Concrete Cow 14: 8 March 2014, Milton Keynes, UK

Neil the Wimp

Come to Concrete Cow
Validated User
Milton Keynes RPG Club are holding another Concrete Cow on 8 March 2014

WHO?
We're Milton Keynes RPG Club. Find out more about us at http://www.mk-rpg.org.uk.

WHEN?
Saturday 8 March 2014. Doors open at 9.00am, first games start at 10.00am. We'll finish at 11.00pm.

WHAT?
Any roleplaying or board game. You want to play it, bring it along and run it. A full list of games on offer is on the Concrete Cow games page and you can see the list of games offered at Concrete Cow 13½.

If you want to run a game, let us know and we'll put it on the list.

WHO'LL BE THERE?
Leisure Games will be coming again with a large collection of shiny things for you to buy.

There may be other traders; details when they're confirmed.

More importantly, there's all the fantastic games gamers who'll be there and all the fantastic games you'll bring along. If you let us know what you're planning to run, we'll put it on the Concrete Cow games page.

(Note that for child protection reasons, under-16s will need to be accompanied by an adult at Concrete Cow.)

WHERE?
The Old Bath House, Wolverton, in the north-west corner of Milton Keynes.

HOW MUCH?
£5.00. The costs will just be to cover the cost of hiring the hall. Under 16s are free, but note that we can't take responsibility for them.

GOOD CAUSES?
We'll be supporting the Alzheimer's Society again with a charity raffle. If you have prizes you'd like to donate, please contact me.

FOOD?
Details TBC, but we're planning to arrange another lunchtime curry buffet.

Again, please let us know about the games you'll be offering. PM me with details.

Hope to see you all there in March!

Neil the Wimp

Come to Concrete Cow
Validated User
Time for a bunch of updates!

Games
We have some games on offer! James Mullen will be offering two games from a shortlist of four:
  • Day After Day: a player-lead storygame about the short and long term consequences to be dealt with in the aftermath of an inexplicable event in a small town; part Microscope, part Dogs in the Vineyard, in a sci-fi/horror genre.
  • Just Heroes: a simple Apocalypse World hack for playing golden or silver age superhero games; minimum prep, maximum action.
  • Blood & Water: the storygame of Being Human; the past few times I've run this, it's tended towards the fae end of the spectrum in terms of PCs, so I'd like to run a session which gets back to the roots of the idea and has the housemates as characters from the horror genre, or at least dark urban fantasy.
  • Excision: a modern urban conspiracy/espionage game, where the PCs are renegades and mavericks forcibly recruited onto a covert team that investigates, infiltrates and dismantles any organisation seen as a threat to the state, with a genre element; think Kolchak meets Leverage by way of Spooks.
He's after feedback as for which should run.

Mist77 will be offering a game of Shadowrun (blurb TBA), and we may have a game of Space: 1889 if the Kickstarter files turn up in time.

Keep your eyes peeled on the Concrete Cow games page for all the details of the games on offer.

Safefy
Concrete Cow now has a harassment policy. I was enormously helped by the wonderful Shane who does this kind of thing for a living. The policy boils down to, "don't be a dick, and do something if you see someone else being a dick." So it's business as usual, but hopefully with some added assurance that everyone should feel safe.

Food
We'll be doing another lunchtime curry, in the same place with the same menu.
  • Poppadums
  • A starter (Onion bhaji)
  • A chicken dish (Chicken tikka masala)
  • A lamb dish (Lamb dopiaza)
  • A vegetable dish (Mixed vegetable curry)
  • Pilau rice
  • Naan
and you can still order alternative vegetarian dishes at no extra charge.

However, the price has gone up a bit to £11 per head, plus drinks. I still think it's excellent value, so I hope many of you will make it!

We'll be experimenting with a slight change to the sign-up sheet system.

We'll be holding back all the sign-up sheets until 9.30am.

Hopefully, this will mean that people don't have to turn up at 9.00am (or earlier!) to get a choice of games.

Academic conference attendance
And finally, I've now had official confirmation that I won't be at Concrete Cow again. I'll be attending the same conference I was at this time last year, spreading the word to everyone about Code Club! Scott and Andy will be doing the requisite cat-herding on the day.

Neil the Wimp

Come to Concrete Cow
Validated User
A lot's been happening with Concrete Cow in the last week or so. We're now up to twenty one games on offer over sixteen systems: Blood & Water, Call of Cthulhu, Cinematic Unisystem, The Comics Code, Dark, Day After Day, Disco World, Discworld, Dog Eat Dog, My Life with Master, The One Ring, ReStructured Play, Ribbon Drive, Sci-Fi Beta Kappa, Shadowrun, and World War Cthulhu. Please take a look at the Concrete Cow games page for all the details. Please get in touch if there's a game you'd like to offer.

There's an update on traders. Leisure Games will be back, bringing all manner of RPGs and other sundries. Please contact them beforehand if there's something specific you'd like, and they'll make sure to bring up a copy (and even reserve it behind the counter!) for you.

In addition, All Rolled Up will have a stall with all manner of dice bags and accessories. They'll also have some Concrete Cow exclusive ARUs for sale (black and white cowskin fabric with a Concrete Cow logo badge). They'll be selling the Concrete Cow ARUs for £18 and Concrete Cow Tiny ARUs for £13. These prices include a £1 donation to the Alzheimer's Society charity. Many ARUs are made to order, so please contact Paul and Fil if there's something specific you want, especially the Concrete Cow special!

Talking of charity, we're collecting pledges of prizes for the charity raffle, in aid of Alzheimer's Society. The prizes so far are:
If you'd like to donate a prize, please get in touch.

The last raffle raised £118 and I'd like to do better this time!

Last edited:

Neil the Wimp

Come to Concrete Cow
Validated User
The updates are coming thick and fast! We have some more raffle prizes, thanks to some generous donors.

There are more games offered on the Concrete Cow games page, far more than can be listed here. Take a look and be amazed at the breadth of games on offer!

Finally, Paul of All Rolled Up has just sent me over some photos of the Concrete Cow special All Rolled Up.
Full-sized All Rolled Up

"Tiny" All Rolled Up

The two together

I think they look great, and I've already got my order in!

Paul tells me that the fabric used is out of print, so these are likely to be a one-Cow-only offer. Paul thinks he only has enough fabric for another 4-6 ARUs or TARUs. If you want one, please contact All Rolled Up directly to order it.

Last edited:

Scott Dorward

Freelance Alan Moore impersonator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
There is a cow galloping towards us at full pelt and it's on course to arrive this Saturday (the 8th of March). Its booming moo tells me that we now have 30 games on offer, spanning 24 different systems.

Just to remind you of the details: admission is still £5, doors open at 09:00, sign-up sheets go out at 09:30 and the first game starts at 10:00. The usual Indian buffet will be available at Eastern Paradise, for £11 a head.

The list of prizes for the raffle has grown to Cyclopean proportions! We hope to raise a record amount (for us, at least) for the Alzheimer's Society with the help of your generosity.

Neil is going to be incommunicado for the rest of the week, so if you have any questions, please ask me.

See you there!

Top Bottom