• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Critical Role Campaign 2 - D&D, nerdy-ass voice actors and Wild(mount) Times

randlathor66

Validated User
As a barbarian Yasha is supposed to get her Con bonus added to her AC along with her Dex bonus. If she uses armor she doesn't get it, and I get the feeling that her Con bonus is actually better than her Dex bonus (I don't remember her stats, though so that could be Though, I guess the biggest thing stopping her is her mental image of her character; if she doesn't see Yasha in armor, then she likely won't ever put her in it (unless it is too good to pass up, I imagine).

Propagandor

Square-Cube Law Compliant
Validated User
As a barbarian Yasha is supposed to get her Con bonus added to her AC along with her Dex bonus. If she uses armor she doesn't get it, and I get the feeling that her Con bonus is actually better than her Dex bonus (I don't remember her stats, though so that could be Though, I guess the biggest thing stopping her is her mental image of her character; if she doesn't see Yasha in armor, then she likely won't ever put her in it (unless it is too good to pass up, I imagine).
The wiki says Yasha has 15 Dex, 14 Con. Which gives her an AC of 14.

Sigrid Hex

Social Justice Valkyrie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
NakedBarbarian can work fine if you have the stats to pull it off. Yasha has mediocre stats at best and hasn't been increasing them with level or magic items. She's at the point where she really need something to boost her AC way past 14. And I suspect she probably would have if Ashley had been present more.

GetterBurai

Toyetic Fiend
Validated User
Just sorting some things on my mind after Talks

I think I've alluded to before ... watching Critical Role can be a very weird experience for me, because unlike most things in media it's essentially three different things at the same time:
1) The Reality Show: A curated peek into the metaphorical living room of a likeable group of friends hanging out together.
2) The Fantasy Show: A fictional narrative presented for my entertainment, just like a novel, movie, or TV series.
3) The Convention Show: A public demonstration of How To Play Dungeons & Dragons, that aspires to get others interested in playing.

Because of this, I often find I'm left with two or three separate opinions on what I've just watched which may contradict one another — particularly facets #1 and #3 when someone (most often Matt, just because of the dynamics of being DM means one makes more decisions at the table than any other single player) does something I'd consider questionable or problematic: from perspective #1, as long as none of the players are upset nothing has really gone wrong, but from perspective #3, I can still think it's a poor example I dread seeing imitated at a table I may actually be sitting at.

So. Talks Machinae, Episode 61: "Agreements", and That Thing With Fjord.

Spoiler: Show
This kinda hits me in a soft spot because I spent time relatively recently pulling my hair regarding similar issues in this RPGnet thread: the notion that a Warlock could be arbitrarily 'cut off from the tap' at their Patron's whim. That's ... not something inherent to the Warlock class (cf. Paladins and the explicit sidebar re: oath-breaking). The descriptions of the Warlock repeatedly uses language like "knowledge" and "arcane secrets", suggesting the idea that Warlock magic is still learned magic like a Bard or Wizard's and hence still "theirs" (contrasted with the Cleric, who is explicitly acting as a "conduit" for the supernatural power of their deity).

Now, that's fluff, not rules. The details of any given Warlock (or Cleric or Paladin for that matter) are explicitly left to the DM and the player to work out as they prefer. The DM and the player. Hence, two things really troubled me about the last Talks Machina:
1) Travis seems legitimately boggled that Fjord losing his powers could even be a possibility, and legitimately worried for the future that he might have screwed himself (and by extension the party) over with his chargen decisions. That's not a position any player should be in.
2) Marisha dropping a comment to the effect of "Dude, I warned you 'bout Warlocks!". Again, what they're discussing isn't a baked-in facet of the Warlock class; this isn't something "about Warlocks", it's something about Matt's campaign decisions. Which in turn feels like a recurring issue at the table: people throwing up their hands and sighing "Welp, that's D&D!" when, no, that's your DM -- a person right there you can actually talk to about what's going on.

Last edited:

Manitou

Emperor of the Americas
Validated User
Hmm, I would disagree with you a little. As It seems more like the whole party has the opinion about warlocks that their patron can withdraw their powers. Now by the book it mentions that some being might not even be aware of the warlock, and I agree that at least some of their magic should remain if they lose their patron, but in this specific campaign U'ka'toa is very aware of Fjord, and has most of it's restraints removed.

junglefowl26

Validated User
Yeah, it is the kind of thing I wouldn't do to a play and would be annoyed if a DM did it to me, and my read of the warlock is that patron more teaches you than empowers you (it is an arcane class instead of a divine one after all), but I have to admit it isn't bugging me too much while watching. Mostly I am curious where it will go because it is not like Fjord can get to the coast and get a ship and unlock the last seal real fast even if he wanted to.

As an aside, since the King that Crawls was mentioned as the god of slavers...was he mentioned at all when the gang went up against the Iron Shepherds? In particular, the guy they saw had a bit of a German accent and the Iron shepherds were working for a family called the Jagenthoths and that sounds kind of German and they had connections with Atvinka as well...and well it would make them a good overarching villain for the Mighty Nien.

And as an ever more aside aside, anyone see Escape from the Bloodkeep, with Mat Mercer as a player instead of a DM? The trailer looked interesting to me, and the first episode has been put on youtube.

xWillxPx

Validated User
It's also worth noting that Travis is very open about disinterest in "learning the game" - he would be "legitimately boggled" by anything, for him as a player the shock and reaction being 100% real is part of the juice (as is his trust in Matt).

As a DM, I would do what Matt did, because it wasn't in a dangerous situation - now if tonight Travis says "eldritch blast" and Matt responds, "nothing happens" that's different. In fact, I thought it was way more questionable DMing when he rolled a save for "turn Undead", explicitly told the players the creature failed it's save, and then on the monsters turn revealed it wasn't undead. NPCs lie, and PC knowledge can be tied to die rolls, but the referee/narrator has to be truthful.

Now, with that being said, it's defintely best practices to have a plan in place that lets Travis keep Fjord without freeing Uka'Toa - providing a new patron or a chance to multiclass (with some narrative hand wave fpr the powers he keeps) seems like the best option.

As an aside, since the King that Crawls was mentioned as the god of slavers...was he mentioned at all when the gang went up against the Iron Shepherds? In particular, the guy they saw had a bit of a German accent and the Iron shepherds were working for a family called the Jagenthoths and that sounds kind of German and they had connections with Atvinka as well...and well it would make them a good overarching villain for the Mighty Nien.
"Manacles" have been popping up since the (regular) Gnolls - and always seemed like fore shadowing of a big ole bad, but could've been equally pointing towards the Strife Emperor or The Chained Oblivion, as far as I recall.

Dromio

Validated User
Yeah, it is the kind of thing I wouldn't do to a play and would be annoyed if a DM did it to me, and my read of the warlock is that patron more teaches you than empowers you (it is an arcane class instead of a divine one after all), but I have to admit it isn't bugging me too much while watching. Mostly I am curious where it will go because it is not like Fjord can get to the coast and get a ship and unlock the last seal real fast even if he wanted to.

And as an ever more aside aside, anyone see Escape from the Bloodkeep, with Mat Mercer as a player instead of a DM? The trailer looked interesting to me, and the first episode has been put on youtube.
The Dimension 20 stuff is pretty dang good; the DM is super. In both the original season and Bloodkeep the first episode is extended introductory scenes with each character; so the posted Bloodkeep episode is not a lot of Matt. From episode 2 on though I would think it'll be more group play in Bloodkeep.

Both are absolutely more comedic takes on D&D, they are CollegeHumor after all. But the gaming is good, the players are good, and the improv is good. The first season was totally worth watching and I'm confident Bloodkeep will be similar.

junglefowl26

Validated User
Now, with that being said, it's defintely best practices to have a plan in place that lets Travis keep Fjord without freeing Uka'Toa - providing a new patron or a chance to multiclass (with some narrative hand wave fpr the powers he keeps) seems like the best option.
If I remember correctly, there has been some discussion about Fjord multiclassing to paladin. Technically he doesn't have the strength score for that, but that seems like the kind of thing Matt would be willing to handwave given a compelling reason for Fjord to become one.

I have also seen some speculation of him becoming a celestial warlock of the Luxon based on his questions last episode - though I had the impression that he was trying to figure out if the date for the meeting at the Overcrow would take place when it was sunny.

"Manacles" have been popping up since the (regular) Gnolls - and always seemed like fore shadowing of a big ole bad, but could've been equally pointing towards the Strife Emperor or The Chained Oblivion, as far as I recall.
Well, a lot of those just seemed practical - I mean, how else do you keep people and monster critical - but yeah it does seem to create an interesting theme of subjugation and exploitation.

And yeah, I can see how chains would be associated with them as well. (Come to think of it, I guess it still isn't 100% confirmed the Crawling King is behind this, demons don't seem his style exactly, and it is a bit weird for blue robe to be reading up on his own god like that...)

The Dimension 20 stuff is pretty dang good; the DM is super. In both the original season and Bloodkeep the first episode is extended introductory scenes with each character; so the posted Bloodkeep episode is not a lot of Matt. From episode 2 on though I would think it'll be more group play in Bloodkeep.

Both are absolutely more comedic takes on D&D, they are CollegeHumor after all. But the gaming is good, the players are good, and the improv is good. The first season was totally worth watching and I'm confident Bloodkeep will be similar.
Ah, thanks for the recomendation, I will definitely check it out when I have time

Top Bottom