• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Copies of THE SASSOON FILES Ordered Destroyed by Chinese Government

theliel

Fan of Many Things
RPGnet Member
Validated User
My understanding from the KS page is that Jesse Conver lives in China.
That may have been a factor, and probably got him extra attention.

The entire industry moving over to China so that they're the de facto printing headquarters of the world is a result of the industry. This is just the latest example of "don't let your suppliers form a monopoly"

CoreyHaim8myDog

Validated User

The entire industry moving over to China so that they're the de facto printing headquarters of the world is a result of the industry. This is just the latest example of "don't let your suppliers form a monopoly"
Actually, Eastern Europe is very popular with RPG companies for printing.

ChalkLine

Rogue Conformist
Validated User
The Sassoon Files mentions the Nationalists and Sun Yat Sen who the PRC consider traitors and also associates with Taiwan.

Of course, the PRC would probably prefer that nobody look up the history and see that the Communists cooperated with the invading and brutal Japanese while the Nationalists bled themselves white fighting them (and the Communists at the same time)

FirstWave

Validated User
Hopefully more books will be printed in other countries. It's better to pay more than give into Chinese censorship.

Iozz-Sothoth

Cruel Angel's Viva Voce
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User

I think in this case it's more 'I cannot use my local printers because it turns out that the current dictator is a doctrinaire wanker' in a similar way to how controversial authors like Yan Lianke can only be be published in Taiwan, rather than reflective of the broader trends within the industry. When it starts happening to non-PRC based companies, then it'll be an instance of the monopoly problem.

The Sassoon Files mentions the Nationalists and Sun Yat Sen who the PRC consider traitors and also associates with Taiwan.
IIRC Sun Yat Sen is still held in fairly high regard by the CCP -- which doesn't mean that mentions of him won't be a target for censorship, quite the opposite. It's Chiang Kai Sheck who they might be more dubious about, I'd imagine.

BethDragon

nominally Good Person
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Instead of considering publisher as martyrs of free speech does anyone think this is pretty much only logical conclusion of printing your books in totalitarian regime because it is cheap.
Largely this is just taking a page from apple, google, -or any other late stage capitalism entity.

And yes, all the articles with all the handwringing about being "unfeasible" without printing in a censors country is annoying.

Y'all (printing industry) made choices that led to this.

Moderator Text:

Yeah, we're not going to have the 'blame people for working where they actually _live_' here. Both of you are threadbanned from this thread.

Shadowplay0

Social Justice Mechwarrior
RPGnet Member
Validated User
If there's any way to jump on this as a "slacker backer", I'm sure i'm not the only one who would be interested.

lucidchthonia

Validated User
Is there a good reason to believe this isn't just a repeat of the Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine kickstarter fiasco (which also involved Jesse Covner)?

Top Bottom