• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Criticism that misses the point

Dave999

Validated User
My lesson of Evangelion is, "Most of this show is just stuff that looks cool and what if child soldiers in mecha shows were miserable."

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yea, one "lesson" of Evangelion, if you think about it, is basically "we are all winging it, kid". Some are winging it trying to pretend to be mature and functional human beings, some are winging it trying to be incredibly masterminds pulling some schemes of global domination, but everybody is winging it and dealing with their frustrations, needs, hangups and all that as best or worst as they can.
Pretty much.

I find darkly amusing how effective SEELE's scary "NO SOUND" monoliths are. They even got me, first time through the series, until I stopped to think about it. When you can't see past the hologram, it's easy to assume that the person on the other side knows what they're doing…

Dave999

Validated User
Gundam isn't a mecha parody or deconstruction, the mecha genre can just be dark sometimes.
Technically, it was the creator of the "Real Robot" genre which is based around the idea, "What if giant robots were just tools and not magical buddies." A lot of original Gundam is a reversal of previous series where the heroic boy would fight aliens in his sentient robot.

Rachel Cartacos

Social Justice Dragon
Validated User
Well I always thought the real 'point' of Evangelion was 'Dealing with other people hurts sometimes, but it's better for you to actually do it anyway'

Vorpeseda

Floof
Validated User
The suggestion that you could be unstoppable in the Pokemon world by simply punching everyone instead of doing Pokemon battles.

Apparently forgetting that it would mean having to personally fight through their Pokemon, which tend to have power far beyond a human.

Top Bottom