• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

(creative) June Painting Thread

Montegris

Mostly lurking
Validated User
Some non-Contrast painting as I finish up my Marines.

First up are the 3 remaining models - the characters from Shadowspear:

Spoiler: Show

Next are some army shots. I started them in June 2017 when 8th ed. came out as a way to expand my painting skills (yellow is a difficult colour) and to use the contents of the starter box since I already had way more Dark Angels then I could conceivably fit on the table at once. Now they stand at 98 models and ~3750 points.

Characters and Dreadnoughts:

The Anvil - Intercessors, Hellblasters and Aggressors:

The Hammer - Infiltrators, Reivers, Inceptors, Suppressors and Eliminators:

That's glorious. I love Imperial Fists, but it takes a brave person to paint so much yellow.

A few of this months finished Skaven - building towards an AoS escalation campaign and running WFRP 4th (where the main villains are probably some Skaven). .

Grey Seer and Arch-Warlock

View attachment 22840

Doomwheel

View attachment 22841

Warp Lightning Cannon (detail) - trying out a bit of a rust wash [Humbrol enamel] which seems to work fairly well)

View attachment 22842
Those look great, although seeing skaven on round bases still hurts my sense of what's right and proper.

Scutarii

Validated User
Had some nervous energy tonight, so I decided to use it painting my first three Zhanshi for Infinity

What did I learn?

1. My hands are just as ill-suited to super-precise work as I remember them being.

2. Washing is super-easy, and drybrushing is completely impossible. My experiments so far with the drybrush have so far been complete disasters, so I think I'll just shelve that particular technique.

3. Seriously, why don't I have a proper palette to work with paints on. Am I dumb?

Fun to get back to work. I may do some more of the containers next.
That’s not bad at all! Maybe it’s just the lighting but the faces seem quite glossy, did you have a flesh tone wash on them?

awaddie

Validated User
That's glorious. I love Imperial Fists, but it takes a brave person to paint so much yellow.

Those look great, although seeing skaven on round bases still hurts my sense of what's right and proper.
Thanks - I'm really enjoying painting them. Although the pile of unpainted clanrats makes me wince (occasionally - I've got enough painted to play).
Most of my Clanrats and Stormvermin are still on the proper square bases - given that I only ever play with friends re-basing them is well down the priority list.

Egyptian

21st Century Digital Boy
Validated User
That’s not bad at all! Maybe it’s just the lighting but the faces seem quite glossy, did you have a flesh tone wash on them?
No, now that I think about it I didn't remember to wash their faces. One of the hallmarks of my style is forgetting steps until days later. :)

JamesG

Validated User
It didn't feel like I got much finished this month, despite trying to dedicate some hobby time regularly.

Some of the Priority Supplies set for Star Wars Legion, entirely with contrast (plus basing). The tufts on the Moisture Vaporators are deliberately greener than the other Legion desert bases I have done.

Ongoing WIP of Blackstone Fortress figures.

And painted by my 5 year old daughter (and future Golden Demon winner):

Asklepios

Validated User
A FIVE YEAR OLD DID THAT?

She is frankly better at painting that a lot of mu adult friends. Get her to throw a watered down ink wash over that, and it'll be a completed mini.

JamesG

Validated User
A FIVE YEAR OLD DID THAT?

She is frankly better at painting that a lot of mu adult friends. Get her to throw a watered down ink wash over that, and it'll be a completed mini.
Thanks! She started with just picking a colour and slapping it all over a figure, but has picked up the idea of the different areas of the figure quickly, and holds a brush well. I try to put the colour she wants on the palette and get the consistency right for her (and make sure she doesn't try using my best brushes). I figure she will be washing figures by the end of the summer and her brush control will just get better as she practices ... I just need to assemble and prime a load of female Frostgrave soldiers so she has plenty to practice on.

Montegris

Mostly lurking
Validated User
My experiments with Contrast. About a single hour per mini, tops (would have been less if I was chain-painting, thus not wasting time waiting for them to dry).

This one took a single layer for each color. No washes, no drybrushing, no nothing.

This was an experiment. A layer of purple and then a layer of red on top, to create the effect of mutated skin. I'm quite pleased with the results. I did add a bit of drybrushed turquoise for the feathers in his outstretched arm.

Finally, the first of my Bögenhafen infantrymen (well, I have another 10 half-painted through traditional means. I was incredibly surprised by how good contrast is for whites and for faces in this mini. I'm very, very pleased with the results, considering everything here is one layer. The only thing I'm not 100% happy about is the metal color, as it's too silver, and you can't really tell it apart so well from the white. I might try to get a darker metallic color and give it another layer. Still, considering that this took me less than an hour to paint to an acceptable tabletop standard, this is incredibly good in terms of how much bang I get for my time. I'll definitely be using Contrast paints a lot in the future.

Top Bottom