• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Conan KS Live

Wulfgar22

Validated User
I'm surprised that nobody's commented on the Darren Bader picture show in the video, which is an edit of this picture: http://www.amazon.com/Mage-Magical-Traditions-The-Awakening/dp/1588464334/ref=pd_sim_14_21?ie=UTF8&dpID=51sQgSO%2B4tL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR123%2C160_&refRID=0M5CPVE4MPDS4TF2SVMC

I wonder how the copyright works in this case...
I wondered about that...I recognised a few pics from the Dark Horse comics. However they've done it...I love the fact they've paid so much attention to the art.

Last edited:

Reynard

Validated User
Anyone have experience with the system used? How does it play? is it appropriate to Conan/S&S adventure and combat?

Skywalker

Back Off the Buddha!
Validated User
Anyone have experience with the system used? How does it play? is it appropriate to Conan/S&S adventure and combat?
There have been a number of playtest documents released and the quickstart is due by the end of the week. Its also the same system used in Mutant Chronicles and Infinity.

N0-1_H3r3

Bemused and Bewildered
Validated User
Obviously, a lot of it comes down to preferences and subjective experience, and as one of the writers for the game (on the rules side), I'm biased, so rather than give my opinions, I'll give an overview of how the system works. The Quickstart adventure, due out on Thursday, will provide a more in-depth example.

At the core, any task a character attempts is resolved by rolling two or more d20s (two is the basic number, but you can obtain more through various means). Each d20 that rolls equal to or less than the character's Attribute plus their Expertise in the relevant skill scores a success. Each d20 that rolls equal to or less than the relevant skill's Focus scores two successes instead. Count the number of successes scored; if you got equal or more than the difficulty of the task (normally 1, but sometimes more, sometimes less), then you've succeeded at the task. Every success you scored above the difficulty becomes Momentum, which the character can spend to gain various additional benefits (such as extra damage on an attack, extra actions, completing a task more quickly or with style, getting more information, bonus d20s on subsequent skill tests, making an opponent's test more difficulty, etc). Unused Momentum can be saved into a group pool that all the player characters can draw from - representing teamwork, cooperation, and capitalising on your allies' triumphs. Any Natural 20 rolled on any d20 causes a Complication - either a short-term problem (not a failure: you can succeed and still suffer Complications) or two points to Doom, which the GM can use to cause problems later.

Hitting higher difficulties, or getting lots of Momentum may require getting extra d20s. These can be obtained in a number of ways, but the most common are spending Momentum (either straight after a test, or directly from that group pool, each point of Momentum adds +1d20), paying Doom to the GM (Doom is a GM resource, called Threat in earlier versions, and known by different names in other 2D20 games; again, 1 point per bonus d20), using resources (a type of equipment; different resources benefit different skills), or relying on Fortune (each PC has a limit pool of Fortune, each point of Fortune spent not only adds a bonus d20, but it counts that bonus d20 as having already rolled a 1). In essence, getting a better result is less a matter of pure luck, and more a matter of how much effort a character is willing to exert. Spend Momentum, and you're relying on teamwork and pushing from victory to victory. Pay Doom, and you're acting recklessly, grabbing opportunities heedless of the danger or consequences. Resources are finite and limited in use. Fortune is limited in availability, but particularly potent - luck is great until you run out.

With the GM, Doom serves as a counterpart to Momentum - NPCs don't save Momentum, but instead draw from and feed into Doom. Doom is an abstract way of representing the collective peril and danger facing the heroes, a little pool of tokens that represents all the things that could go wrong. It can be bonus dice for NPCs as they fight harder or smarter, or increased difficulty for PCs tests because of some unforeseen problem, or it could bring in reinforcements as the enemy responds to sounds of violence. There are a wide range of ways to employ Doom, including the sorcery and other strange abilities of powerful adversaries.

That's the heart of the system - the interplay between Momentum and Doom.

Combat is fairly straightforward, and builds from what I've described above. Attacking is a skill test, and particularly resistant foes can turn this test into a Struggle (an opposed test; both sides make a test, the winner is the one with more Momentum at the end). Characters hit by attacks lose points of stress (Vigour for physical harm, Resolve for mental harm like fear), and if they lose five or more points of stress in one go, or lose all of their stress, they suffer Harm (Injuries, or Trauma, for physical or mental damage, respectively), which makes skill tests more difficult, and suffering four or more Harm incapacitates the character (the fifth Injury kills, the fifth Trauma leaves the character mad or comatose) - though minor foes lack the will to keep fighting after only one or two Injuries or Traumas. Stress recovers quickly, allowing characters to get back into a fight after a moment's respite, but Harm causes a significant problem, and is more difficult to recover from.

Reynard

Validated User
Obviously, a lot of it comes down to preferences and subjective experience, and as one of the writers for the game (on the rules side), I'm biased, so rather than give my opinions, I'll give an overview of how the system works. The Quickstart adventure, due out on Thursday, will provide a more in-depth example.

(snip)
Thanks a bunch for the in depth answer. That sounds interesting. I am running a billion hours of D&D at TotalCon in Mansfield, Mass. this weekend but if I get a spare moment I think I will download the quick start and rustle up some con-goers for a pickup game and test it out in the wild.

Corum

Validated User
Have you considered offering the Hoard level without the leather book? I'm sure it is very lovely but, if someone dumped a beer on it at the gaming table, there would be a real beheading. It's too expensive for anything beyond collecting but you are forced to buy it to get all the printed books.

Last edited:

Skywalker

Back Off the Buddha!
Validated User
Have you considered offering the Hoard level without the leather book? I'm sure it is very lovely but if someone dumped a beer on it at the gaming table, there would be a real beheading. It's too expensive for anything beyond collecting but you are forced to buy it to get all the printed books.
The books will be available as add-ons as they are reached, if previous Modiphius KSs are anything to go by.

Top Bottom