• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Creators to precursor of HeroScape making new game

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/42715/restoration-games-unveils-unmatched-game-line-gts
Restoration Game announced they are partnering with Mondo Games to develop the Unmatched line of tactical combat games based on the mechanics of Star Wars: Epic Duels, predecessor to Heroscape. The publisher will be demoing the game at the GAMA Trade Show on Thursday March 14 from 2 – 6 in the Sierra Penthouse Suite on the 17th floor.

Unmatched pits players against each other in battle, with each player commanding a unique hero and custom deck of battle cards. Each set comes with a double-sided battlefield board. The first two sets to be released are Battle of Legends, Vol. 1 (including King Arthur, Alice, Medusa, and Sinbad) and Robin Hood vs Big Foot. Both are planned for debuts at Gen Con. Pour-Pack Sets have an MSRP of $39.95. Two-Pack Sets have an MSRP of $24.95..

Restoration and Mondo Games plan to release several licensed versions of Unmatched within the master game system. A Bruce Lee solo pack and a Buffy the Vampire Slayer set are both planned for later this year.

The line will continue in 2020 with Cobble & Fog (Sherlock Holmes, The Invisible Man, Dracula, and Jekyll & Hyde).

“We set out to make a simple, fast-paced skirmish game that rewards you for repeat play,” said J.R. Honeycutt, the lead line developer. “Asymmetry is core to Unmatched. No two heroes, decks, or maps are the same. Heroes have special abilities that fit their mythos, and sidekicks that support them. Each game of Unmatched unfolds uniquely, so you'll learn something new every time you take your favorite hero to battle. You'll make important choices as you fight: Should you step back and regroup, or press the advantage and attack?”
I'm quite curious. Anyone know much about this? Or their past games? It sounds affordable.

Vargen

Validated User
I bought Epic Duels when I saw it on clearance for $5. I would have been happy with the purchase if I'd paid full price. I should check and see if my copy survived the basement remodeling. Anyway, it's a really neat card-driven small-scale miniatures game. It's technically a precursor to Heroscape in that some of the same people worked on it and it came before, but knowing Heroscape doesn't really tell you anything about Epic Duels. If this is meant to be a spiritual successor to Epic Duels then I'm definitely interested.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
A friend of mine told me about Epic Duels, and said it was a great, great game. He said Aristeia reminded him a little of it, which was high praise considering how he held ED in such high regard. And since I <3 Aristeia, I'm now interested in Unmatched.

Can you tell me more, please?

Thane of Fife

Validated User
A friend of mine told me about Epic Duels, and said it was a great, great game. He said Aristeia reminded him a little of it, which was high praise considering how he held ED in such high regard. And since I <3 Aristeia, I'm now interested in Unmatched.

Can you tell me more, please?
Hasbro has the rules up on their website.

Basically, each player has a main character (usually a Jedi, but it could be Han or Jango Fett) and some minor allies (typically either a sidekick - Luke has Leia and Han has Chewie - or soldiers - Vader has stormtroopers and I think Obi-Wan had clone troopers). Each character also has a unique deck of cards. On most turns, you move a little bit, then do some combination of drawing and playing cards to attack or gain special effects. What makes the game good is that every team is unique. So, Vader may be very powerful, but his stormtrooper allies are very weak. Anakin might have cards with high attack and low defense values, whereas Obi-Wan might be the opposite. A guy like the Emperor might have relatively poor direct attacks, but nasty force powers.

On top of a basically good game system, it makes all of the characters feel unique and makes every match-up different. Then you also have different maps to fight on which can further mix things up.

Fortinbras

Agent of Dream
Validated User
Hasbro has the rules up on their website.

Basically, each player has a main character (usually a Jedi, but it could be Han or Jango Fett) and some minor allies (typically either a sidekick - Luke has Leia and Han has Chewie - or soldiers - Vader has stormtroopers and I think Obi-Wan had clone troopers). Each character also has a unique deck of cards. On most turns, you move a little bit, then do some combination of drawing and playing cards to attack or gain special effects. What makes the game good is that every team is unique. So, Vader may be very powerful, but his stormtrooper allies are very weak. Anakin might have cards with high attack and low defense values, whereas Obi-Wan might be the opposite. A guy like the Emperor might have relatively poor direct attacks, but nasty force powers.

On top of a basically good game system, it makes all of the characters feel unique and makes every match-up different. Then you also have different maps to fight on which can further mix things up.
I remember when some friends of mine were discussing it, they commented on how a fight between Obi-Wan and Jango Fett felt exactly like their fight on Kamino in Episode II. Obi-Wan kept trying to close and corner Fett, while Fett kept trying to rocket jump away and hit Obi-Wan with a series of special attacks in the hope that something would stick.

Top Bottom