• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

CROWD-FUNDING SPOTLIGHT - Role-Playing Games and Accessories

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackbyrnePublishing

Official One Man Show
Inspired by Matt James and his American Soldier project, I decided to use Kickstarter to get a project of my own up and running. I am working on two books for my Campaign Setting that my adventures are set in, one for GM's and one for players. As I said in my video, I have been doing all the work but I can't draw to save my life. Wanting to make this project more unique, I wanted to use specific art based on my setting, rather than finding art that "mostly fits" and having to alter my work to match. All I ask is that you have a look, and if you don't wish to participate, please at least pass the message along.

Sethra007

Super Moderator
RPGnet Member
KICKSTARTER SPOTLIGHT - Role-Playing Games and Accessories

HAVE A CROWD-SOURCED FUNDING PROJECT? PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING IN THIS THREAD

In the first six weeks of 2012, RPGs represented more than 1/3 of all successful game projects on the Kickstarter web site. RPGs successfully raised more than $100,000 in funding via Kickstarter. There's a renewed sense of energy in the RPG market, and we find that a lot of people are coming to these boards to promote their crowd-funded projects.

We want to help you promote! But that said, we have rules about those promotions:

1) This thread exists to promote RPG and war-gaming projects seeking crowd-sourced funding via Kickstarter, IndieAGoGo, and similar crowdfunding web sites. If you're offering RPGs, war-games, or RPG or war-game accessories (dice, maps, terrain, miniatures, etc.) through these sites, we'd love to learn about it.

2) There is a concurrent thread promoting Card and Board Games in the Other Games Open forum here. Again, if you're putting together a card game or board game via a crowd-sourced funding site like Kickstarter, we'd love to learn about it.

3) Projects not meeting the above criteria should be promoted in the Ads/Open Promo forum. This includes (but is not limited to):

-novels and other fiction works that may or may not incorporate RPG or war-game settings
-non-crowd-sourced RPG/war-game projects
-video games based on RPGs/war-games
-games developed for smartphones
-art books and art collections

...and so forth. Basically, if it's not something that the GM or the player would use for their game in the course of playing an RPG or war-game, it doesn't belong here.

4) Please do not start separate threads in TRO to promote your crowdfunding project. You are welcome to post in this thread if your project meets the guidelines stated so far, and members of the board are welcome to comment on your project in this thread. If your project generates a lot of discussion, let a mod know and we'll move the posts to a separate thread so people can talk about it.

5) Asking "Can I add my project to this thread?" and then adding all of your project info before you receive an answer is not going to be looked on favorably by the mod staff. We've already had a couple of people try to sneak in non-eligible projects this way, and it's not appreciated.

If you have other questions, please PM Sethra007.

RESOURCES FOR PEOPLE CONSIDERING CROWD-SOURCED FUNDED PROJECTS

From posters beasterbrook and Sleeper, we have a breakdown of what RPG.Netters like to see in a crowd-sourced RPG project:

1. Put "RPG" or "Roleplaying" in your title or blurb of your product. It makes it easier to find when searching.
  2. Open up your funding to people overseas.
  3. Split up your rewards into domestic and overseas and include shipping in the funding option.
  4. Tell me what your Kickstarter drive is about in the very first sentence. If it's a tabletop RPG, let me know. If it's set of physical dice made of unobtanium and unicorn horns, say that. If it's a supplement for Pathfinder or Synnibarr or some other established game, that needs to be mentioned. I need to know whether it's a tabletop RPG, whether it's standalone or a supplement (and to what), and a few words about the system and genre.
  5. Be very clear on the different reward levels. Sometimes it's hard to know what we're getting.
  6. "Never leave any money on the table". Some people may want you to fly out and run a game, and would be willing to spend $2000. But if you don't list it, they'll never pledge it.
  7. I like to perks that you can only get through project funding. Maybe only offer the hardcover to funders, release only in softcover versions after funding finished to the public (for example). Some people like extras as well, esp. dice and shirts.
  8. Do your sums, don't overreach, and be prepared. There's no point in doing stuff after you have listed a project; as soon as you go live the clock starts ticking. You need to be prepared, have a nice intelligent blurb set up, description of what it's all about etc. If it looks professional and well run you have a much better chance of gaining funders. You need to work out cost of producing your product, shipping and extras before you start your listing. You also need to work out how you are going to get there. If you're trying to raise a large amount of $, you need to be able to get enough funders at whatever level of funding to reach that goal.
  9. Have regular updates, progress reports, new art etc. Keep your funders engaged!
  10. Have some kind of download that explains your game further. A portion of the Setting section, say, or a few pages of the char-gen rules, or a print-and-play version of your board game. Anything that helps gamers understand what you're doing
  11. When some one comments or funds, thank them! It costs nothing and gives the funder a warm fuzzy glow.
  12. Have a realistic delivery time and keep it. This usually involves having the product complete before you start funding. If it's not, then it creates the impression that the project may never happen.
  13. Pack and ship the finished product carefully. There's no point in producing a product that looks great only to have it damaged in the post.
RECENTLY POSTED CROWDFUNDING PROJECTS

ROLE-PLAYING GAMES

Compact Heroes
Designer: Rob Waibel

I designed CH to be a fully functional role-playing game that includes all the core elements of traditional role-playing games (non-linear, character choices on advancement, never ending story, etc) that could fit in a pocket…Everything a person needs to play the game is included in the starter deck with the exception of a pen or pencil and one six-sided dice. Bags of dice, notebooks, 8.5"x11" books--none of that is needed.

Part-Time Gods
Designer: Eloy Lasanta
Publisher: Third Eye Games

Players will take on the role of normal, everyday people suddenly imbued with the divine Spark of a god. They must balance their mortal lives (friend, family, loved ones) with the pursuit of their godly existence (adventure, power, legend), constantly riding the line of losing what makes them human.

Resistance: Road to Liberation
Designer: Charles Wheaton

A table-top role-playing game (RPG) where you and your friends play resistance fighters during World War II. The current version of the game focuses solely on resistance movements in the Soviet Union. I want to expand the game to include resistance movements from all over the world.

The Soul Rend Campaign Setting and the TBR 20 System
Publisher: Troll Baked Goods

We plan to develop, playtest, and release our own D20 system supplement (TBR 20). Second, we intend to also release an entirely new Campaign Setting. The setting and system will be included together in one place, but our intention is to make the setting easily usable with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, D&D 3.5, or our new TBR 20 system. Once the development and playtesting has been finished, we intend to make both the rule system and the Campaign Setting available for free in PDF form. In addition, both will be available for purchase as a soft cover book.

The World of Mistrunner
Designer: Glenn Randall Buettner

The book contains complete rules using our own easy to use system. Chose from any of eleven starting races, customizing your character by the choice of individual skills as opposed to a restrictive class system. Weave magic any way your mind can imagine with our free style magic rules. Match wits with dozens of denizens of the spectral Mists. Explore the marvelous city of Wayfarers Way with a full city guide and detailed map.

ZEITGEIST Adventure Path Kickstarter Booster Project
Designer: Morrus

Welcome to the ZEITGEIST adventure path Kickstarter Booster Project. This is a great chance to contribute to a high-profile adventure path for D&D 4th Edition and for the PATHFINDER RPG, help ensure that it is as awesome as it can possibly be, and have a hand in creating the world.

ZEITGEIST: The Gears of Revolution is a thirteen-adventure series set in a world where a revolution of industry and philosophy threatens the old ways of magic and mysticism. Omens in the starry heavens warn that a new era is nigh, but its face is hidden beyond the steam and soot of the night sky. Occult fanatics and enlightened conspirators vie for control, but heroes who are wise enough to find the truth and brave enough to fight for it will find it is their hand that will turn the wheel of the new age.

ACCESSORIES

Star Wars MBPA Mystery Map
Designer: Matt Francella

The Mystery Map Tournament is a yearly SW miniautres event held at Gencon. Since Wizards of the coast ended its production of Star Wars miniatures and related projects, the online community of gamers have held the torch releasing their own virtual miniature sets, and printing up brand new maps that are designed for Star Wars miniatures.

This map will be released at the tournament at Gencon, and all people who back this project will either get their maps at Gencon, or we will ship them to you after the convention...The locations of the Map are Outlaw City and the Sinkhole World. Outlaw city is on a remote world where the laws are written with blasters. Sinkhole World is a planet where massive sinkholes cover the planet, and the natives of the planet live in these sinkholes.

Last edited:

BlackbyrnePublishing

Official One Man Show
Re: My Kickstarter Project

Just a BUMP and to ask that, even if you cannot participate, please help to spread the word about this via Facebook, Twitter or anywhere you like.

Thanks!

Elvish Lore

Hello!
Validated User
Re: Kickstarter Spotlight - Role-Playing Games and Accessories

This is an excellent compromise that will facilitate me being aware of these projects and spending money on them. Thanks for setting this up.

Extinction Burp

Sourpuss
Validated User

So, anyone who has a kickstarter should make a post to this thread for the time being?

Sethra007

Super Moderator
RPGnet Member

So, anyone who has a kickstarter should make a post to this thread for the time being?
If they wish to, YES!

EDIT: It goes without saying that the Kickstarter should be for a role-playing game or an accessory for a role-playing game (like dice or maps or something).

Last edited:

Saint&Sinner

Validated User

Bulldogs! Sci-Fi That Kicks Ass
Who could be desperate enough to sign his life away for five long years? Desperate enough to take a job hauling volatile and hazardous cargo to the most dangerous places in the galaxy? Planets where the very air is a corrosive acid. Planets where the locals might cut your throat just so they can turn you into a nice steak. Planets where petty thugs and warlords are engaged in constant running gun battles and you’re just as likely to catch a blaster shot in the skull as get a signed delivery manifest.

You are, that’s who. Welcome to Bulldogs!

Saint&Sinner

Validated User

Stealing Cthulhu

Stealing Cthulhu is my guide to Lovecraftian storytelling. Its central idea is: by stealing, adapting and combining Lovecraft's ideas, you can create scenarios that seem new and horrific.

The book is 175 pages and 30,000 words long (6 by 9 inches), with original art by Jennifer Rodgers. It is annotated throughout by Kenneth Hite, Gareth Hanrahan and Jason Morningstar. It's designed for use with any roleplaying system: Call of Cthulhu, Trail of Cthulhu, Nemesis, Cthulhu Dark or whatever you enjoy playing.

Saint&Sinner

Validated User

Does this still mean that threads that discuss these Kickstarter/IndieGoGo projects get moved to Ad/Promo?

Saint&Sinner

Validated User

Do: Pilgrims of the Flying Temple is a storytelling game about helping people and getting into trouble.

You tell the story of young travelers who mean well, but spend most of their time getting into trouble. You use your creativity and strategy to create a humorous coming of age story. It's like a comedic crossover between Avatar: the Last Airbender, the Little Prince and Kino's Journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom