• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Could someone explain the Robotech to me?

CynoT

Nuclear Energy Advocate
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So should I bother looking for fansubs of them?
Depending on where you are, it may be easier to find used DVDs of the ADV release. They are, IIRC, dual versions, with both the dubbed Robotech edit and the original unedited Japanese version with subtitles.

If you can't find those DVDs then the high seas are the only other choice. Given the licensing mess and HG's stubbornness I don't think Southern Cross and Mospeada will be streamed or rereleased officially. Not until the licenses expire.

drrockso20

Validated User
honestly the thing that amazes me the most about Robotech is that when they abortively tried to do a theatrical movie in the 80's that they used Megazone 23 of all things as the source material instead of just dubbing(and doing some very minor content editing of) Do You Remember Love?, I mean I have heard there were issues securing the rights to it(even if this was before things turned really ugly in the history of Macross rights) that led to the path they did take, but if they had managed to pull it off it could have been game changing

also considering Robotech's success(and the successes of other Robot franchises of the decade), I'm actually kinda surprised no one tried to bring over Gundam in a similar format*(could have merged Zeta and ZZ together perfectly if you were willing to wait till 1987), I mean I've heard about various abortive attempts at doing a Live Action movie during the 80's, and the failed Doozy Bots concept from the early 90's, but it's still kinda surprising how little effort was made in bringing it over till Gundam Wing got lucky

*although honestly there's dozens of Mecha anime from the late 80's through mid-90's that I'm generally amazed never got brought over to the US(for example I bet if Gaogaigar had gotten a dub in the late 90's it would have probably been a huge hit on Toonami or one of the other kid's TV blocks that bought into the anime craze of the tail end of the 90's and first decade of the new millennium)

Marcantony

Validated User
I've heard the Southern Cross edits are often considered an improvement. Personally I liked that part a fair amount. Never saw the third part on TV.
Not really. The storylines in both Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross and mospeada are better written, and a lot of things make more sense. Southern cross was ok but suffered too much from attempting to make it fit the robotech storyline.

I think it wouldve worked just as well to leave southern cross on the offworld colony, have everything happen as normal and then later in mospeada it is the cavalry fleets which come back to try to liberate earth. That way they wouldnt have had to edit episodes so heavily (for instance airbrushing out one of the colony's moons).

Oh yeah the original southern cross also had a LOT of nudity, another reason for editing it. You basically see Dana take a shower every episode, except for when theyre on the mothership. Which they then made up for by having Dana wonder through the change rooms of the female invaders showing them naked instead. Mospeada has a bit of nudity too.

mpswaim

Emo Dad
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I've heard the Southern Cross edits are often considered an improvement. Personally I liked that part a fair amount. Never saw the third part on TV.
The idol singer in Mospaeda was a guy dressed as a girl, and would probably be considered Trans today. (It's been 30 years, so I've forgotten the details.)

The thing which annoyed me was that, with the exception of the SDF-1, none of the official toys transformed. I bought Jetfire, a SD Valkyrie from Spencers, and an Alpha and Cyclone import from a local toy store, but nothing official, other than the SDF-1, because I was (and am) into the transforming part.

(Speaking of which, I've never even seen a fully transforming version of the Southern Cross tank.)

Last edited:

Dawgstar

RPGnet Member
Validated User
also considering Robotech's success(and the successes of other Robot franchises of the decade), I'm actually kinda surprised no one tried to bring over Gundam in a similar format*(could have merged Zeta and ZZ together perfectly if you were willing to wait till 1987), I mean I've heard about various abortive attempts at doing a Live Action movie during the 80's, and the failed Doozy Bots concept from the early 90's, but it's still kinda surprising how little effort was made in bringing it over till Gundam Wing got lucky
I expect it was because the franchise's price tag was too high. The trick was not having to pay too much for GoLion or similar before turning it around for Western audiences. And Toonami had the original Mobile Suit Gundam and honestly it didn't do well. Trying to have the original follow Gundam Wing was also not a great choice because Wing has a lot more appeal for a much wide audience.

The idol singer in Mospaeda was a guy dressed as a girl, and would probably be considered Trans today. (It's been 30 years, so I've forgotten the details.)
Nah, in both versions he's mostly cross-dressing to hide from either locals or the Invid.

Last edited:

mpswaim

Emo Dad
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Last edited:

GaoGaiGar

Is anyone REALLY a
Validated User
honestly the thing that amazes me the most about Robotech is that when they abortively tried to do a theatrical movie in the 80's that they used Megazone 23 of all things as the source material instead of just dubbing(and doing some very minor content editing of) Do You Remember Love?, I mean I have heard there were issues securing the rights to it(even if this was before things turned really ugly in the history of Macross rights) that led to the path they did take, but if they had managed to pull it off it could have been game changing
I don't think they had the movie rights. Someone else snapped them up and released it as "Clash of the Bionoids."

drrockso20

Validated User
I don't think they had the movie rights. Someone else snapped them up and released it as "Clash of the Bionoids."
if I'm reading Wikipedia right Clash of The Bionoids didn't happen till sometime in the 90's and wasn't exactly a large scale release either, I assume the people who did that dub got the rights cheap through either a loophole or got them cheap cause that was around the time Harmony Gold started being assholes regarding the Macross rights

Top Bottom