• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Common misconceptions about popular/famous stories

mindstalk

Does the math.
Validated User
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barghest_(Dungeons_&_Dragons)

The barghest first appeared in the June 1979 issue of The Dragon magazine (#26), in the "Dragon’s Bestiary" feature (billed as "the return of an old and much-requested column", formerly known as "Featured Creature") by Gary Gygax. This article states that "Of the various members of the deodands inhabiting the rifts of the Planes of Gehenna, the barghest is certainly the most common and one of the worst." Barghests are described as lawful evil in alignment, and highly intelligent. The article states that a barghest's natural shape is similar to that of a large goblin, and that it can assume the form of a large war dog or wild dog at will, sometimes giving barghests the misnomer of "devil-dogs".

These whelps will live alone or in pairs near isolated human communities or with goblin bands, retaining their natural form amongst goblins. Barghests are almost indistinguishable from goblins by other races, except that a barghest's eyes glow orange when the creature becomes excited;

Rolzup

Dinoczar
Validated User
While I belive that Doyle moved away from this in later stories, in his first appearance Sherlock Holmes was shockingly ignorant about anything that didn't have an obvious application to detective work.

He did not, for instance, know that the Earth orbited the Sun. Upon learning this from Watson, Holmes declared his intent to forget the fact as soon as possible so that such irrelevant information wouldn't clutter up his mental attic. He didn't want the important stuff being displaced by useless trivia.

Honestly, I rather like the thought of Holmes having such gaps in his knowledge...and even being proud of his own willfull ignorance.

Pip

Citizen of Ireland
Validated User
Though, I would say, it would be completely in character for Holmes to have been trolling Watson there, to use the modern parlance.

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
A thread in TTO:

Phaonix Down's are suppose to rez you. Thjey're suppose to get Koed party memebers on their feet

Spoiler: Show

Which why you not you could use one ressurect Aerith.
Or General Leo for that matter

darkgloomie

Un-jiggly
Validated User
A thread in TTO:

Phaonix Down's are suppose to rez you. Thjey're suppose to get Koed party memebers on their feet

Spoiler: Show

Which why you not you could use one ressurect Aerith.
Or General Leo for that matter
Well, except for all the times where "Knocked Out" is actually "Dead" before translation happens. Plus all the spells that cause Instant KO are Death-related. And the resurrection item is patterned after a mythological being known for regeneration and rebirth.

I'm just saying Final Fantasy is inconsistent as fuck and mechanics do not have sway on the story it's telling.

Ascanius

Use the singular they!
Validated User
In Tolkien's cosmology, God is unambiguously supreme and without equal, the top evil guy is just one of God's stronger lackeys who is a greedy, jealous, spiteful, entitled asshole (whose divine followers amount to a bunch of the more weak-willed angels impressed by his bluster and his vaguely defined vision and the idea that siding with him lets them get a bunch of fancy titles and to push loads of people around), and to the extent that evil is a cosmological detail, it's because being one of the top angels lets you profoundly muck up Creation.
I've often actually found several parts of Tolkien's take on supernatural evil to be distinctly sophisticated and insightful.
I mean, that's just Catholic doctrine, innit?

Isator Levie

Validated User
I mean, that's just Catholic doctrine, innit?
I mean, sure, I probably could have said "people probably misconceive Middle Earth as being a battle of Good vs Evil, when it's really just Christian", but I preferred the elaboration. What you're saying here doesn't really affect the substance of my point, as regards the threads topic.

(Also, strictly speaking, Catholic doctrine doesn't quite have so much to say about any kind of fallen angel figure)

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
Fair point!

The thing about this that struck me immediately . . .

These whelps will live alone or in pairs near isolated human communities or with goblin bands, retaining their natural form amongst goblins.​

What exactly did Gary Gygax think "whelp" meant?
Don't barghests spend their youth on the material plane, gain power by devouring people, and then return to the outer planes when fully grown?

Edit: in fact, you appear to have overlooked the sentence immediately preceding your quote. 'When a barghest spawns, it sends its litter of six to the Prime Material Plane to feed. These whelps will live alone or in pairs near isolated human communities or with goblin bands, retaining their natural form amongst goblins.'

Last edited:
Top Bottom