• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Critical Role Campaign 2 - D&D, nerdy-ass voice actors and Wild(mount) Times

randlathor66

Validated User
Or they could have stuck the silence spell on one of themselves, and that person just stand next to the sarcophagus - I assume if the sound of the incantation doesn't reach the target, it won't work. (Not 100%, sure, but certainly easier to try than flying after someone who is a natural flyer.) Or, stick it on an arrow/bolt and use what you can to make sure you hit Oban... again, not perfect. I think the first one is better, as it would make him come to them. But ultimately, as I said up thread, they are seriously feeling the effects of not having any ranged combatants. Heck, why don't the few semi-fighter types and the one fighter type have secondary ranged weapons? Come on. I know its D&D, but you cannot expect to use your bestest attack every round. Have back ups and attacks to cover other types of attacks.

Rel Fexive

Terrifying Space Monkey
Validated User
Some random thoughts:
-Interesting thing about Yasha's flashback at the end is that it sounds like she and Oban were genuinely friends. And given some of the other things said about this little cult about being a home for the lost and unwanted...they kind of seem like an evil version of the Mighty Nein.
-Also, I have seen some interesting discussions about how odd it was that the circus Yasha and Molly were a part of had two amnesiac cultists in it, a play referencing Ukatoa and his siblings, a Xorhashian fiend, and an owner who seems oddly guilty and willing to be punished....
-And on that note, Lucian's group broke off from a larger cult. Would it be too neat to have that older, larger cult be the angel of irons group?
-If so, then it would be really too neat and tidy to have blondie be a Jagentoth (the family that the Iron Sheperds worked for, and who were helping Ativanka find the cloven crystals)
-Cad wants to go to the Greying Wildlands, and they are pretty close to the north shore looking at the map, but I don't remember any ships or ports being mentioned.
It's tempting to link everything up, but I think it stretches credulity a little too far to do so.

Spoiler: Show
Oh sure, I think they got through the last door before him and he took the opportunity when he could, but I think he made it up to that door before they did.

As for the obstacles stopping him because of his fiendish nature...possibly, though he is part of a whole organization with members from all over, so I think he or at least someone else in the group could have gotten through eventually.

I guess I just don't like some takes I have seen online that this is all the M9's fault and that they shouldn't have gone. If they didn't chase Oban, I bet he and the Laughing Hand would still have been threats at a later date, like how in the last campaign Vox Machina didn't follow up on the Chroma Conclave after Brimscythe, or the Vecna cult after overthrowing the Briarwoods, allowing those villains to strike at full power
He clearly made it to the door first but likely hadn't figured it out by the time the Nein arrived, or he'd have been in there doing his ritual already. The Nein had already been assuming he was ahead of them as it was.

Oban's meeting (which the Nein interrupted) was to get the token required to open the entrance, so it was already his plan to go there and release the Laughing Hand. The Nein helped, but only with opening the last chamber which he probably would've got open by himself in time anyway. Only stopping Oban leaving the city, or preventing the ritual from being completed, would have prevented the Hand being released. They are not to blame, but that won't stop them feeling responsible.

Manitou

Emperor of the Americas
Validated User
OH, don't know if any one watches the full Travis's Yee Hah! Game Ranch other than what's in the breaks for the show, but does anyone else want rules for Downlords?[Bast'Alar Patron Warlock's]
It would be somewhat amusing if the M9 met the bad Kitty back when he was mearly a good[celestial?] familiar.
Perhaps their master could be working on a "realmshift" spell which would allow them to alter the past with producing paradox's and wiping themselves out, or driving themselves mad.

Last edited:

junglefowl26

Validated User
Woof, that was a big one. Some random thoughts
-I have a feeling that Jester may regret changing travelercon from a tropical island to a volcano. It will be a hilarious disaster though, I am sure
-I feel sorry for the poor lonely old gnoll though, could he make the journey? ...come to think of it, could have made it to the island. I wonder if Xhorhas has any ports and maritime traffic...
-Others have described it in much better length and depth, but I must express my amusement after all the panicking about how the dynasty was going to punish them, they get a lot of praise instead. Also kind of funny that their big contribution was some military info they just stumbled upon while investigating the demon portals
-Though to be honest I am surprised it was so successful. It wasn't very specific about when and how the attack would take place, it mostly just warned an attack was coming, which was to be expected in wartime.
-Really interesting that the Scourger knew who Bren was despite not being one of his friends. I am surprised Astrid would talk about him to the others - maybe he is some cautionary tale about weakness in the face of duty? In any case, the "welcome back" was very ominious even though I am not sure what it meant, and Caleb got one hell of a retort in his last statement there.
-Also, are all Scourgers Zemnians or something? Must be a lot of accidental family deaths in the Zemni Fields ;p
-I wonder if the Dust and Stone clans are also firbolgs or if they are other races. And if there is any connection between the Kiln and the elf-dwarf city we keep hearing about.

It's tempting to link everything up, but I think it stretches credulity a little too far to do so.
True. Usually I am on the other end of such speculation...it was just very tempting with just a few links need to connect so much.

He clearly made it to the door first but likely hadn't figured it out by the time the Nein arrived, or he'd have been in there doing his ritual already. The Nein had already been assuming he was ahead of them as it was.

Oban's meeting (which the Nein interrupted) was to get the token required to open the entrance, so it was already his plan to go there and release the Laughing Hand. The Nein helped, but only with opening the last chamber which he probably would've got open by himself in time anyway. Only stopping Oban leaving the city, or preventing the ritual from being completed, would have prevented the Hand being released. They are not to blame, but that won't stop them feeling responsible.
Sorry, meant to respond sooner, and now the new episode has largely covered this. Still, spot on analysis.

So, love the Clay Lore Drops in this episode.
Me too.

For a while I thought he was assuming these locations were important to his religion because of the visions, but it turns out he actually knows a fair bit about them though.
Not their locations or names though, even though the families do pilgrimages between the locations. Hmmmm....I wonder if Cad's education and training wasn't finished before the rest of his family went off on the quest before them

Last edited:
Top Bottom