• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Comic Book Draft Clearinghouse

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yeah I think:
1) The first round should be sperate with round 2 starting at 00:00 GMT the day after round 1 ends.
2) Make round 12 hours regardless of number of people in the block.

But there will be time to discuss at the post-mortem.

Myth

Southern Mane
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It's a new technology. Some adjustment is in order. I find the feel much less stressful, though.

HNutz

Knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men!
Validated User
So, DC-78 is almost done, after a surprising drop in participation for the last few rounds.

Just wondering what's next.
Spoiler: Show
Hey, as long as we're throwing out draft structure ideas, only fair I offer up an opportunity to have all the potential issues with an idea of mine pointed out too...

So, I mentioned the last time I posted that I'd had some thoughts about a different way to structure Spider-Verse style drafts (partly because I finally got around to watching Into The Spider-Verse, partly because I was thinking about it as a draft where we hadn't enforced pick uniqueness as part of noting that some drafts could work without that as an arguably competitive element.)

The Spider-Verse draft didn't get as much crossover as maybe it had been originally hoped to have (and, yes, I know I sat out the crossovers entirely). I do think that draft's issues were mainly the holidays, but I also think the crossovers ran into issues of starting from a standpoint of "everybody gathers in one place." I just don't think that works well when you're dealing with multiple drafters. Either you run into the burden of co-ordinating with everyone and writing their characters in (which takes a while, as I know firsthand from the first DC/Marvel Next Generation draft), or somebody just writes other's characters doing things without asking (which can work for some drafters, and resulted in the crossovers that worked for a while in thay draft, but it's less suited so for other drafters who, say, have secrets they plan to reveal later), or you get a lot of characters just standing around waiting for somebody to do something. Or some combination of the three sliding into each other depending on drafter activity.

I think crossovers work best when they're more contained to two, maybe three, drafters who can co-ordinate on a more limited crossover with a specific goal in mind (general aside as somebody who does write crossovers when I have the time to do so: my aim for them is that every scene should drive the story forward or establish something new about a character, and preferably do both. That's what I'm looking for a suitable character for when considering crossovers; a neat character alone is not enough. Maybe this should be its own topic of discussion if people are getting disappointed at not getting pulled into crossovers and would like to have them more often, but I'm digressing). So I was idly thinking about a draft structure that would encourage individual crossovers more, and I did have an idea. It does rely upon the relaxed rules for pick uniqueness and separate worlds we have in a Spider-Verse style draft, so it's not a general purpose suggestion.

What I came up with was this:

In the first round, drafters have five picks. Yes, we're doing the wildcards first. Only one of these gets protected as unique (your Spider for a Spider-Verse draft); the rest of the names can be used again on other worlds. We start with five picks so you can establish the basic setup of your specific world right at the beginning. As they're not protected as unique, taking multiple at once doesn't cause increased chances of pickageddon.

And we want to get each world established at the start because in later rounds you can take an excursion into another drafter's world. This can be in place of your normal pick for that round or in addition to it. You may also add an additional pick to the world you are visiting if you wish, with the approval of that world's original drafter (which shouldn't be withheld unduly, this is a safety valve for cases like "No, my unpowered street-level crimefighter does not need Galactus as a sidekick" or "I already had plans for Golden Oldie.") You can take multiple excursions if you wish to do more than one. You don't necessarily have to crossover with the Spider of that world; you could have your character(s) meet other character(s) from that world, say, or maybe just visit the world and see what it's like.

There's a couple of further spins we could put on that as a carrot and/or stick to encourage the crossovers. The carrot would be allowing you to take an extra pick if you do a crossover during that turn (so, a maximum of two normal picks plus one for the world you are visiting). The stick option would be to say "you must take at least one excursion during your draft", and maybe borrow an idea from the Rogues Gallery drafts and say that you must visit an unvisited world for at least one of your excursions unless and until all worlds have been visited, so nobody gets left out. I like the latter as a way to ensure there are crossovers and everyone gets to take part, but it may not sit comfortably with all participants as it does mean you'd need to co-ordinate and at least summarize if not write at least one crossover. The former, and the extra pick in the visited world. is a nod towards the different levels of writing speed and availability we have; it'd let the faster, more active, drafters actually get to do more without adding to the burden for the slower drafters, and with pick uniqueness across worlds not being required we can do that without increased pickageddon risk.

Thoughts, if anyone's interested?
Definitely interested.

I don't know if we want to do a Hybrid or a -Verse or something else next, but I DO like the idea of earlier, sharable Wild Cards.

Quendalon

shit just got cute
Validated User
So, DC-78 is almost done, after a surprising drop in participation for the last few rounds.
For me, at least, I think it's a consequence of the new block structure. In prior drafts, I'd keep coming back to the thread to check up on posting because I needed to keep track of how fast things were moving, so I'd know when I was on deck. With the new structure, I knew when it was my turn in advance, I wasn't as inspired to visit the thread and read posts, so I was less engaged overall.

Old Toby

Least Known Dog on the Net
Validated User
For me, at least, I think it's a consequence of the new block structure. In prior drafts, I'd keep coming back to the thread to check up on posting because I needed to keep track of how fast things were moving, so I'd know when I was on deck. With the new structure, I knew when it was my turn in advance, I wasn't as inspired to visit the thread and read posts, so I was less engaged overall.
I don't think the drop-off was particularly different from other drafts. Neither better nor worse. OTOH, I think the overall intensity and engagement in the draft was reduced. You never got that "white heat" where the draft is on a roll and the ideas are flying fast and furious.

For me, the disengagement actually made it harder to keep track of my turn. I never really bothered to remember when my next turn was going to be, but I also didn't feel the need to keep up with who was up next. Plus there was no pressure to get your pick in so the next guy wouldn't have to wait, and if you missed your turn it wasn't much of a deal, because only a few picks would come up in the meantime...

I'd prefer going back to the traditional structure for the next one.

Old Toby
Least Known Dog on the Net

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
For me, both as a draft runner, the result was similar, but QoL changes were dramatic.
The thread moved at a brisker pace, while still leaving time to catch up .
And the structured format, allowed me to better keep up with what everybody was doing.

Over all the experience was more enjoyable and less trying then running and participating in previous drafts.

I was going to start a postmortem tomorrow, since I have 5+ hours train ride from Berling today.

Proposed changes to the format as mentioned before:
1) Round becomes it's own thing, running with 24 hours windows as usual.
2) At the end of the round, 1 draft stops till 12:00 GMT.
3) The draft resumes in block form with 12-hour window and a drafting schedule posted at the start of the 2nd round.

Eric the .5b

It's all so esoteric
Validated User
I really liked the block structure, though I agree a 12-hour block length (so it's a neat two blocks a day and not 2.4) and a fixed start time for round two would work better.

(As for myself, I had completely un-draft-related issues that just sapped my will and energy, including the news. I really wanted to do some crossover, but I'm still just trying to finish my posts.)

empulsive

40-something POC Nerd (he/him)
Validated User
Trying to figure out what my last draft was. Wish I could sort Google Docs by date created, and not just date modified or opened or whatevs. Would make that easier. I think it was Marvel DC Rogues 77?

*keeps poking at Google Docs*

Last edited:
Top Bottom