IC [Costume Fairy Adventures] Havoc and Piesaster

Fluorite

Sparkly and salty
Validated User
Prologue

Humans sure do like their fairy tales, and it’s hard to blame them. After all, fairies are totally awesome. Wings. Magic. Immortality. What more could you want? Sure, the Big Folk get a lot of the finer details about fairies wrong, and they always feel the need to shoehorn a moral in there too. Stuff like: “be kind”. “It’s what’s on the inside that counts.” Or, at the very least, “don’t make a bargain with the Fair Folk”.

It would seem there are still a few people who haven’t taken that last lesson to heart. Why, just last night you discovered some very interesting notes in the woods.

The first you found strapped to a side of juicy bacon slung over a tree branch.
“Dear Fairies, that bastard Bill Harvey has almost won my beloved Mae over, and I can’t have that. Stop him from winning tomorrow’s pie-eating contest, and you’ll have enough sausages for a year.”

The second you found tied to a burning scented candle. Its lovely brass candlestick had been loosely fastened to a road sign.
“Dear Fair Folk, I have almost won the heart of my beloved Mae, but that awful John Thompson is always getting in the way. Make sure he doesn’t win tomorrow’s pie-eating contest, and your lairs will not be dark for a year.”

The third you found folded in the hands of an exquisitely dressed porcelain doll seated right in the middle of a stone fairy circle.
“Noble Fair Ones, I want to tell my beloved Mae how I feel, but I can never get a moment alone with her. Can you arrange for us to have some time to speak tomorrow, without those oafs Bill and John or all the stress of the pie competition? If you can, you’ll have dresses for a year. Yours, Tanya Barrington.”

It’s fae tradition to honor requests like these to the letter, especially ones with such open wording and the promise of juicy rewards. Really, what self-respecting fairy could say no?

OOC: You’ve discovered the following Shenanigans:

Burn His Wick (10 Motes)
Ensure that the candlestick maker Bill Harvey does not win the pie-eating competition, by any means necessary.

Spoil His Meat (10 Motes)
Ensure that the butcher John Thompson does not win the pie-eating competition, by any means necessary.

Playing at Cupid (10 Motes)
Arrange for the tailor Tanya Barrington to have some peaceful time alone with the baker Mae Honeydew, the busiest woman in the village, on the day of the pie-eating competition.

Village Square
Center of Attention, So Many Pies, Highly Scroungeable

And so we come to this charming rural village. It’s a cozy little hamlet just off the imperial road, nestled in the countryside, not a long walk (or flight!) from the forest. A light breeze flutters through the festive bunting decorating Town Hall, the Rose Gables Inn, and a few other shops facing the square. They look out at a bustling crowd of pie-hungry festival-goers from all over the province.

A ten-foot-tall limestone statue of the town’s (wholly fictional) founder presides over the square. She’s a peasant woman holding a hoe in one hand and reaching out with the other, and the inscription on her pedestal reads “Miranda Clegg—Work hard and take what’s yours". Under her gaze, banquet tables groan under the weight of many dozens of pies—every kind you can think of and then some. The smell of yet more delicious pies floats in from the Honeydew Bakery off to the west, and above it all hangs an air of pleasant anticipation.

I sure hope everyone’s enjoying the atmosphere, because it‘s not going to last.

After all, the lot of you are here.

No matter how today shakes out, the villagers will talk about it for a long time afterwards, that much is for sure.

OOC: Where‘s your fairy and what are they up to?

Also, bonus Shenanigan:
Historical Revisionism (5 Motes)
Turn Miranda Clegg into a fairy.

Xander

Validated User
Lyncus licks his whiskers. Today's breakfast, a little sparrow, twittered something about the baker and some humans who mean to woo her.

Many humans are gathered in town with lots of food, that should be good eating after dark when the mice come. And humans with full bellies sleep deeply, a fine chance to find a sparkly or three under the veil of night.

The others were always quicker to untangle puzzles and play with words - Lyncus can only start at the beginning by patiently stalking the prey to discover its habits.

Silently, he slinks through the alleys to the bakery in search of Mae, to see what she is doing today.

OOC: Lyncus will look for Mae and shadow her, so we can see more about what she is like and what she's doing today.

Lyncus prefers living prey, like a cat, so in his "I Want It Meow", he would rather eat someone's caged bird or pet mouse or a chicken, rather than pies and stuff. More for everyone else! :)

Last edited:

Felix

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Lydya Withawye

Lydya flits through the village in her shinobi outfit, thinking deep thoughts.

"I am sooo dark and foreboding looking in this outfit," she says, pirouetting in mid-air so that anybody could see, if they were paying attention. "Nobody could possibly be darker than me."

Something catches her eye.
“Dear Fair Folk, I have almost won the heart of my beloved Mae, but that awful John Thompson is always getting in the way. Make sure he doesn’t win tomorrow’s pie-eating contest, and your lairs will not be dark for a year.”
"Yes. I could totally be surrounded by candles. It would make my face look sooooo spooky," she thinks. "Obviously the best way to keep this John from winning the pie eating contest is to steal all the pies, and let Mae know it was the candle maker's idea."

She heads off to the baker, ignored by the humans and annoyed that no one is noticing her cool black ninja suit.

OOC:
Just using the suit's "Stealthy" quirk for flavor here. And so that when she sees Faerier's Grim Reaper costume she can get all upset, of course. :D

The Discerning Gentleman

Has Transcended
Validated User
After Prince Wellum has stumbled upon all of these offerings, he suffers a brief dilemma. One villager has offered a year of sausages! His mind races with what kinds they will be? The spicy ones? Ooh, what if they are the really greasy tasty ones? Awe man, it could be dozens of the little red ones all linked together! (mouth watering in anticipation)

Wellum coul care less about candles and dresses, but Miss Tanya did touch Prince Wellum's regal side by pleading for a noble's assistance. But like I said, it was a brief dilemma. Sausages it is!

But first he must follow the lovely aroma of pie!

Prince Wellum flitters toward the direction of pie smell!

Bira

Validated User
Candles smell nice and bacon is tasty, but Brunhilde would not consider herself a knight worthy of the name if she did not fight in the name of love!

Donning her military uniform, she takes flight over the city square, flying in an unnecessarily complicated patrol pattern to ensure everything is safe and to find opportunities to get Tanya and Mae together....

Or that's what she would be doing if the were not flying at the exact altitude where the aroma of pie is densest. Soon Brunhilde's mind is filled with nothing but thoughts of pie, and she starts to look for one she can easily snatch away.

OOC:
Focus 1, go!

Fluorite

Sparkly and salty
Validated User
Village Square

Pies, pies, pies… looks like they’re all out in the open, and there are lots of Big Folk around. Then again, there are also lots of pies, and you can’t keep a good watch on that many of anything, can you?

Well, maybe not. Looks like there’s a scene developing near the inn that’s attracting much of the crowd’s attention. Two large, imposing men—John Thompson and the village blacksmith—are standing in front of the inn’s door and loudly arguing with a small, well-dressed, weasely fellow—that must be Bill. Allison Carter, the shepherd, appears to have sided with Bill in whatever they’re arguing about, and interjects every so often. From where Brunhilde is, it’s a little hard to hear what they’re saying.

That’s not what’s important, though! All that ogling has left the southernmost table all but unguarded, and now there are a bunch of pies ripe for the taking. Their scents mix together, sweet and savory and strange. All an enterprising fairy would need to do is grab one and no one would be the wiser.

Honeydew Bakery
So Many Pies Yet Still Not Enough, Scene of a Previous Crime

The scent of freshly baked pies draws the fairies on, growing stronger and more enticing the closer they get. More than the smell, though, shouts and clanging noises grow louder as our protagonists get closer to the little Tudor-style building.

Maybe Lyncus has hunted rats here before, or maybe Lydya has "borrowed" a blackberry mini-tart to re-dye her hair. Any fairy who’s been here before will remember it as tidy and smelling more like bread than pastry. Today, though, chaos reigns. There’s a faint dusting of flour over everything, and exhausted-looking apprentices swarm the place like ants. Some run into the building loaded down with sacks of flour, bags of fruit, or cuts of meat, while others scramble to get pies into or out of makeshift ovens, and one poor boy appears to have just passed out in the corner.

At the center of the hurricane of workers is a middle-aged woman with long blonde hair and the expression of a cornered animal. She slices the excess crust off a pie so fast her arm is a blur and plops the completed pastry onto the nearest one of those... you know those flat wooden spatula-looking things with the long handles? I think they’re called peels? She does not stop to worry about whether that’s the right name, because she doesn’t have time, and instead starts counting the pies closest to her.

Mae Honeydew is normally pretty jovial when she's not being stolen from, so seeing her like this is a little weird. She gives up counting and sighs. “Catherine! CATHERINE!” Mae yells. “Have you finished the last inventory of the pies yet?”

“I think we’re at four hundred and thirty, ma’am!” A girl with a “#1 Apprentice” applique on her toque pipes up.

“Seventy more!? We need seventy—” Mae cuts herself off with a hiss. “Oh gods. Let’s just get back to it and hope we can make the deadline.”

OOC: Mae’s Stress Limit is 10, she has Moxie and Focus scores of 3, and her Quirks are Artisan Baker and This Is the Most Important Day.

Shenanigans unlocked:
The Pie Price (5 Motes)
Present Mae with a gift that adequately compensates her for past pie thievery. (“Adequately” means by GM and fairy standards, not necessarily baker standards.)

Pie-a-pult 2.0 (5 Motes)
Using only materials obtained on-site, hit someone in the Village Square with a pie fired from the bakery.

Overtime Considered Harmful (5 Motes)
Convince an overtired apprentice to do something deeply stupid and hilarious.

Xander

Validated User
Lyncus lurks in the shadows, only his leaf-green cat-eyes visible under a shelf loaded with dirty baking pans, unseen among the clamor. He spies a mouse, holding very still under his predator's gaze.

Lyncus ponders, wondering what could happen with the wisp of an idea in his inscrutable beast-mind...

He creeps close to whisper in the mouse's ear with an amusing proposition.

OOC: Lyncus will try to persuade the mouse to gather a bunch of other mice to crawl into the clothes of the passed-out dude. When he wakes up and screams, the mice will be free to gobble as much as pie they want in the ensuing chaos. Lyncus also promises not to eat any of the bakery mice today.

Lyncus uses Craft 3. He rolls 2d6, 1 + 1 for Quirk Curiosity Killed...
Roll is 5 and 2, which should be a success, if I read right.

Bira

Validated User
Village Square

Pies, pies, pies… looks like they’re all out in the open, and there are lots of Big Folk around. Then again, there are also lots of pies, and you can’t keep a good watch on that many of anything, can you?

Well, maybe not. Looks like there’s a scene developing near the inn that’s attracting much of the crowd’s attention. Two large, imposing men—John Thompson and the village blacksmith—are standing in front of the inn’s door and loudly arguing with a small, well-dressed, weasely fellow—that must be Bill. Allison Carter, the shepherd, appears to have sided with Bill in whatever they’re arguing about, and interjects every so often. From where Brunhilde is, it’s a little hard to hear what they’re saying.

That’s not what’s important, though! All that ogling has left the southernmost table all but unguarded, and now there are a bunch of pies ripe for the taking. Their scents mix together, sweet and savory and strange. All an enterprising fairy would need to do is grab one and no one would be the wiser.
Yes! Yeeeees. A perfect tactical situation. All Private Brunhilde has to do is angle her approach just so, glide all the way down to the pie table, grab the pie closest at hand, and lift off with help from a friendly passing breeze! That should get close enough to overhear some of the conversation, though whether that will stick or not is anyone's guess, because pie.

OOC:
I want to roll using Grace because this is absolutely about showing off. 1 base die, +1 from On Your Six because Brunhilde doesn't want the bigjobs at the other end of the table to see her approaching, +1 because In This Fairy's Army we don't mess up our swoops, and +1 because there's So Many Pies it should be easy to catch one.

I'm not quite sure what we're using to roll dice, so I made the roll in Orokos. The result (official link here) is 1, 3, 4, 5, which is a success with a result of 4!

This means I get to narrate what happens, right? If so, Brunhilde will manage to approach silently while catching some of the conversation, snatch a tasty pie of the table, and noisily fly away with a very loud "Woohoo!"

Felix

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Lydya Withawye

Honeydew Bakery
So Many Pies Yet Still Not Enough, Scene of a Previous Crime

The scent of freshly baked pies draws the fairies on, growing stronger and more enticing the closer they get. More than the smell, though, shouts and clanging noises grow louder as our protagonists get closer to the little Tudor-style building.
Lydya flits in stealthily, like a shinobi butterfly. No, like a ninja moth! That's much darker. Yes, definitely like a ninja moth. Like a ninja, she has a mission: steal the pies and frame John Thompson.

She looks around to scope out the situation, like any ninja would do.

There’s a faint dusting of flour over everything, and exhausted-looking apprentices swarm the place like ants. Some run into the building loaded down with sacks of flour, bags of fruit, or cuts of meat, while others scramble to get pies into or out of makeshift ovens, and one poor boy appears to have just passed out in the corner.
"Oh Em Gee," Lydya whispers to herself, silently, like a silent ninja moth. That human is so hard core, ignoring the yelling bigger humans and just tuning out. She can imagine his dark and brooding thoughts. Surely she can get him to help her with stealing the pies, to stick it to the baker who is cruelly oppressing him.

But not like that. He's never going to get away with stealing things in those flour covered clothes, and she knows he doesn't want to look like that. It's time to give hm a makeover. Then she can wake him up and convince him to steal some of the pies with her.

OOC: Lydya's "plan" is 1) make the kid look dark and broody and more thief-like while he sleeps. 2) Convince him to help steal pies. 3) Get motes from Overtime Considered Harmful.

Unfortunately for her, I think the makeover is Craft, and she's got 1. But she'll use her Melodramatic Quirk, and her costume's Stealthy Quirk, so she can silently make him over. I'll be trying out rpg.net's built in die roller now, so I need to post this and edit it first. If you're reading this immediately after it appears please wait a couple of minutes.

And she fails. Have fun narrating, Fluorite Fluorite

Top Bottom