• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Common misconceptions about popular/famous stories

Ascanius

Use the singular they!
Validated User
I was just going off the quoted bit, so that's fair enough! Maybe I'll go back to bed!

mindstalk

Does the math.
Validated User
What exactly did Gary Gygax think "whelp" meant?
1913 Webster:

1. One of the young of a dog or a beast of prey; a puppy ...

2. A child; a youth; -- jocosely or in contempt.

The Adder

Validated User
The point of Milton’s “Paradise Lost” is that Satan is a liar!

All that grand talk of Satan’s awesomeness and brilliance is not supposed to impress the reader.
Ditto Voltaire(the musician)'s Almost Human. The lyrics are the devil pleading his case as a sympathetic figure, but he can't even keep the malice and boastfulness in until he's done.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
In Game of Thrones, being honorable or a decent human being doesn't actually get you killed and being a cynical backstabbing asshole doesn't mean you win. Probably the most effective factions or leaders, namely the Tyrells Starks and Tywin Lannister, are the ones who behave most decently and honorably in their dealings. And Tywin's more evil tendencies lead directly to his death.

Spoiler: Show

Off the top of my head: Ned Stark dies when he tries his hand at scheming with Littlefinger. The Red Wedding completely destroys Frey's reputation even BEFORE Arya kills him for it. Littlefinger is undone by family loyalty and dies for his trouble when he tries to turn the Stark sisters against each other. Ramsey keeps getting away with atrocities for a long time but he's an awful ruler and the entire North was ready to revolt. Tywin is killed by Tyrion in revenge for how he's been treated. And so on. The cynical backstabbing is almost always ultimately self destructive and either causes more problems for them or directly leads to their death.

Leif

Mountain Ape
RPGnet Member
Validated User
In Game of Thrones, being honorable or a decent human being doesn't actually get you killed and being a cynical backstabbing asshole doesn't mean you win. Probably the most effective factions or leaders, namely the Tyrells Starks and Tywin Lannister, are the ones who behave most decently and honorably in their dealings. And Tywin's more evil tendencies lead directly to his death.
Yeah, especially (mild book spoilers ahead):

Spoiler: Show

The books go into some more detail on the reputation of the Freys, their name is widely equivalent to "Judas". Another thing missing from the TV show's version is how the Boltons' rule over the North results in a bunch of their underlings deciding all on their own to conspire against them because everything was better in the old days under the Starks.

Last edited:

Leif

Mountain Ape
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Your spoiler's broken, you used different tags to open and close it
Thanks, I noticed myself also and hopefully fixed it before anyone got their enjoyment fucked up. Sorry guys, I'm afraid this is the kind of thing that happens when trying to post after having a bit of wine with one's Sunday dinner.

Leif

Mountain Ape
RPGnet Member
Validated User
In my defense, it was a rather excellent dinner; Moroccan-style chicken tagine cooked after a recipe I found on a Norwegian food blog by a lady of Moroccan/German/French/Norwegian background. Hooray for immigration, I am quite fond of old-school traditional Norwegian food as well but I'm damn glad we have more options and variety these days.

Top Bottom