Copies of THE SASSOON FILES Ordered Destroyed by Chinese Government

wheloc

He's trying real hard to be one of the good guys.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The Sassoon Files (NSFW art warning on description page, but link is to SFW video in update) is a recently kickstarted Lovecraftian campaign set in 1920's Shanghai. The books were successfully printed in China, but they failed to pass some sort of Chinese-government inspection, and so the books were evidently ordered to be destroyed. Possibly because the government didn't like what the game was saying about 1920s Shanghai, or possibly because of the art featuring a tentacle monster with visible nipples (or possibly for a host of other reasons).

The printer refunded their deposit, so it'll cause a delay but they should be able to find another printer and continue.

That this can happen is something to consider when deciding where to get your books printed (though I have a couple of books on my shelves that were successfully and cheaply printed in China).

Ben W Bell

Analyst for hire.
Validated User
It's both an honour point that I backed a book that was destroyed by Chinese censors, and worrying for all the RPG companies that have their books printed in China.

TheMouse

garmonbozia
Validated User
On the bright side, once they find a new printer, they can market the books as, "What the Chinese government didn't want the world to see," or the like.

Count_Zero

Game Master
Validated User
Does this kind of thing happen often? This is the first time I've heard of something like this happening this late in the publication process.

SunlessNick

Mildly Darkened One
Validated User
That does look like a good product. Although I anticipate many instances of saying Vidal instead of Victor.

yukamichi

Unregistered User
Validated User
Does this kind of thing happen often? This is the first time I've heard of something like this happening this late in the publication process.
I've heard of it happening a couple other times (yes, after they were printed) but can't for the life of me remember what books they were, so you are free to take my memories with a grain of salt.

What I don't get every time I hear about it is why they don't get this sorted out before things actually get printed, though.

laffingboy

Vuvuzela Philharmonic Fan
Validated User
I love Cthulhu stuff, pulpy '20s-'30s stuff, and adventures in Shanghai. Also, I love stickin' it to The Man. So this book sounds perfect!

Top Bottom