• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Criticism that misses the point

Olof Jönsson

Tumto Lectis
Validated User
Personally, I love the MCU Skrulls. Their whole comics history is so weird. Like...they were the nice, peaceful ones of the two uplifted species. Why are they constantly being shown as the deceitful, cowardly warlike ones? Shouldn't that be the Kree all along? The ones who stabbed their uplifters in the back when they didn't get the gold medal on the science project? And the MCU went "You know...that's kind of a good point. Let's go with that, Skrulls have their flaws and stuff but they didn't start this shit and they don't much like doing it. Whereas the Kree are fascist xenophobes."

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Personally, I love the MCU Skrulls. Their whole comics history is so weird. Like...they were the nice, peaceful ones of the two uplifted species.
Nicer and peaceful after the genocides the other branches of their own race.

And who did they uplift?
They had contest to uplift either the Kree or Hala's other species (who's name escapes me), but they got murdered by Kree, after the blue meenies lost.
Then the Kree uplifted themselves using Skrull Technology.

SunlessNick

Mildly Darkened One
Validated User
Silvercat Moonpaw reminded me of one I've seen from time to time:
Quicksilver survives Age of Ultron, but no one can figure out quite what to do with him thereafter and he's unceremoneously killed in Infinity War to much the same reaction (but without all the "he could have easily dodged that" arguments).
He wasn't trying to dodge - he was taking a bullet.

Chucky

Chupa-thingy
Validated User
Silvercat Moonpaw reminded me of one I've seen from time to time:
He wasn't trying to dodge - he was taking a bullet.
Yes but he was taking a bullet because the writers decided this time he wasn't fast enough to dodge them, because they needed drama.

Rachel Cartacos

Social Justice Dragon
Validated User
Well he was pushing Hawkeye and the kid out of the way, and the gun being fired was some kind of rotary cannon which do typically have faster muzzle velocities than the mostly pistols we seem him dodging up until then.

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
Nicer and peaceful after the genocides the other branches of their own race.

And who did they uplift?
They had contest to uplift either the Kree or Hala's other species (who's name escapes me), but they got murdered by Kree, after the blue meenies lost.
Then the Kree uplifted themselves using Skrull Technology.
And why did the Skrulls decide they would only uplift one of the two sapient species? How cruel was it to tell the Kree and Cotati that in the first place? It's on par with the Watchers literally handing nuclear tech over to some aliens and leaving, and having the gall to be surprised at the results.

SunlessNick

Mildly Darkened One
Validated User
Yes but he was taking a bullet because the writers decided this time he wasn't fast enough to dodge them, because they needed drama.
He deliberately ran into their path is the point. It was a self-sacrifice moment.

Taraqual

Words words words
Validated User
He deliberately ran into their path is the point. It was a self-sacrifice moment.
Which, for those paying attention, is kind of a theme, especially in the Avengers movies, especially for Whedon (but also the Russos). As Steve Rogers said to Tony Stark, "You're not the guy to make the sacrifice play, to lay down on a wire and let the other guy crawl over you."

And Tony, at the time, proves he's not by trying to think of a way out without sacrifice. His big arc in the first Avengers is to realize why sometimes you gotta make the sacrifice play. We see big and small acts of heroism in AoU, and Quicksilver knows he either can dodge the bullet or he can save Hawkeye and the kid. He makes the sacrifice. And on, and on.

Now there's someone whose comic-book resurrection would piss off a lot of people, because it would feel unjustified and no one really wanted it.

austenandrews

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Now there's someone whose comic-book resurrection would piss off a lot of people, because it would feel unjustified and no one really wanted it.
Speak for yourself. I was bummed that Whedon's obsession with killing a character in every story eliminated one of my childhood favorites. Also he was the better of the two Quicksilvers we got onscreen.

Chucky

Chupa-thingy
Validated User
Yes and for a lot of people it came across exactly like the self sacrifice moment at the end of Fallout 3, if you were actually playing the super mutant sidekick and somehow still died of radiation poisoning.

Top Bottom