• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Criticism that misses the point

Mark D. Eddy

It's Twagic.
Validated User
So I used it correctly?
Possibly. I'm a bit leery of using a US Census classification on someone who, as far as I can recall, was never in the United States or a US citizen. But the person who called Johnny "a Hispanic with some Asian ancestry" was badly off. (Especially when, in the book, his family never lived in Buenos Aires -- his mother was travelling there on business when it got "smeared," again based on memories of the book that may be off....)

MABfan11

Validated User
if you want to see reviews that misses the point, read pretty much any negative MAL review, 9/10 they miss the point

BethDragon

professionally dissatisfied
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
This thread.

Moderator Text:

And you get to leave the thread.

books-to-the-sky

Validated User
Oh, and "Hispanic" is a cultural classification. A Tagalog-speaking Filipino named "Juan Rico" is a Hispanic, and an Asian.
Who in heaven's name is going around classifying Filipinos as Hispanic? From a Hispanized culture, yes, sure. But Hispanic?? I mean I'm not an expert on how Filipino-Americans self-identify, but I would be genuinely astonished to learn that any of my Filipino relatives in the U.S. checked the "Hispanic or Latino" box on a questionnaire. And if you asked the man on the street in Manila whether he was Hispanic you would probably get a blank stare. (I suppose I'm willing to believe that some Fil-Americans might check the "Hispanic" box, but I'd definitely find it a surprising choice and would be interested to hear their reasoning.)

Spanish colonization left an indelible stamp on Filipino culture, but I just can't get past the fact that 99.994% of Filipinos don't speak Spanish at all. We were at the ass end of the empire; they never bothered to teach us! A Mexican can speak with a Puerto Rican who can speak with a Dominican who can speak with an Argentinian in Spanish, but Filipinos can't do that. We're like a branch that diverged from the family tree 120 years ago and hasn't spoken a word to the rest of the family ever since. (Thinking about it, it's possible that in 1959 it was more likely that Filipinos might have been seen as, and seen themselves as, "Hispanic," since the last generation to grow up under Spanish rule was still alive back then.)

camk4evr

Validated User
Minor correction; Rico ends up in the MI because he is utterly unqualified for any of his preferred selections, up to and including the K-9 corps. The MI is where the dumb grunts go.
And, f I remember correctly (I don't even know if I still have my copy of the book), Rico also did too poorly in school (I believe it was just because he didn't make the effortnot because he was stupid) to go to college or university so his only way to get a franchise was through military service.

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
And, f I remember correctly (I don't even know if I still have my copy of the book), Rico also did too poorly in school (I believe it was just because he didn't make the effortnot because he was stupid) to go to college or university so his only way to get a franchise was through military service.
Going to college or university wouldn't get a franchise. That was never an option. (Not bothering to get a franchise, of course, was definitely an option.)

Top Bottom