• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

Critique these classes for a 5e mythic Greece setting

randomgamer8466

Validated User
I've got the bug to do an ancient Greek setting. I'm not the best at "gaming math" and so I'm cautious of ever messing with the rules. It's hard for me to guess what is "balanced" until I see it in play. I'd like these three character paths to be neither grossly overpowered or exploitable nor grossly suboptimal. I'd love to read your thoughts.

The Hoplite:
I know the hoplite is anachronistic to Greece's mythic age but I think in most people's minds this is the iconic Greek fighter, so I'd like to include it in the setting. I intend to nod to both the historical strength of hoplite phalanxes as amazing holders of the line, and also to the outlandish hoplites of action epics like 300.

the hoplite is a path for the Fighter

Agoge Training
At third level, you learn to use the Dory (pike) as a one handed weapon and grant your shield bonus to any adjacent ally.

Wall of Bronze
At seventh level, while you are wielding a dory (pike), other creatures provoke an attack of opportunity when they enter the reach that you have with that weapon. If you hit a creature with an opportunity attack, its speed becomes zero for the rest of the turn. You have advantage on rolls to avoid being shoved.

Fight in the Shade
At 10th level, when you are targeted by more than one missile attack in a single turn,each ranged attack after the first has a cumulative -2 to hit. You may use a dory, short sword, or a shield (1d6 damage) as a missile weapon with a range of 20/60.

With it or on it
At 15th level, you may use a bonus action to shield bash as an off-hand attack for 1d6 damage plus a Shove attempt.

18th level... I really don't know. Let's hold level 18 open for some power that I've already mentioned that will be found to be OP for the level I've listed it.

next, the Genius. Or the Inventor. haven't nailed down the terminology. But this is your basic Daedalus/ Archimedes type.

The Genius should be a new path for the Wizard, I think.

Ingenious device
[Fluff]It should be highly reliant on material components and would only be able to use spells that the player is able to describe as a wacky or ingenious device. So Shocking Grasp or Spider Climb might be easier to justify than False Life or Charm Person, but I wouldn't write a rule limiting this as long as spell choices make sense to the player and DM. "memorizing spells" translates to picking out which ingenious devices you will tinker together during your rest to use the next day.

As their main path feature, I want to give Geniuses access to minions. They should be able to command constructs in battle, including animated objects and Modrons! Yes, Modrons. I've always thought --don't get mad -- that Modrons were one of the dumbest monsters in D&D but here is finally a place for them: as the lovable, dorky, bumbling companions of mad scientists. I think they could also make use of Clockworks from Mordenkainen's foes, but that book won't arrive til Tuesday.

I could model the robotic minions after either the Ranger's Animal Companion (although I'd like Geniuses to be able to upgrade to better types of modrons as they advance) or just to give them a variation of Conjure Animals/Fey/Elementals that would be an attractive option to fireball.

I came up with this class without even glancing at the Artificer, so I don't know if that's a better model.

For the third class I was thinking of a Wayfarer or Wanderer in the tradition of Jason or Odysseus or any protagonist in a Ray Harryhausen movie. I had this thought that it could be the first ever Path that you could enter as either a Fighter, Ranger, Bard, or Rogue. But maybe that's going off the deep end and this should just be a Feat.

Wanderer Feat: You gain proficiency in two of the following skills: Acrobatics, Deception, Persuasion, or Proficiency with ships and boats, and one bonus language. You may use a Charm Person spell on one creature. The target of the spell need not be humanoid but it must be a being that could plausibly fall in love with a member of your character's species and gender (at the DM's discretion) and its duration may last considerably longer than 1 hour. (at the DM's discretion) Once this power has been used, it cannot be used again until the character arrives in a new location, such as by sailing to another island.

It's crossed my mind to do a Greek mythology sorceress who was more focused on aggressive polymorphs and enchantment spells than on lightning bolts and raising the dead, but I think that could be handled at the spell selection level.

Is there anything else from Greek mythology that you'd like to see as character options not handled by the PHB?

zanshin

Validated User
I like what you have done.

Perhaps something like ‘The Way of Olympus’ as a monk path ,seeking Arête and athletic accomplishment. There are some theories that Alexander’s soldiers brought Pankration to the East and influenced Indian martial arts.

The Genius seems like a fun re-skin of a Wizard but, with all do respect, I do not see how relying on your pet robot (modron, whatever in combat is very much in the flavor of greek mythology or dnd in general.

WistfulD

Validated User
I think, rather than using this fighter archetype, I think perhaps the solution I would use would be to tweak the weapons and armor table, and perhaps how long spear and large shield combat works in general, to work better with the setting. This quick fix raise entirely too many questions (like whether you now use dueling or gwf fighting style with your dory, whether GWM or PAM etc. work with it, and the like. My suggestion might be to make a new weapon, the longspear (d8, versatile d10, reach, non-throwable), and a specialized shield called the aspis which grants additional AC vs arrows.

And I agree, I do not know what the genius class is doing in this setting.

randomgamer8466

Validated User
I’m assuming the genius is to bring in some Clash of the Titans mechanical owl stuff?
The Genius is based on a couple of Greek inventors, mostly Daedalus but also Archimedes (Archimedes was real but some of his inventions, like the solar mirror death ray, were arguably legend). My plan is for them to cast "spells" which are devices like wax wings for Fly.

Daedalus even built a combat robot: Talos, the likely inspiration for the bronze golem. Granted, Talos is too huge to take along on a dungeon crawl but I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think that a Daedalus type character could build a smaller robot as a bodyguard. or a little owl spy (Wizard Eye or Clairvoyance?) Like Clash of the Titans, I'd like this setting to have the flavor of Greek myths but feel free to color outside the lines of what's actually in Greek myths.

Hephaestus has a couple of little physical therapy robots to help him walk, but that's a little further from my concept. I'm thinking either something like the ranger's animal companions or just allowing the Genius to use constructs like Conjure Animals, etc.

WistfulD

Validated User
Daedalus even built a combat robot: Talos, the likely inspiration for the bronze golem.
Daedalus was never associated with the creation of Talos. Talos was alternately stated to be something Hephaestus and the Cyclopes made and gave to Minos, or a gift from Zeus to Europa.

randomgamer8466

Validated User
Oh. Huh. I always thought Talos was Daedalus', probably because of his association with Crete. Hmm. Well, if he wasn't a roboteer... is there any good way to do a Daedalus type in D&D?

WistfulD

Validated User
Sure. Artificer works, refluff a wizard to declare their spells to be "inventions," magic item crafting is a little more hand-wavy than some editions, but magic item maker works. Or of course, just a knowledge-centric character (be they rogue, lore bard, knowledge domain cleric, or anything else).

Top Bottom