• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Comic Recommendations for someone who last read Spiderman in the 60s but loved Into the Spiderverse?

Taraqual

Words words words
Validated User
Some of the classic stuff you can get as trades or on Comixology that I think are definitely worthwhile:
Oh, and duh! The Wedding! Biggest event of the Spider-Man stories for decades, the cause of a still-controversial retcon from On High, and yet a pretty awesome moment where the essential teen super-hero becomes an adult.

Stork!

Wish I was a hippo.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Awesome! Thank you, everyone, for helping. It's just such an overwhelming amount of material to try and figure out cold.

Huh. Does anyone know what "Ultimate Spiderman Ultimate Collections" map to these recommendations?

Taraqual

Words words words
Validated User
Awesome! Thank you, everyone, for helping. It's just such an overwhelming amount of material to try and figure out cold.

Huh. Does anyone know what "Ultimate Spiderman Ultimate Collections" map to these recommendations?
Those are from the first several volumes of Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man stories. I gave you the names of the trade paperbacks, but I'm not sure if there was an Ultimate Collection that collected DoSM. According to Amazon, they go up to Ultimate Collection #7, which doesn't end with Death. (Rough rule of thumb is that the Ultimate Collections were two of the trade paperbacks, so the UC goes up to the equivalent of vol. 14 of the trade, and there's...9 more trades after that before you get to Death, or 10 before Miles shoes up.)

Now, *I* own all of that, one of the only long-running comic series I can say that about, because Ultimate Spider-Man has been my favorite version of Spider-Man for quite some time. But I have a very close friend who is a recent convert to Spider-Man fandom who asked if he could read all my comics about him, took one look at the full collection, and decided just to try the first four to six trades.

Uh, sorry, this doesn't directly answer your question. None of the books we've recommended are in the Ultimate Collections, but I strongly endorse getting at least the first one, or maybe the first two, as a good taste for Spider-Man in general. There's some Ultimate-Universe oddness, but just think of it as putting a newer spin on the old stuff. There's a version of the story of the Stacys in there, for example, with some definite twists. Most of what we've recommended has the names we've given them--like, if you wanted Spider-Gwen, look for that and buy the first volume.

Oh, and if you ever decide to delve into things like the Clone Saga, definitely just do the Ultimate version, which isn't a giant mess.

Qooroo

Social Justice Spellthief
Validated User
The initial run of Spider-Gwen comes in 9 volumes, and is largely self-contained (Gwen's universe is distinct from either the mainline Marvel universe or the ultimate universe), with two major exceptions: Spider-Women (which fits between volumes 2 and 3) is a big crossover with Spider-Woman and Silk from the main universe, and Spider-Man/Spider-Gwen Sitting in a Tree, which is a crossover with Miles (who, at that point, has moved from the ultimate universe to the main universe). That having been said, I read them without really following the main universe comics, and didn't have any issues.

The first volume (which is volume 0, not volume 1) is called Most Wanted. After volume 6, which wraps everything that had been going on up to that point and leaves everything feeling very completed, it switched to Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider for a while, and is now switching to Ghost Spider. My understanding is these have more integration with main-universe continuity, but I haven't read them yet. Volumes 0-6 plus the 2 crossovers I mentioned for a very complete, mostly self-contained story, and are really excellent. Highly recommended.

SorcererNinja

Ace Valkryie Pilot
RPGnet Member
Validated User
That you had to ask this blows my mind completely. How on Earth do they not have a book (or series of them) clearly aimed at the liked Spider-Man years ago, loved "Into the Spider-Verse" and wants more demographic?
There is a trio of small trade paperbacks that contain stuff from some of the big characters in the film, called Spider-Verse Miles Morales, Spider-Verse Spider-Gwen, and Spider-Verse Spider-Men. Marvel has also started doing some tabloid sized graphic novels, which include one that has the first dozen or so Miles Morales comics. There's also one called Spidey: Freshman year that may be of interest, as it's Peter in classic high school mode.

Top Bottom