• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

Critique these classes for a 5e mythic Greece setting

WistfulD

Validated User
Frankly, those are a little better for a PC 'class feature ally' than a friggin' multi-story bronze golem anyways. Still, if you were to say you were making a ancient Greece-inspired setting, "hoplite" would be in my top 3-4 ideas. 'Daedalus-inspired builder of battlebots' would be... maybe somewhere. How about an Orpheus-inspired bard or Circe-inspired sorceress (which might actually be a wizard archetype) as well?

randomgamer8466

Validated User
yeah, I'd like the setting to include Orpheus-bards and Medea-sorceresses. I didn't suggest any new mechanics because it seemed like Orpheus and Medea could be made pretty well as a Bard and a Sorceress from the PHB.

But now you've got me thinking about what differentiates Orpheus from D&D bards. He's clearly an inspiration for the class. earlier editions gave the Bard the ability to counteract sound-based attacks from foes, which seems like it's inspired by his protecting the Argonauts from the Sirens' song. Orpheus' music was supposed to be able to move stones and trees, so maybe some elemental control? Other than that Orpheus' main ability seems to have been a Charm effect with a pretty high DC -- Ovid says he affected Cerberus and Persephone (he makes it seem like Hades only gives him Euridice because of Persephone's plea, so we must assume that Hades made his save, if indeed Hades needs to make saves).

What's a Greek sorceress like? They don't throw fireballs. Circe can do Polymorph Other, Calypso has Charm Person and maybe some ability to distort a person's perception of time. Medea has a Sleep spell strong enough to put down a dragon. She's very good at poisoning and deceiving people, too, so maybe she's a sorceress/assassin? But then she flies away in a chariot pulled by dragons. Maybe she's a Warlock with a Pact with Hekate! Want to suggest a class feature for a mythic sorcerer? Or do you think the regular D&D classes have it covered?

kenco

Validated User
Is there anything else from Greek mythology that you'd like to see as character options not handled by the PHB?
Centaur PC?

Could you put some element in about divine blood for PCs, so players can be demigods as a basic game feature? Relations with and among the Olympians generally?

The role of prophecy seems very prominent in Greek myth; I guess it's probably an NPC function, though.

I suspect a key part of your project is about which elements NOT to use, rather than which to add. ;)

randomgamer8466

Validated User
Great questions, Kenco. I plan to start another thread on races for this setting, and I'll have to address the tough issue of demigods too. I'll see you there!

randomgamer8466

Validated User
Neat! but I don't like it. They renamed all the city-states and included dwarves and orcs. They made the Egyptians into Dark Elves which is in questionable taste. I have a different vision of fantasy Greece.

randomgamer8466

Validated User
I'm not dead-set against elves; wood elves could be some sort of dryad or other nature spirit.

They did mention a monk, which seemed at first pretty much out of place, but I could see (as somebody mentioned upthread) a monk who uses pankration, Greco-roman wrestling or boxing. But I don't have any great ideas for mechanics. Hmm, I wonder if I could do a monk that brings in barbarian features.

Of course, by definition, no Greek can be a barbarian.

WistfulD

Validated User
Of course, by definition, no Greek can be a barbarian.
Just stipulating that yes, we caught this ref.

They did mention a monk, which seemed at first pretty much out of place, but I could see (as somebody mentioned upthread) a monk who uses pankration, Greco-roman wrestling or boxing. But I don't have any great ideas for mechanics. Hmm, I wonder if I could do a monk that brings in barbarian features.
Relatively unarmored dude who wrestles a lot could be done by refluffing monk, making a monk archetype, making a barbarian archetype, or making a rebuild of fighter or barbarian with some features exchanged for unarmed combat boosts (or just take the grappler feat). Really the biggest part about monk that doesn't work for the greak version is that I see pankration, greco-roman wrestling or boxing types as at least as much Str-based as Dex-based, and not particularly Wis-based. Perhaps a monk who uses barbarian AC, and otherwise Str where monks use Wis?

Top Bottom