Conan which is best: more dice or better odds?

Sabermane

Proud Fianna knight of hope and peace
Validated User
On phone so me brief: in a dice pool system which is better: a bonus giving more dice to roll (roll 4 dice instead of 3) or increasing odds on each die (rolla 3+ instead of 4+) in your opinion?

rakehell

Validated User
In terms of "look and feel"/"user experience", I think more dice is better up to about 5 dice, and after that playing with the numbers is better. I don't have rigorous statistical data, but 6d is about where assembling and rolling the dice gets to be a hassle. Six-siders are more common, and you can find smaller ones that are still fairly easy to read, so I'd go up to maybe 10 of those.

CarpeGuitarrem

Blogger and gamer
Validated User
If you keep the target number the same and add dice, it's generally going to be easier to internalize in my opinion; you hear this a lot from players with World of Darkness experience. Checking for different target numbers takes more brainpower than scanning for the same slate of numbers that you always do.

Lysus

Unbelievably Fancy Ostrich
Validated User
If you keep the target number the same and add dice, it's generally going to be easier to internalize in my opinion; you hear this a lot from players with World of Darkness experience. Checking for different target numbers takes more brainpower than scanning for the same slate of numbers that you always do.
It also means you can choose to color in certain numbers on the dice to make them even easier to scan quickly.

Knaight

Validated User
Generally I prefer a static number system, and I'm totally on board with fistfulls of dice (every roll being 15+ would be a bit much, but the occasional 20? Go for it).

On the off chance you're asking about "better" in the sense of more effective bumping the TN down by 1 on NdX is equivalent to adding N/X dice on average.

Naeddyr

two
Validated User
It really depends on the specific numbers. Even in the same system, doing one or the other can be better at different times.

https://anydice.com/program/12f5d

Here we compare 4d6 target number 4+ vs. 3d6 target 3+. A happy coincidence: they happen to have the exact same average value, so in straight number battles they're equal. However, if you have specific difficulty numbers in mind (how many you need to roll), then 3d6 tar 3+ is better when trying to roll 1 or 2, while 4d6 tar 4+ is better for difficulty 3 and 4, but only marginally except in the case of difficulty 4.

EDIT:

Because the two rolls are almost the same, the 4d6 is better because you can actually roll 4 successes.

Coyote's Own

RPG.net's friendly neighborhood Nuwisha.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Players with WoD experince will also tell you that past a certiant point adding more dice will make you more ikely to fail (due to detrementral effects of rolling 1)

Top Bottom