm starting at a freakin' respec when I log in. NOOOOOOOO... I think I got my money's worth from my Lifetime already, but, yeah...
Oh, I wasn't meaning the respec process itself. That wasn't that bad (at least as long as you weren't trying to yank out IOs to use on another character) but for a new player to actually be able to respec at all would take some doing. Wasn't the first respec you could get from the Terra Volta Trial? I know I wound up having a bunch stacked up on my characters but I think that was from being a longtime vet.

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
I mostly looked for MA missions with Developer's Choice awards and then played more by the same guys. There are some I will never forget...

"Tired of being used as an expendable flunky by more established villains? Let Igor Underhench, minion to the stars, show you how to ransom Paragon City for ONE MILLION DOLLARS with the Do It Yourself Laser Moonbase Project!"

"Master's plan is nearly complete! Igor is just itching with anticipation! And also lice!"
Stefan "Twoflower" Gagne!

Myrme

Historian for Hire
Validated User
I probably didn't use MA as much as I should for finding new missions, but my roleplay group on Virtue got some mileage out of it and had some fun there. I had fun learning some tricks with the tools provided, like I was rather proud of getting a linked chain of appearances by a single character who was changing into what was basically a Nictus version of the Guyver (so first appearance was just a guy, and steadily growing more and more into a biomechanical war machine with each appearance) and provide exposition, with each given a translucency effect so I could have them be holo-logs. Took me forever to tweak things enough to make the 4 versions of the character appear in order roughly along the path the players would be heading.

The main issue I'd run into in MA was that the enemies were always too squishy. Since most of my friends were pretty kitted out, we were carving through most enemies before we could even see them, and I'd spent far too much time designing my enemy groups to not show them off. Even applying a defensive secondary like Willpower - which boosted their HP and provided modest resistance - really didn't do much.

MA was clunky as hell but a lot of fun. But I can see why other games would blanch at the challenge of implementing and policing it.

Top Bottom