• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

(creative) June Painting Thread

Gallowglacht

Validated User
Likewise with your Genestealer Cults.
I'm hoping with practice they make Marines easier too, but even if they don't...

I remember the switch from 2nd to 3rd edition and while I decried the loss of detail I do remember the reduction in character influence, points reduction and introduction of more and more plastic kits having the pleasant effect of seeing more armies on the table. If Contrast make horde armies easier to paint that Marines, we might see more of them, and more painted armies overall.

I'm feeling pretty positive about Contrast :)

Asmodai

Warrior Kobold
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I love seeing you're doing with Contrast, Albertorius and Gallowglacht.

I picked a bunch of it up yesterday. I have a couple Marines to finish first, but I'm hoping the long weekend will give me time to experiment with it some too (first up will be using Skeleton Horde on some Conan models).

Anopheles

I draw bugs
Validated User

Finally getting back to getting pics of my miniature work. Been busy with other things. Here's a Khornate Varanguard Knight, the first of many to come.

Killfalcon

Reasonably Phosphorous
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I threw this Rob Liefeld-ian nonsense together in a week to a) get an entry into the local store's "contrast" competition and B) get the damn idea out of my head and into plastic.

Really happy with some of these colours, and especially the effect I got over a metallic base. It's not excellent work by any means, but damn, for the time I spent, it'll do!

Important inspiration piece:

Ace the hero

Waaaghboss in Training
Validated User
Lovely colors.

Here's some more Contrast painting:

Gretchins. Only the metal parts and eyes are non-Contrast.

Old metal Cadians, plus one Arcadian from Victoria Miniatures to fill in. The scheme here is Skeleton Horde and Militarum Green, Black Templar for the guns (plus regular metal), Wyldwood for the gear, Darkoath Flesh for skin. I really like how these came out, with one exception: Militarum Green is very light and too blotchy for helmets and shoulder pads, so I covered these in P3 olive again.

By the way, a size comparison in case anyone plans to mix old GW and Victoria:

Vic are noticeably taller and slimmer, and the shoulderpads are much smaller. It's not too bad, though, and the helmet alone goes a long way towards a unified look. They're also really good as far as 3rd party minis go, more detailed and better designed than Anvil or Mad Robot minis. Definite recommendation, if you can afford them.

Arethusa

Sophipygian
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Victoria Miniatures are fun. I love that she makes sensibly-uniformed female soldiers as well, not to mention the Spanish Inquisition that nobody expects.

Scutarii

Validated User
Victoria Miniatures are fun. I love that she makes sensibly-uniformed female soldiers as well, not to mention the Spanish Inquisition that nobody expects.
I kinda want some skimpily dressed, trouser waistline sitting reeaaal low, topless male figures with military helmets and guns so I can mix them into a normal squad in the same kind of ratio you find the 'token sexy female'.

Albertorius

Validated User
I had to keep at home (waiting for calls from the hospital), so I did some more tests with Contrasts (photos are kind of crap, thoug >_>):

First another GSC scheme (All contrast):
Spoiler: Show

Then an ork boy, because Gallowglatch's piqued my curiosity (Contrast plus metal):

Then an Epic ork unit, because I was interested in seeing how it would work for those (Contrasts, except for the base):

And this one for a size comparison:

And lastly, a test on batch painting... the whole 12 IGs were painted yesterday morning, in about three hours, with only Contrasts because I got lazy >_>:

They had been rotting inside a case the better part of... 10-12 years now, so... they won't be winning me any painting contests, but they are painted for tabletop use. (I kinda got bored and rushed it halfway though -_-, so I'm pretty sure I could do a better job of stuff I actually wanted to paint ^^).

After this, IMHO there are some paints of the range that work exceedingly well (flesh paints, the yellows and reds, a fair amout of the browns, most of the purples), some that may work better or worse depending on use (black, greys, most yellows, some greens), and some that simply doesn't seem to work very well at all, particularly the darker hues, with maybe Dark Angels Green being the worst of the batch.

Those in particular seem to work better with generous doses of medium, and I'll be doing more tests.

Last edited:
Top Bottom