• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Comics] House of X - the big X-Men relaunch

ExNihilo

The lesser of two weasels
Validated User
When I saw the one character's name was Rasputin I assumed that big glowing blade she was swinging around was a soulsword, but looking at the list of powers she was spliced with I think it's a giant psi-blade. She's got a dose of Quentin Quire's telepathy and her learning and using sorcery as a Sinister-bred soldier seems less likely.

Turelie

Maddeningly Altruistic
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I do like that mutants have refugee populations living away from Earth.

The future is still a dystopian nightmare, but things aren't entirely bleak.

Varyar

Emilie Dequenne Fanboy
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I do like that mutants have refugee populations living away from Earth.

The future is still a dystopian nightmare, but things aren't entirely bleak.
I'd love to see at least a few scenes at one of the colonies in Shi'ar space.

Reeze

Zombie Penguin.
Validated User
So help me out here - Between this and Black Panther IN SPACE, has there been some kind of big time skip in the marvel universe?

Propagandor

Square-Cube Law Compliant
Validated User
So help me out here - Between this and Black Panther IN SPACE, has there been some kind of big time skip in the marvel universe?
6 month timeskip iirc

Black Panther in space is set in the modern day-ish. Space Wakanda Empire is descended from some Wakandan colonists who left earth centuries in the past

vernuf

Validated User
Yeah, that's just sliding Marvel time. The FF took their flight 10 or so years ago (15 tops) and everything else happened at some unspecified time since then.

One interesting point about that when it comes to the X-Men - Magneto is one of three characters I'm aware of who are exceptions to this rule because their origins are tied to real-world events (the other two are Captain America and the Punisher, and I'm not 100% sure they haven't retconned Frank's origin at this point). Magneto saw his family die in the Holocaust, so he was born 1930-1935 at the absolute latest. They had to de-age him in-story at one point to explain how he was so spry as an octogenarian, and Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch's backstories both feature decades in stasis to make the timeline line up. So I'll be curious to see how Hickman navigates a story that puts so much emphasis on the sliding Marvel time version of Charles' life and also features Magneto as a (seemingly) major character. What year did Charles and Erik meet now? Was it still in Israel helping Holocaust survivors? Does that mean Charles is 70+ today or were the survivors just really old when he was helping them? If the X-Men were formed 10 years ago and Magneto wasn't de-aged until later, does that mean he was in his 70s the first time they fought? Tricky stuff.
I can see them at some point making it so mutants in general age slower than regular humans not just the ones with healing factors (though they'd age even slower) and some possibly not at all. It's not like there aren't already a bunch of mutant and mutant adjacent characters who are older than they look.

Rolzup

Dinoczar
Validated User
Frank's died and been brought back at least twice -- thematically and tonally inappropriate as it may be -- so I suppose there's reason for him to still be active despite his age.

Menocchio

Eccentric Thousandaire
Validated User
Frank's died and been brought back at least twice -- thematically and tonally inappropriate as it may be -- so I suppose there's reason for him to still be active despite his age.
I think the official word on Frank is that his origin has shifted from "Vietnam" to a generic "War", which is currently implied to be Afghanistan/Iraq.

JeffCram

Loyal to the Dream
Validated User
So, I just picked up House of X and Powers of X (both first issues, obviously).

Now, I like the X-Men, but I haven't collected any of the mutant-centric comics in a loooooong time. Like, 90s long. (There may have been a smattering of Wolverine issues after that, but still.) I wanted to try getting on board with this, since I've been hearing good things.

Honestly? I'm impressed. Sure, I didn't want to pay 6 bucks a pop for them, but I feel like I got my money's worth, if that makes sense.

Production value is top notch for the physical product, but we're not really surprised in this day and age.

Yeah, we won't know how it's going to shake out, writing-wise, for a bit. But, it commits no outstanding sins, IMO. More importantly, it definitely gives a feeling of new beginnings. Like we've turned a corner in the timeline of the X-Men, and are careening toward...something.

The art is just fantastic on both books. Very tight technically, consistent, and with enough style to be evocative. I'm not really familiar with either draftsman's work, but I really took to it. Color me excited!

So, well done, Marvel. You've got me collecting some X-Men books again! (Until you pooch it, of course. ;))

Top Bottom