IC [Costume Fairy Adventures] Havoc and Piesaster

The Discerning Gentleman

Has Transcended
Validated User
Prince Wellum takes to the sky, circling high above the village, and taking in the lay of the land, where the most people are gathering, and taking notes of important landmarks and businesses.

Fluorite

Sparkly and salty
Validated User
Village Square
Center of Attention, So Many Pies, Highly Scroungeable

Nobody notices Brunhilde as she corners a particularly pretty pie: a flaky pastry shell full of golden custard, all dusted with a pretty pattern of cinnamon on top. It smells sweet and acidic. While Brunhilde gets a firm grip on both sides of the tin and revs up for takeoff, she can make out snatches of the humans’ conversation.

First, there’ a gravelly voice with an affected, old-timey accent that could only come from the smith, Smithee Smith VI. “Tradition says that contestants can’t enter the inn for twenty-four hours before the contest, and I don’t budge on tradition. You know that, Bill.”

John Thompson nods. “Yes, tradition is important. But more importantly, it means you can’t do what you want!”

“What? But it’s not a hard rule!” Bill whines. “I just want to grab a drink and enjoy the atmosphere before the pie-eating contest kicks off, you know?”

“He’s right—there isn’t a rule against entering the inn like there is for putting thorns onto your opponents’ seats.” Allison chimes in. You can hear the smile in her voice. ”Besides, if all he wants is to go in and get tipsy, what’s the harm?”

Then the breeze carries Brunhilde and her tasty prize back up above the rooftops. It doesn’t carry her victory whoop away, though, and several of the assembled humans look up at Brunhilde with varying levels of amusement.

OOC: Congrats on that pie! Also, Shenanigan unlocked:

Get Carter (15 Motes)
Successfully prank Allison.
*note: this is the hardest Shenanigan in the playset. Allison has high stats and wins ties.

Honeydew Bakery
So Many Pies Yet Still Not Enough, Scene of a Previous Crime

The mouse is incredulous at first, having lost some associates to Lyncus in the past, but today has been a very unusual day, and the offer is awfully tempting. It holds still as it considers, only its little nose twitching. Then it scampers off beneath a counter, squeaking into the shadows.

Gradually, the squeaks begin to multiply.

While this is happening, Lydya begins her makeover, uninterrupted by any of the humans. First, she removes much of the flour dusting the passed-out apprentice’s outfit. Well, maybe “move” would be more accurate. She at least manages to wipe some of the flour onto his left hand and lower sleeve, covering them in white. (Asymmetry is edgy, right?)

Next, the hair. Mercy of mercies, it’s already black. Lydya flies up to give the kid a fierce, dramatic spiked ‘do to bring out the ninja in him…

But just as she gets into her work, a small, furry river of mice stampedes over the apprentice, crawling into his clothes and wriggling around under the fabric. This jolts him awake, and he jerks forward with a scream. Lydya gets shoved face-first into the poor boy’s hair and her arms are tangled up to the elbows. The apprentice jumps up, and the nearest two run to his side. One props him up, while the other does their level best to help shake the rodents off of him. The spectacle attracts most of the spare attention in the bakery.

“Gareth, what on earth is happening over there?!” Mae snaps at the mouse-afflicted boy.

Gareth, who’s about halfway to being mouse-free, can only manage “MICE EVERYWHERE, OH GODS, WHY ME” as he sheds vermin.

Bird’s Eye View of the Village
Look At the Big Picture, It’s Chilly Up Here

The Village Square is the core of the town, ringed in by the town hall and inn, as well as the butcher, tailor, candlemaker’s shops. Directly to the east and west are the bakery and smithy, respectively. To the south there are a few more homes and shops which give way to the village green, a big tree, a cute clearing by the river, and then the forest where the fairies live. To the village’s north are the chapel and some nicer-looking houses: a large manor and a small but well-kept house with a large outbuilding stand out from the rest.

It’s hard to make out more details from up here due to your modest size, but your fairy's luck guarantees that you can find something interesting no matter which way you go!

OOC: This isn’t an exhaustive list of locations, and other locations could pop up if they become relevant/appropriate.

The Discerning Gentleman

Has Transcended
Validated User
Prince Wellum, seeing no immediate threat from above, can no longer resist himself. He dives down steeply and cannon-balls into the first fruity pie he sees! (Hopefully a strawberry one!)

Bira

Validated User
Then the breeze carries Brunhilde and her tasty prize back up above the rooftops. It doesn’t carry her victory whoop away, though, and several of the assembled humans look up at Brunhilde with varying levels of amusement.
Feeling pretty good about herself, Brunhilde will float on the winds of victory for a moment before looking for a nice vantage point from which to enjoy her new prize. Once that's dealt with, she'll try to see what's so interesting about that inn no one can enter, assuming nothing else draws her interest.

OOC:
I'll leave Brunhilde's vantage point to the GM's discretion, and if the chaos at the bakery doesn't spill over to where she can see it she'll try to enter the inn through its chimney. What facet would that test?

Xander

Validated User
Lyncus coolly surveys the chaos as mice scurry and scarf down pie. Lyncus leaps to a corner where Mae can see him and casually licks his whiskers as if to say "I could help, but I really can't be bothered now."

Fluorite

Sparkly and salty
Validated User
Honeydew Bakery
So Many Pies Yet Still Not Enough, Scene of a Previous Crime

Mae shoots Lyncus a glare hotter than all the ovens in the room. “Did you come here to mock us, you little good-for-nothing? We don’t have time for that today!” She grabs a wooden spoon and brandishes it at the cat fairy. ”If you’re not going to help de-mouse this place, then get out!

Most of the apprentices are busy trying to fight the tide of pie-eating mice, though a few stop to cheer Mae on as she corners Lyncus. Just as many are some shade of horrified, though. Poor kitty!

OOC: Mae will be having approximately none of this, and will roll Moxie to intimidate Lyncus. You need to roll for Moxie yourself and beat her result. I’m not rolling for her yet, though: you get the chance to spend Magic or use your powers before you see your opponent’s result.

Village Square
Center of Attention, So Many Pies, Highly Scroungeable

Prince Wellum throws himself into a sweet-smelling pie with red fruits peeking through a golden-brown lattice. He crashes through the crust, but the plump, heart-shaped slices of strawberry underneath cushion his dive. But before he can fully indulge in this strawberry heaven, Prince Wellum hears a sharp tsk and finds the village sheriff looming over him.

Granted, it’s not hard to loom over a fairy, but Jack Pratt’s height and no-nonsense demeanor make him intimidating by human standards too. The only non-spartan part of his appearance is a clockwork wedding ring. His handsome features are twisted into a glower. “Fairies. Of course you little devils would show up today.” Jack reaches for something in one of his pockets. “It’s still early in the day, so I’ll give you one chance. Leave the village now, or there will be consequences.”

Over towards the Rose Gables, Bill huffs indignantly and crosses his arms. “Seriously, I just want to have a little fun! Knock back a few drinks, cut loose with the boys. Maybe it’s not tradition, per se, but it fits the spirit of the holiday for sure!”

John stomps a foot. “You’re always trying to talk your way out of things! You think you’re so special that you can go around bending traditions and deceiving people?”

Allison chuckles. “This is a cute rivalry you two have.” She looks up to the rooftops and smiles in Brunhilde’s general direction. “Sure would be a shame if someone were to intervene, wouldn’t it?”

As this is going on, Brunhilde lands on the tailor's roof and digs in to her prize. The pie has a thin, sugary layer on top that crackles into sweet little shards under her teeth. She gets a mouthful of the golden custard underneath, and for a split second, vinegary tartness bursts onto her tongue. Hold on... is that actual vinegar in there? What the heck? But the taste quickly fades into a silky sweetness tinged with apples the more she chews, and the cinnamon on top provides a perfect little dash of spice. It all comes together to instill Brunhilde with a little extra fighting spirit.

OOC: That vinegar pie was special! Instead of healing your Stress, it gives you the Temporary Quirk “Full of Vim and Vinegar”. While you still have it, you get +3 to your Stress Limit, so that temporarily brings Brunhilde up to 13. If she loses the Temporary Quirk somehow, her limit will drop back to 10.

Also, to answer your question from earlier: If you’re initiating a roll yourself, what facet you roll against is up to you. Facets are more about a fairy’s approach to things than their ability, so as long as you can work it into your description of the action, it’s fair game. For example, if you wanted to use Moxie, you could narrate Brunhilde getting a running start and diving straight into the chimney! For Shine, you’d just have her jump in without even thinking about it, just trusting in her luck.

Xander

Validated User
Lyncus licks a dab of flour off his hand and sniffs the air.

Then with great show, he races to chase mice away (but true to his word, not eating anyone today).

OOC: Grace 4 to chase mice = 5, 1, 1, 6 for 2 successes
http://orokos.com/roll/721537

Felix

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Lydya Withawye
While (she assumes) Mae is distracted by Lyncus, Lydya realizes that this is the perfect opportunity to continue with operation makeover.

She crawls out of Gareth's hair (what a good name; it's almost a goblin name, and they're the edgiest of the fairies, after sprites). "You shouldn't have to put up with this," she cajoles him. "You're better than that. I bet she doesn't even let you eat the pies or use the fruit for valuable dyes, but makes you give them all away. Stand up for yourself, Gareth. She works you to the bone, when you know all you want to do is be your own person, live your own life. Don't let her tell you what to do. She's the man. Be the rebel you know you are!"

OOC: I guess this is Moxie 2 to convince him to rebel? Plus her Melodramatic for an extra die. I really should try to use Shine or Grace to min-max, but they don't quite seem to fit.

I won't roll just yet in case, you know, Mae is going to notice this and interrupt. Feel free to roll for me if it speeds things up.

p.s. Sorry for not posting for the last few days.

The Discerning Gentleman

Has Transcended
Validated User
Prince Wellum bows deeply to the sheriff, "While, yes sir, and many pardons, I just couldn't help myself with the lovely smell of pie, but now that I've gorged myself something fierce, I shall carry on my merry way, as I would definitely hate to find out what your "consequences" just might be about".
With that, Prince Wellum flutters about, as if he is leaving, but quickly dips into the Rose Gables for a closer look at what Bill is up too.

Bira

Validated User
Allison chuckles. “This is a cute rivalry you two have.” She looks up to the rooftops and smiles in Brunhilde’s general direction. “Sure would be a shame if someone were to intervene, wouldn’t it?”
The smart lady has a point, thinks Brunhilde, full of pie and licking her fingers. And hey, she had committed herself to getting these two out of the way of true love, so here's an opportunity. Once she's fairly sure the two aren't paying any attention to her, she will once again swoop down, grab John's hat, and fly with it into the forbidden pub. She's not sure what exactly that will accomplish, beyond increasing the general level of chaos here. Maybe John will change his mind and try to go in? Or Bill will use this opportunity to do the same? And in any case Brunhilde herself is beginning to get curious about what exactly is in there that's so important.

OOC:
John is the burly one, so I'm rolling Grace again because speed beats strength! I'm also adding dice for the following quirks:

- Personal: Highway to the Danger Zone, because that's exactly where we're headed.
- Costume: Superior Morale, the temporary quirk gained by the Camo Fatigue's costume power. Brunhilde is feeling pretty good about herself after eating that pie!

Edit: I still don't know how to add an inline roll, so here's one from Orokos: https://orokos.com/roll/723526

I think that means my result is 4, but this is an opposed test against everyone trying to prevent me from grabbing that hat and going into the pub, so it's too early to say it's a success :).

Top Bottom