• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[creative] April Painting Thread

Arethusa

Sophipygian
RPGnet Member
Validated User
That's nice, what are the mini's from?
In the group picture the ones on approximately the righthand third are all from Pontoonier Miniatures: Barbary pirates, goblin pirates, and a dwarf cannon crew. The anthropomorphic rat pirate is from Dark Sword. The admiral-type woman in a bicorne hat holding a bag (in the back in front of the orange cylinder) is from Bombshell. Nearly everything else is from Reaper Miniatures.

The finished catfolk pirate is from Das Schwarze Auge and is pretty small, even for 25mm.

JamesG

Validated User
Is this thread for finished figures only? Would it be okay to show messy half-done phases?
Share what you're comfortable sharing. I try to only post finished figures rather than WIP because it's another push towards actually finishing things ("Ooh, if I get the last bits on that figure done I can post it to this month's Painting thread!"). That's a nice looking collection on your table.

Arethusa

Sophipygian
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Share what you're comfortable sharing. I try to only post finished figures rather than WIP because it's another push towards actually finishing things ("Ooh, if I get the last bits on that figure done I can post it to this month's Painting thread!"). That's a nice looking collection on your table.
Thank you. One of my tenets, in attempting to encourage people to try things, is “It doesn’t have to look pretty in the in-between stages.” I find it’s especially important in the arts, where pop culture tends to depict artmaking as an aesthetic photogenic romp.

I try to live up to my words by sharing the messy stages of how I get somewhere.

If it’s okay to link, I tweeted about this recently:

AlphaAsh

Miserable Git
RPGnet Member
Validated User
If I finish up with a model I'm pleased with, it's a bonus. If I finish up with a model I'm disappointed with, it's a learning experience. What matters more for me, is that I enjoy doing the project.

I post WIP as well as both what I consider a success or a failure, to show-off, for others to enjoy, and to provide (and solicit) advice from experience. Note advice, not criticism. The standard you work to is the only one that matters. I'd say about 50% of what I 'finish' I'm happy with. But I never really consider any model finished.

Last edited:

pogre

Validated User
If I finish up with a model I'm pleased with, it's a bonus. If I finish up with a model I'm disappointed with, it's a learning experience. What matters more for me, is that I enjoy doing the project.

I post WIP as well as both what I consider a success or a failure, to show-off, for others to enjoy, and to provide (and solicit) advice from experience. Note advice, not criticism. The standard you work to is the only one that matters. I'd say about 50% of what I 'finish' I'm happy with. But I never really consider any model finished.
Excellent philosophy.Very well stated.

That swordswoman is boss, pogre
Thanks very much. She is from Raging Heroes miniatures - Brunhilde Von Koningsmark.

Eremite

Validated User
So I've finally managed to take some half-decent pictures of minis! 20 pictures in this post, so be warned anyone on mobile. I'm happy to share techniques, paints and where I got bits with anyone interested.

Recently, I've been working on two things -picking away at Kingdom Death Monster minis for myself and friends and Alpha Legion Primaris.

Please enjoy two different Gold Smoke Knights, a Watcher and a Butcher (the latter two... badly photographed. I'm still deciding which GSK I prefer (and will keep for myself)

Spoiler: Show

And here are the Alpha Legion! Or Sons of the Hydra. Or whatever name they want to use...

Spoiler: Show
Here are 2 of my 5 Intercessors

Next up, 2 of the 10 Infiltrators

Now 2 out of Hellblasters! One is carrying a trophy holy relic...

2 (of 10) Reivers here...

And two officers and a Apothecary (pictured 'borrowing' some geneseed from the Imperial Fists).

Oh, and lastly an oridinary Primaris Captain.

Last edited:

The Discerning Gentleman

Has Transcended
Validated User

You couldn't have said it better, brother. You took the words from my mouth. 👍

Top Bottom