• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

Critique these classes for a 5e mythic Greece setting

WistfulD

Validated User
What would you think about a Barbarian who gets Monk unarmed attacks and the Grappler feat as a path feature?
Acceptable, but cludgy. In particular, paths come online at level 3, which is fine for the existing paths because you go from bruiser that hits things hard to bruiser that hits things hard with specific perks. This is fundamentally changing what you do with your character. Do you want to wait until level 3 to start reasonably fighting unarmed? And then at level 3, it sounds like you get both the benefits of a feat and unarmed attacks (admittedly, there's dis-synergy there) for a massive power spike (and finally getting to fulfill your character concept)... and then what for level 6, 10, and 14 features? Not saying it isn't a good basis to start with, only that more thought would need to go into it.

randomgamer8466

Validated User
Yeah, I had the same thought while driving. they really should have unarmed attacks from level 1, which means they need to be Monks, which mean they would benefit from a Dex/Wisdom build, while a Pankration guy (Pankrate? My Greek is not great) seems to be Strength primary. So i guess we are looking at a totally new class, or else at a Fighter or Barbarian who puts his weapons and armor away at 2nd or 3rd level when they adopt this class.

randomgamer8466

Validated User
OK, What about this: a pankratiast is a hybrid of Monk and Barbarian

at 1st level, a Pankratiast gets the Barbarian's d12 hit points and their version of Unarmored Defense (Con bonus to AC). They get the Monk's Martial Arts ability but cannot substitute Dex for Str when they attack (this means the Pank is not going to prioritize Dex and will end up having a worse AC than the Monk, offsetting their lovely large hit dice)

At 2nd level, the Pankratiast gets Ki ( he calls it Bia)and Reckless Attack

At 3rd level, he gets Open Hand Technique and maybe Deflect Missiles, what the heck.

At 4th level, ability score improvement

At 5th level, Extra Attack and Stunning Strike

At 6th level, choose the Grappler, Athlete, or Tough feat

At 7th level, Feral Instinct (ignoring the clause about raging) and Evasion

At 8th level, ability score boost

9th level: ???

10th level: ???

11th level: Relentless Rage

12th level: Ability bump

13th level: ??

OK, those upper levels might require a little more thought. A quick Wiki of pankration tells me they would do things like choke their opponents and maneuver them so that the sun is in their eyes but that sounds like I'd have to cobble together some mechanics of my own for that. This feels like a workable start, though.

Evil Scientist

Validated User
I dig the Monk/Barbarian hybrid, it sort of makes sense, mechanically. Perhaps the only thing that doesn't fit well is Rage. Maybe make it something Gladiator-like (I know, Rome...), that if there is a public, or if there is a competition, a trophy for victory, the Pankratiast can do an "Adrenalin Rush"?

How about calling the class simply "Athlete", and Pankratiast is a path to take?

A quick Wiki of pankration tells me they would do things like choke their opponents and maneuver them so that the sun is in their eyes but that sounds like I'd have to cobble together some mechanics of my own for that. This feels like a workable start, though.
I like that. Maybe something relatively simple, like "Dirty Stratagem": gain advantage on a single attack roll, or add you Wis bonus to the attack roll?

Have you started thinking about clerics? I feel that followers/initiates of mystery cults would work great!

Last edited:

zanshin

Validated User
OK, What about this: a pankratiast is a hybrid of Monk and Barbarian

at 1st level, a Pankratiast gets the Barbarian's d12 hit points and their version of Unarmored Defense (Con bonus to AC). They get the Monk's Martial Arts ability but cannot substitute Dex for Str when they attack (this means the Pank is not going to prioritize Dex and will end up having a worse AC than the Monk, offsetting their lovely large hit dice)

At 2nd level, the Pankratiast gets Ki ( he calls it Bia)and Reckless Attack

At 3rd level, he gets Open Hand Technique and maybe Deflect Missiles, what the heck.

At 4th level, ability score improvement

At 5th level, Extra Attack and Stunning Strike

At 6th level, choose the Grappler, Athlete, or Tough feat

At 7th level, Feral Instinct (ignoring the clause about raging) and Evasion

At 8th level, ability score boost

9th level: ???

10th level: ???

11th level: Relentless Rage

12th level: Ability bump

13th level: ??

OK, those upper levels might require a little more thought. A quick Wiki of pankration tells me they would do things like choke their opponents and maneuver them so that the sun is in their eyes but that sounds like I'd have to cobble together some mechanics of my own for that. This feels like a workable start, though.
I like - it fits well with the Pankratiast being strong and athletic.

They almost certainly did use vital point strikes - there is an account of one killing his opponent with a spearhand strike to the throat.

Maybe rethink the weapons available as Pankrataist weapons? Spear, staff and shortsword would all be logical

Outremer

Validated User
As someone has already suggested, the Maenad would be a very good hybrid of Barbarian and Monk. Maenads have the wildness and crazy strength of the Barbarian, but they fight with their bare hands, just like Monks.

A Hunter class would be very appropriate. There are many Greek myths about hunting dangerous animals and quite a few Greek heroes who're very good with the bow.

Priests... are a strange case. The gods play a major role in Greek myths, but I can't remember any character really similar to D&D priests. The closest we get - as far as I can tell - are diviners like the Pythia (who interpret the messages of the gods and predict the future) or witches like Medea (who perform rituals and offer sacrifices to the gods in order to work their magic, but are closer to D&D wizards). Religious ceremonies - such as sacrifice or dedication - are frequently performed by heroes/rulers who certainly don't spend most of their time on religious matters. (Being able to perform purification rituals seems to be somewhat rarer, but those who can are not necessarily more priestly. Circe, for instance, purifies Jason and Medea.)

Last edited:

randomgamer8466

Validated User
Outremer, do you see a hunter from Greek mythology as separate and distinct from a D&D ranger? Because if a regular ranger covers everything Orion or Atalanta can do, I'll save myself the trouble of penning a new class!

Top Bottom