• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Criticism that misses the point

SunlessNick

Mildly Darkened One
Validated User
Yes and for a lot of people it came across exactly like the self sacrifice moment at the end of Fallout 3, if you were actually playing the super mutant sidekick and somehow still died of radiation poisoning.
And those people were missing the point. He didn't have to dodge the bullets at all because he wasn't in their path - he ran into their path in order to take the hit for others, and was fast enough to do that before the bullets could reach their targets.

Taraqual

Words words words
Validated User
Speak for yourself. I was bummed that Whedon's obsession with killing a character in every story eliminated one of my childhood favorites. Also he was the better of the two Quicksilvers we got onscreen.
The Russos have killed a fair number of characters on-screen, too, including a character who I'd argue is far more interesting and important to Marvel than Quicksilver was (in either version). Is it okay with them because they're not named Joss Whedon?

dmjalund

Polychromatic Pikathulhu
Validated User
I think he was fast enough to slap the bullets out of the way. Would have burned his hands tho

austenandrews

RPGnet Member
Validated User
The Russos have killed a fair number of characters on-screen, too, including a character who I'd argue is far more interesting and important to Marvel than Quicksilver was (in either version). Is it okay with them because they're not named Joss Whedon?
Nope, they don't get a pass.

Wasn't he fast enough to pick up the targets and move them out of the way?
Right, I saw it that he pushed them out of the way, behind an overturned car IIRC. I'd say there's an argument that he should have also avoided the bullets, but it seems fair enough for a sacrifice play. I guess it was the only way to reach them in time.

JoeNotCharles

Validated User
Wasn't he fast enough to pick up the targets and move them out of the way?
I mean, clearly not, otherwise that's what would have happened. I always read that scene as being that he was fast enough to get out of the way of bullets, or to get INTO the way of bullets, but ducking in front of the bullets, picking someone up, and then ducking out again was too much. Especially since he only has super speed and not super strength, so he would have had to be able to life Hawkeye's weight.

Overly Sarcastic Productions has a youtube video on Plot Twists that makes an argument for why Quicksilver's death was a really bad plot twist. (I'm not going to link to it because it spoils EVERYTHING - it opens with a page long list of media properties it spoils. It's easy to find by searching youtube.) They include "he should have been fast enough to dodge those so it doesn't make any physical sense", which is annoying. But they also include a bunch of other reasons that I agree with more. Including some in-depth stuff about wasted potential that I hadn't thought about before - there are a lot of story elements in the followup movies that were good, but would be even better with him there. What if he ended up on the other side of Civil War from Wanda? What if she got snapped but he didn't, so when she came back there was a 5 year age difference between them? Etc.

Tyrmatfrage

Validated User
Honestly, considering how much difficulty the Russos were having dealing with Vision's power level in Civil War, I strongly suspect they're glad Whedon had killed Quicksilver off.

Rachel Cartacos

Social Justice Dragon
Validated User
He didn't pick up anyone, he shoved them out of the way. No reason why he couldn't still have done that and dodged. (Assuming he was fast enough to dodge the bullets at all of course)

Taraqual

Words words words
Validated User
He didn't pick up anyone, he shoved them out of the way. No reason why he couldn't still have done that and dodged. (Assuming he was fast enough to dodge the bullets at all of course)
Without badly hurting or killing the people he was saving? He was doing serious damage to robots by hitting them at full speed. Assuming he didn’t want to jack up the people he was saving, he had to slow down a bit.

I guess maybe it’s because I never liked Quicksilver in the comics, but I’m always surprised to hear people were upset that cypher of a character in the movie was given a better death than earned by the script.

Top Bottom