• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Criticism that misses the point

Taraqual

Words words words
Validated User
I think there was heavy unmarked sarcasm in the post.
Sarcasm? From Rose Embolism? Sir, how very dare you.

And I agree with the point she was making, but also that it's pretty complicated. Because the idea in a fair and equitable society is that this should lead to more leisure and reduce our need to work all the time in order to survive. But of course, it just further imbalances the dynamic between owners of capital and workers.

Stupid Made Up Name

David
RPGnet Member
Validated User
But the person who called Johnny "a Hispanic with some Asian ancestry" was badly off. (Especially when, in the book, his family never lived in Buenos Aires -- his mother was travelling there on business when it got "smeared," again based on memories of the book that may be off....)
I searched the thread and found no-one calling him that.

I did say he was "from Argentina", so that would be my mistake. In the film, he is.

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
Bit of a spoiler here - not that it matters, but for the sake of it, don't read if you don't want to spoil Spider-Man: Far From Home.

Spoiler: Show
I recently read a comment on a think piece, otherwise unrelated to said comment, that claimed to be weirded out because of the unintentional conservative slant in Marvel recently.

Why? Because both Spider-Man antagonists were blue collar workers screwed over by Stark.

Both movies. Including the latter one.

You know, because the lead of a project researching highly advanced holograms who threw a tantrum because Tony wanted to use it for therapeutic purposes and nicknamed it BARF due to his own self-loathing, then recruited ex-henchmen of the guy who wanted Stark Industries to return to being an utterly amoral arms dealers who felt upset by not being able to provoke a war to sell to both sides is such a champion of the common man. Especially when he's coded as a movie director and an intellectual snob.

All I could think was what blue-collar workers have you met recently, and how can I avoid them?
I don't really see most of these guys as blue collars. As an engineer, Mysterio is more purple collar, even though that term isn't used all that frequently.

Leliel

SJ Road Warrior
Validated User
I don't really see most of these guys as blue collars. As an engineer, Mysterio is more purple collar, even though that term isn't used all that frequently.
Exactly my point. If you're holding up Mysterio, King of the Techbros, as an example of a working-class average Joe lashing out against the Man, I suspect your main problem with the Man is the Man banned your account from Twitter for being racist.

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
Exactly my point. If you're holding up Mysterio, King of the Techbros, as an example of a working-class average Joe lashing out against the Man, I suspect your main problem with the Man is the Man banned your account from Twitter for being racist.
I totally forgot the thread I was in for a moment! We are on the same page.

The Vulture is more of a working-class man, as he does a lot of physical labour and also does the raids himself (as opposed to sitting back while his underlings take the risk). However, his backstory is also being put out of a job by some corporate guy (Stark) who doesn't even realise that he just put several people, if not families, in jeopardy. I mean, a bunch of suits coming in, handing you a paper and going "You are out of a job? We are really sorry you feel that way." isn't exactly conservative bias.

Tyrmatfrage

Validated User
Not exactly what this thread was looking for but I was browsing customer reviews for a local restaurant and I came across a 3/5 star review that read “have not eaten there but it looks very nice from the outside.” Just.... why? Why are you wasting your own and everyone else’s time?

Davies

Validated User
Not exactly what this thread was looking for but I was browsing customer reviews for a local restaurant and I came across a 3/5 star review that read “have not eaten there but it looks very nice from the outside.” Just.... why? Why are you wasting your own and everyone else’s time?
Because opinions are like assholes -- everybody has one, and some people just can't help but show them off in public.

Leliel

SJ Road Warrior
Validated User
Anything that involves Captain Marvel and whining that the Skrulls aren't like the comics, having jettisoned the whole thing for a major twist.

You know...the reason why it's a twist.

Last edited:
Top Bottom