• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Combine Two Games Together!

Killer300

Validated User
King of Dragon Pass and Starsector: Narrative-strategic faction building (beginning with a humble station and spreading to a sector-spanning nation) combined with the lovely tactical action battles of Starsector.
Sounds awesome, although one does get the problem of building a strong narrative into a game that has prodecural generation elements, a problem I understand to still be unsolved. To be fair, you did say just the tactical battles, so perhaps the maps would be a little bit more predetermined to help with plot stuff.

I could also be missing stuff here!

Mass Effect and Nexus: The Jupiter Incident: Take the RPG elements and character focus and story structure (main plot but with room for exploration and side missions) but instead of FPS combat, replace it with tactical battles from Nexus. (Especially the game prologue, relatively plausible tech level ones.)
This just sounds straight awesome.

For my own, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together's plot about stuff like ethnic hatred, a country disintegrating, ect., and its tactical RPG gameplay mixed with the technology and the guns of Jagged Alliance 2. Because...

I admit, as dark as it would be, I'm curious what a game taking place in say, Syria, or 1990s Yugoslavia would actually be like. More than that, I want the player to be in a situation where they have some power, because I think a say, Telltale style adventure game, or something like This War of Mine would be far, far too depressing to make playable for the average person. More than that, I think it could be interesting to explore someone in that situation who has real, actual power, rather than another civilian whose probably going to die, and is otherwise at the mercy of competing violent factions.

Thanaeon

Mostly simulationist
Validated User
Sounds awesome, although one does get the problem of building a strong narrative into a game that has prodecural generation elements, a problem I understand to still be unsolved. To be fair, you did say just the tactical battles, so perhaps the maps would be a little bit more predetermined to help with plot stuff.

I could also be missing stuff here!
To be honest, I didn't think things through that far, because the chances of anything like this coming about are slim, to say the least. But yeah, I imagine it'd have to be more heavily scripted, like the KoDP campaign is. I was thinking more in terms of the narrative choices and more abstracted strategic layer, combined with the Starsector style tactical-action combat.

Killer300

Validated User
To be honest, I didn't think things through that far, because the chances of anything like this coming about are slim, to say the least. But yeah, I imagine it'd have to be more heavily scripted, like the KoDP campaign is. I was thinking more in terms of the narrative choices and more abstracted strategic layer, combined with the Starsector style tactical-action combat.
Although not none, judging by StarSector... existing to be honest, much less getting as far as it has. Don't know enough about the King of Dragon Pass to know its cost, or other development stuff.

Otherwise, I think its interesting to think about how to deal with procedural generation, and how it interacts with storytelling more broadly, which this is definitely an opportunity to think about with.

Killer300

Validated User
Now I really want this,

Rules the Waves 2 + Any game that has an actual budget. Okay, fine, lets say Victory At Sea Pacific, as the real time battles of that seem to work pretty well.

The main thing is a game like the Rules the Waves 2 with a user interface that isn't like Excel, and that you can get on a normal distributor like Steam or Itch.Io.

Cenobite

Whiteside Pawn 909
Validated User
It's not so much combining two games, since the mechanics are similar, but Just Cause and Saints Row seem due for a crossover.

Kevin Mowery

WAUGH!
Validated User
State of Decay 2 and The Sims 3.

Basically, State of Decay 2, but with a lot more flexibility in social interactions, building your enclave, and character dress and appearance.

Top Bottom