• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Contagion Chronicle Kickstarter (CofD)

SunlessNick

Mildly Darkened One
Validated User
CoD monsters infected with something that changes them and now it's all down the drain?
As far as I can tell, it's more like an environment becoming toxic than an infection. "Poisoned" supernaturals have their powers and weaknesses go haywire - but it also messes with God Machine Infrastructure, and presumably other supernatural places of power. The factions divide into Sworn and False - each has its own theory of why the Contagion happens - and their own idea on how to combat it (if Sworn) or use it (if False).

As stsword said, the Contagion is presented as something necessarily new - rather it's something that's occasionally happened throughout history.

I've asked, and been told the answer is yes, that the book provides advice on crossover chronicles without the Contagion as a framing factor (the same way as you can run Vampire with or without the Strix or Werewolf with or without the Idigam). Including, which I also specifically asked, making the Sworn factions robust enough that they could be used without the Contagion impelling their creation.

stsword

Validated User
Hence, the Post-Apocalypse-Proofed world is a lot like a nicer version of Warhammer Fantasy; the good guys won, but what they won was the right to fight another day and now the world is menaced by a cosmic force of chaos and uncontrollable transformation. There are even beastmen constantly mustering for a fight (though here they're not a primitive species of barbarians that is honestly kind of racist against Gauls and other enemies of Rome; they're products of what happens when the Contagion interacts with the wishes of ghosts for someone to destroy the civilizations that brutalized and destroyed their own cultures first, essentially living golems steered by the desire for avenging genocide and oppression. It's actually morally just to side with them rarely, if the city-state they're menacing thinks slavery is a-OK, you just have to remember they're not actually people. They're humanoid shells for a mindless force of retribution that literally cannot understand nuance). Also I plan on North America being mostly given over to the local version of the Border Princes (Warhammer's take on the Border Kingdoms from Forgotten Realms, which cheerfully pointed out living in them must be hell. I plan on the Confederation of Brim Republics being much less cutthroat and more cooperative, but still, being in a place where most mapmakers have written in a dotted outline and went "fuck we're not keeping track of these borders, we'll be out of date next quarter" isn't for everyone; you're there because you can't or don't want to live somewhere else).
Oh for a moment there I thought you were going to incorporate the Shattered Lands material from Mirrors, and that Warghaz (or however it's spelled), being stronger, smarter, and better at teamwork than regular old humans, spread like wildfire after the apocalypse.

Now I'm picturing combining Contagion with Woundgate, that the Contagion broke off the corpseland from the shattered realms.

Leliel

SJ Road Warrior
Validated User
Oh for a moment there I thought you were going to incorporate the Shattered Lands material from Mirrors, and that Warghaz (or however it's spelled), being stronger, smarter, and better at teamwork than regular old humans, spread like wildfire after the apocalypse.

Now I'm picturing combining Contagion with Woundgate, that the Contagion broke off the corpseland from the shattered realms.
Honestly, I didn't even think of that. Totally slipped my mind; good suggestion.

atavist5

Validated User
Looks like the first setting we're getting (tomorrow) is Edinburgh, with a 'Contagion of Blood,' kicked off by the arrival of a Mummy, and a hasty response from the God-Machine.

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
That's kind of brilliant.

I wouldn't mind an expanded look at Woundgate, either, with room for the splats that came after it.

Leliel

SJ Road Warrior
Validated User
And we have the full purview for Edinburg.

I've just started reading it, and here's something interesting:

Iufenamun is not a Contagious, or at least not initially one. He's the main antagonist, yes, but he actually was drawn to the Contagion, which here manifests as Blightfang - a disease that turns people into vampires without the Embrace, and the Grey, the plague the God-Machine made to thin out Blightfang Kindred numbers. He showed up because he thinks he can use the Blightfangs as his army, and he wants to exploit the Reality Bleed effect it has to pull in a world where the Nameless Empire never fell to serve as the capital of a new one. Also, "define what the Contagion symptoms are" seems to be key when designing a setting. We have Blightfangs and Reality Bleed, of course, but it's explicit that's hardly the only one.

If nothing else, I have the Tomb Kings stand-in for the Post Contagion Apocalypse ("There is the islands, but there is no United Kingdom anymore. Sand covers the tors. Papyrus competes with pines. The Thames is pure and hippopotami are a danger to its sailors. Temples to Re, Amun, and Sekhmet stand proudly next to what was once the Houses of Parliament. There is no King or Queen now. Only the Emperor of the Ashen Lands. Only Iufenamun.")

Last edited:

atavist5

Validated User
I like that he's from another universe. Pretty nasty baddie, especially with his gear. Even the side-effects of the Contagion are pretty horrible, definitely something for PCs to want to deal with or run away from.

Craig Oxbrow

Ah, y'know. This guy.
Validated User
As an Edinburgh resident, I love the snooty Sin-Eaters at the Royal College of Surgeons, among other things.

Leliel

SJ Road Warrior
Validated User
Also, apparently difficulty was mentioned.

According to the official boards, this was a WoD-ism creeping in by accident, and it will be corrected.

Top Bottom