• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Critical Role Campaign 2 - D&D, nerdy-ass voice actors and Wild(mount) Times

Bruder_Wen

The Cunning Geek
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think the answer to 'what percentage...' is 'an increasing percentage' - there are a LOT of stories of Critters who'd never played before and do now. (Which is why I'd like to see them feature more other systems on one-shots, though that's a pipe dream.)
I mean they have with a couple, but really only Honey Heist oh and a version of Vampire that wasn't really like any version of VtM that actually exists. Now they have more freedom on their own channel they might well try that, though if they do I suspect that they will bring in some of their friends to run these games.

Sigrid Hex

Social Justice Valkyrie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
If there is one thing I wish Critical Role did better, it would be to not conflate D&D with roleplaying in general. Like, when a bad roll happens and silliness ensures and someone goes "Well, that's D&D folks", I'm like "that's not uniquely D&D, guys."

Or when they're on Talks Machina talking about how D&D is great because it lets you experience a character and a different perspective in a unique way, or whatever, I'm like "you meant 'roleplaying games' when you said D&D there."

(Disclaimer: It occurs to me that I don't really know what the word 'conflate' means and I have no idea if I used it correctly. The sentence felt weird when I re-read it.)

Phantom Stranger

Welcome to Casablanca
Validated User
If there is one thing I wish Critical Role did better, it would be to not conflate D&D with roleplaying in general. Like, when a bad roll happens and silliness ensures and someone goes "Well, that's D&D folks", I'm like "that's not uniquely D&D, guys."

Or when they're on Talks Machina talking about how D&D is great because it lets you experience a character and a different perspective in a unique way, or whatever, I'm like "you meant 'roleplaying games' when you said D&D there."

(Disclaimer: It occurs to me that I don't really know what the word 'conflate' means and I have no idea if I used it correctly. The sentence felt weird when I re-read it.)
Yeah, this is an issue I have, too, but it's an issue I have with almost every D&D-prime group, because it's a very common behaviour with them. I'm more or less OK with it now.

Desiden

Validated User
? The biggest pledge tier was $25,000 - unless you're referring to a different CR KS?
Sorry, I meant "most popular" in that context. ~23,000 of the backers are at the $100 tier. Which is certainly higher than the price point for most standard RPG core books or KS pledges, but not terribly unusual for a premium edition or board game produced by an established company with a following.

My point generally being, even if we assume the CR kickstarters success can directly relate to opportunities for tabletop publishers, its not really highlighting anything new or particularly two-faced about RPG price tolerance. A creator with a following can get a fair number of fans to pay around a $100 bucks for a project. Could an average small publisher without an existing fanbase and/or premium production values set a price point for a core book at $100 and turn a profit? I don't know, but I tend to think the blockbuster kickstarters probably don't directly tell us much either way.

Fortinbras

Agent of Dream
Validated User
As a freelancer who really doesn't get any significant portion of his income from freelancing - yeah, I can understand a little bit of, "Yep, no money in RPGs, I should be grateful I get to write 'fun' stuff...*sigh*... Oh well, back to work." Particularly from folks who do get most of their income from RPG work.

I do think the getting actively angry, saying fans should have spent their money elsewhere or that the folks at Critical Role should do something else with the money, etc, is more than a little dumb.

I should note that I'm not on Twitter and haven't been following the Kickstarter much, so my only exposure to this has been a few friends saying things like the first comment, and I have no idea how common the second reaction is.

Honestly, I think the problem is mostly late-stage capitalism and people just generally not being able to get a living wage in a number of different fields, but I suppose that's a bit outside the discussion.

junglefowl26

Validated User
Yeah, this is an issue I have, too, but it's an issue I have with almost every D&D-prime group, because it's a very common behaviour with them. I'm more or less OK with it now.
Yeah.

I have to admit, my group currently plays more non-d&d than d&d, but we still usually refer to what we do as playing d&d, especially when around non-players.

Bruder_Wen

The Cunning Geek
RPGnet Member
Validated User
As a freelancer who really doesn't get any significant portion of his income from freelancing - yeah, I can understand a little bit of, "Yep, no money in RPGs, I should be grateful I get to write 'fun' stuff...*sigh*... Oh well, back to work." Particularly from folks who do get most of their income from RPG work.

I do think the getting actively angry, saying fans should have spent their money elsewhere or that the folks at Critical Role should do something else with the money, etc, is more than a little dumb.

I should note that I'm not on Twitter and haven't been following the Kickstarter much, so my only exposure to this has been a few friends saying things like the first comment, and I have no idea how common the second reaction is.

Honestly, I think the problem is mostly late-stage capitalism and people just generally not being able to get a living wage in a number of different fields, but I suppose that's a bit outside the discussion.
So I am currently supporting 4 RPG Kickstarters at the moment, currently costing me more than the Critical Role Kickstarter that I am also supporting. 2 of these are local based devs, heck one is based in a futuristic Canvey Island, I'm willing to bet 98% of you can't find Canvey Island on a map. One of the remaining one could be classed as a significant publisher, maybe not quite as big as Modiphius but getting there (because these days I don't really count the UK's largest RPG company as a struggling small venture). Once again kind of pisses me off to be told I am not doing my part to support small developers because I can also support a cartoon, based off a D&D game. Kind of like saying by watching Avengers 4 I won't be doing enough to support independent cinema. Just because I spend my money on one thing doesn't mean I can't/won't spend my money one another. I tell you what though, tell me enough times that I won't support smaller projects, eventually I really won't.

Damian May

Apex Predator
Validated User
Critters are boosting ( and funding ) other RPG Kickstarters all over the place at the moment; so hopefully that'll settle the haters for a bit.

randlathor66

Validated User
(Which is why I'd like to see them feature more other systems on one-shots, though that's a pipe dream.)
Well, you and I have the same pipe dream. I would love to get on twitch and show people that Chartmast… eer, Rolemaster isn't as scary as it is made out to be, and its critical system is much more fun than deadly.

Top Bottom