Contagion Chronicle Kickstarter (CofD)

Second Chances

Validated User
A New Zealand setting, too. I think I'm in. The additional core books are interesting to me too, I only have Mage, Changeling, Geist, and the CoD cores at this point, I think, and some Dark Era stuff via Geist KS. Demon looks super cool, how are the others?
I think they are all great, but I probably have failed my Saving Throw vs Bias (I'm a freelancer on Dark Eras 2, Kith & Kin, and Mummy 2e). Some highlights:

- Werewolf doesn't get the same love as Vampire, Mage, and Changeling, but I am hard pressed to find a better Second Edition game. It is super, super tight and there are lovely, awful things you can do by combining the dark anamism of spirits with Contagion.
- Promethean is that game that got me into CofD back when it was nWoD. It is personal, dark, and yet so hopefully about how humanity is worth it.
- Mummy... well Mummy 2e obviously isn't out yet, but I loved 1e for how it upended nWoD's conventions. It is another darkly personal game that is all about understanding who you are. Crosses really well with Geist and has an entire Dark Era crossover with Mage in the Dark Eras Companion.
- Your instincts are correct about Demon. If you do pick it up, I'd also suggest grabbing Heirs to Hell, which is all about their semi-mortal children and adds a very interesting new layer to the game while being a small and cheap supplement.

Stork!

Wish I was a hippo.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Thanks for the answers!
That all sounds amazing.
Shipping to Canada appears to be $40 USD on the $50 pledge level which doesn't seem feasible (I'm not blaming OP, I just can't afford it). I'll back at the PDF level but for $10 extra I can get a PDF and the "at-cost" POD. That would be through DriveThru, yeah? I've mostly backed the OP kickstarters either at PDF or for deluxes (where I'm willing to eat the shipping), I've never tried the POD. Anyone know what "at-cost"+ shipping is likely to be to Canada?

Aaron Mouritsen

RadioFreeDeath
Validated User
I am really curious how much running the contagion chronicle will upset the status quo of the regular Chronicles of darkness games you run. Is this a sort of Apocalypse scenario or is it still hidden from mortal eyes?

Second Chances

Validated User
I am really curious how much running the contagion chronicle will upset the status quo of the regular Chronicles of darkness games you run. Is this a sort of Apocalypse scenario or is it still hidden from mortal eyes?
It sounds like it varies. It could be completely hidden or it could blow wide open if the Contagion has a strong effect on mortals and Naglfar's Army has a high presence.

jimthegray

Validated User
Baring anything unforeseen, the Contagion Chronicle Kickstarter should be starting this Tuesday. Contagion a crossover scenario for the Chronicles of Darkness and I have to say I've been eagerly anticipating it ever since it was announced.
And backed, I am very excited about this one

Tango Samurai

Dance Warrior
Validated User
Someone want to give the breakdown on this?
CoD monsters infected with something that changes them and now it's all down the drain?

Paradim

Validated User
Someone want to give the breakdown on this?
CoD monsters infected with something that changes them and now it's all down the drain?
Don't fully know, yet. The Contagion seems to be open ended with multiple options presented that you can use for your game, and seems to be some big overarching threat that encourages crossover gameplay with diverse factions focused on the looming threat. One tidbit of what the Contagion possibly can do is rewrite strengths and weaknesses of supernatural creatures?

Not much information is out yet.

Only the first manuscript preview has been released and it only covers the Introduction and the Sworn and False Chapter. The Introduction honestly isn't too informative. It states that there are going to be twelve different locations presented, each being it's own Contagion Chronicle setting and that will change the mood and themes being focused on. The Sworn and False Chapter covers the different factions that are in response to the Contagion, each faction having different priorities, interpretations of what the Contagion is, and different end-goals. In general, the Sworn seem to be trying to preserve what they know and have, while the False seem to be trying to use the Contagion for their own purposes.

Last edited:

atavist5

Validated User
For the broadest possible description, it gives the Sworn and False factions, which are basically a new Y-splat (the social one) that gives people of different gamelines (and uses 'people' loosely, as hobgoblins, True Fae, strix are included, as well as entirely human people like a hunter in a compact) a reason to work together, while also giving a series of dilemmas that are going to affect multiple gamelines (though some dilemmas may draw the attention of specific ones, for instance Edinburgh is described as having a 'blood-centric' Contagion).

We haven't seen any of the regions yet, but there's 12, and they cover every continent, and they are apparently pretty lengthy, larger than the ones in the assorted second edition core books. Each looks like it's going to have a very specific situation going on and focus on how locals and the Factions are reacting to it.

Between the Factions, which all have their own end-goal and encourage the incorporation of different gamelines, and advice on how to create your own Contagion Chronicle, as well as the existing ones, it basically sets you up to run further crossover games.

'But why do I need this to do crossover? Nothing stops me from having a Mage and a Vampire group as it is.' While that's true, between the factions and the contagion, it appears like the game is so you can have a Mage and Vampire group that fits within the setting of the world better, without sacrificing the themes or moods of either. So it is a vampire and a mage teaming up, as opposed to a bunch of vampires and a mage because Player C didn't want to play a vampire. Plus while members of the factions are aligned together and generally have the same goal, they aren't brainwashed and forced into loyalties, so when the Vampire and Mage group recruits a Hunter, they don't have to be thrilled about it but willing to put aspects of their enmity temporarily aside for the greater goal of the faction.

I think this last part is going to be the hardest sell. Because there are people who have run crossover, and don't think they need any help in that regard. I had the same view regarding Dark Eras. If you want to run a game in the Roman Empire, just read up on the Roman Empire and run a game there. But I think the writers proved themselves pretty well with Dark Eras. Another hitch might be the 'I just play one game,' people, which I completely get. Dark Eras had that issue, too, as the first one offered one and a half, I think, Dark Eras for vampires making the rest of the book sort of an added expense (and shipping nowadays, Jeez), but it might be offering enough to encourage people who wouldn't normally crossover to do it. I'm really looking forward to the regions, personally. As far as I know they've only announced Odense to Edinburgh, San Francisco to New Zealand, and Kyoto to Antarctica. Also somewhere in Chile, I believe.

Last edited:

stsword

Validated User
One of the things I've gleamed is that Contagion isn't a modern thing, it's historical. It might be a change to introduce it to a specific game, but Contagion is part of the status quo of CoD.

You could play a Contagion Chronicle set during the age of the Black Death, or the Japanese smallpox epidemic of 735, the Smallpox epidemic of the New World, or the early days of HIV in the sixties, whatever sounds interesting to you.

I imagine you can also usher it in with an apocalypse if you'd rather have Walking Dead with werewolves.

Leliel

SJ Road Warrior
Validated User
One of the things I've gleamed is that Contagion isn't a modern thing, it's historical. It might be a change to introduce it to a specific game, but Contagion is part of the status quo of CoD.

You could play a Contagion Chronicle set during the age of the Black Death, or the Japanese smallpox epidemic of 735, the Smallpox epidemic of the New World, or the early days of HIV in the sixties, whatever sounds interesting to you.

I imagine you can also usher it in with an apocalypse if you'd rather have Walking Dead with werewolves.
Me, I'm running a vaguely looter-shooter (read here, Division 2 and Destiny) inspired game where the characters are young supernaturals coming of age in a Contagion-devastated planet where the Sworn managed to stalemate the apocalypse (as in, it happened, but humanity's development barely stalled because most of the world was in safe zones and the ones threatened by the Contagion knew how to immunize themselves/treat the infected).

Partially, this is because my 40K-addicted brain realized something:

The Sworn and False are the Mirror Universe Inquisition.

Think about it. What defines the Sworn are their willingness to compromise, to acknowledge internal problems, to try and make the world a better place even if it's for self-serving reasons of "I don't wanna live in Contagion Hell." What defines the False is saying "We live in a grimdark universe, screw hope, we're gonna find our corner of the world and make sure it runs the way we want it to in our corner of hell and bite anyone who tries to interfere, because making things better is a sucker's bet."

The very embrace of the grimdark, especially the No Compromise Ever mentality of the Fire-Bearers, is what corrupts them. The drive to understand the Contagion, even emphasizing with it in the case of the Theseans and the Rosetta Stone, is what allows the Sworn to examine it without being corrupted by it. Thus, here, Chaos is something that must be understood to be fought; trying to remain "pure" is a good way to be corrupted by it.

Hence, the Post-Apocalypse-Proofed world is a lot like a nicer version of Warhammer Fantasy; the good guys won, but what they won was the right to fight another day and now the world is menaced by a cosmic force of chaos and uncontrollable transformation. There are even beastmen constantly mustering for a fight (though here they're not a primitive species of barbarians that is honestly kind of racist against Gauls and other enemies of Rome; they're products of what happens when the Contagion interacts with the wishes of ghosts for someone to destroy the civilizations that brutalized and destroyed their own cultures first, essentially living golems steered by the desire for avenging genocide and oppression. It's actually morally just to side with them rarely, if the city-state they're menacing thinks slavery is a-OK, you just have to remember they're not actually people. They're humanoid shells for a mindless force of retribution that literally cannot understand nuance). Also I plan on North America being mostly given over to the local version of the Border Princes (Warhammer's take on the Border Kingdoms from Forgotten Realms, which cheerfully pointed out living in them must be hell. I plan on the Confederation of Brim Republics being much less cutthroat and more cooperative, but still, being in a place where most mapmakers have written in a dotted outline and went "fuck we're not keeping track of these borders, we'll be out of date next quarter" isn't for everyone; you're there because you can't or don't want to live somewhere else).

Top Bottom