• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Completed series to watch - suggestions (anime or otherwise)

Bicorn

Validated User
So. A friend and myself just finished watching Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS, and now are looking for a new series to watch together.
The thing is, he doesn't want to start a series before it finishes; he wants us to be able to watch at our own pace, and is also a bit paranoid about series finishing without a resolution, so Nanoha ViViD is a no-go until all episodes are out.

So the primary qualifiers are:
  • Available in English (or Finnish) (preferably subtitled if original is in moonlanguage)
  • Has already been completed
  • Ends with a satisfying resolution, without leaving too many things hanging (Nanoha's seasons were commended for their "Where are they now" style endings)
  • Is not too long (StrikerS' 26 eps could be considered the upper limit; the average anime's 13 feels about perfect)
  • Doesn't have too many central characters to keep track of (again StrikerS could be considered the upper limit here)

Genre is not as important, though scifi and fantasy elements are appreciated; combat/action is good but not necessary, complex characters with interesting relationships and motivations are welcome.

Some examples of what one or both of us have already seen, which would qualify if not already watched: Avatar (Aang and Korra), Evangelion, Gurren Lagann, Madoka, Nanoha (original, A's and StrikerS), Wakfu.
(Though all the examples there are animation, suggestions for live action shows are also accepted.)

mindstalk

Does the math.
Validated User
Crest of the Stars. The story continues in Banner of the Stars, but Crest stands well on its own.
Princess Tutu
The first 14 episodes of Twelve Kingdoms portray the first novel, and end decently, though the series continues on.
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, first season, is a zany classic.

Bunny Drop, if you want something really sweet.
Ghost in the Shell: SAC?
Macross Frontier?

Kreuzritter

Validated User
Kill La Kill. 24 episodes (with an epilogue set after the final battle but before the closing credits of the last episode) it is complete bazonkers and somehow MORE high-octane than gurren lagan, so despite being in your upper limit will just FLY by

Vividred Operation. it's a blatant nanoha rip-off with magical girls powered by SCIENCE!, but a decent nanoha rip-off with a fair amount of action and mayhem. downside is the camera is magnetically drawn towards the butts of 14 year old girls (12 episodes)

Gatchaman CROWDS: an final fantasy-ish sequel to the Gatchaman franchise (names, imagery and themes recurring, everything else is different), CROWDS is the story of a 5 hero band adjusting to the oddly perceptive newbie ("I'm hajime") while caught in a struggle to keep a Mask of Naryathotep from harnessing the power of the internet for world destruction (12 episodes)

Last edited:

Tumbleweed

Supporting Cast!
Validated User
Have you watched Gundam Build Fighters? Because Gundam Build Fighters is a lot better than it has any right to be.

Bicorn

Validated User
Vividred we'll probably have to pass on, I can see excessive loli fanservice getting rather uncomfortable to watch, especially in company. (Nanoha's nude transformations were just tasteful and infrequent enough to pass.)
Does the Gatchaman one require any familiarity with the franchise?

Trilobite

This space intentionally left blank.
Validated User
suggestions for live action shows are also accepted.)
In that case...

Check out Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, which got 1.5 seasons on TV over here and is pretty much the only decent sequel that entire franchise is likely to get since the second movie. It's got all the things you say you're looking for, and managed to reach a fairly satisfying ending for its main story.

Another live-action show worth looking at would be Day Break, which took an extremely thin-sounding premise (Taye Diggs plays a cop who keeps reliving the same day) and turned it into 13 tightly-written, tautly-paced episodes. Barely anyone watched this when it was on, which is a shame.

Lastly, I'll plug a show that doesn't fit the sci-fi/fantasy end of your list, but if I'm going to be recommending shows, I'll be damned if I'm going to leave this one off the list. Terriers was another great show we lost way too soon: Donal Logue plays an ex-cop who starts working as an unlicensed private investigator with his ex-burglar best friend in a crappy little seaside town in California. It's well-written, both funny and dramatic, and tells an interesting story. If it's not strictly what you're looking for right now, keep it in mind anyway, because the world needs to be encouraged to make more shows like this.

Bicorn

Validated User
Another live-action show worth looking at would be Day Break, which took an extremely thin-sounding premise (Taye Diggs plays a cop who keeps reliving the same day) and turned it into 13 tightly-written, tautly-paced episodes. Barely anyone watched this when it was on, which is a shame.
Hmmm, the "groundhog day loop" thing is a concept that I've seen interesting things done with, so I'll keep this in mind.

Bicorn

Validated User
And feedback time!

We're 7 episodes deep into Crest of the Stars now, and it's been pretty great so far. I like the mix of the large scale political plot and the relationship thread developing between the two protagonists. The Abh culture is kind of amusing to me - in some ways it's quite alien, in others rather deeply Japanese. My friend seems to have liked the series so far too.

We'll probably be proceeding through the suggestions in the order given, unless there are further comments on any of them.

Top Bottom