• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

CROWD-FUNDING SPOTLIGHT - Role-Playing Games and Accessories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleeper

Red-eyed dust bunny
Validated User
I'd say the most important guideline is: Tell me what your Kickstarter drive is about in the very first sentence. If it's a tabletop RPG, let me know. If it's set of physical dice made of unobtanium and unicorn horns, say that. If it's a supplement for Pathfinder or Synnibarr or some other established game, that needs to be mentioned. I need to know whether it's a tabletop RPG, whether it's standalone or a supplement (and to what), and a few words about the system and genre. In fact, you should probably put this capulse information in multiple places, because people look at pages in different ways. Some read the main entry, some flip over and skim the tiers, some hit the play button and watch the video, and some skip to the updates to see what other people are saying.

I can't tell you how many times I've had to skim down through the whole listing, read the FAQ, look at the tiers, watch the video, and then go over to the update page -- only to find a tiny little mention somewhere that it's a tabletop RPG based on the v3.5 d20 system in the very last place I look. Worse, sometimes I do all that and I'm still not sure if the product is even a video or tabletop game. This is also true in many of the listings in this very thread.

Unclear tier levels are another specific example of this general trend.

Sethra007

Super Moderator
RPGnet Member
Re: Kickstarter Spotlight - Role-Playing Games and Accessories

re: Lions of the North
I have to agree.. I was trying to be a bit nicer about it ;)
<plaintive wail> I was trying to be nice!!! </plaintive wail>

...I believe that the "completeness" of the product relative to who you are though.. One of Wolfgangs (Kobold Quartely) funding projects, generally are a lot less complete and a lot more can be contributed by the funders.. but he has a lot of history behind him..
This is true. Someone with a proven track record (such as Kobold Quarterly) can definitely get away with putting an in-development project up on Kickstarter because people have dealt with him or her before, and know that they will deliver. But some random guy looking to get his RPG out the door? Absolutely not.

oh.. I think it might have been in the AGC Interview 12 (Crowdfunding Spotlight) (52:41) podcast the "Leave no money on the table" quote comes from.. Dave Mattingly says it..
Yeah, I thought I remembered him making that comment.

he still owes me some stuff from the Indigogo projects he was running at the time.. whip whip..
Hmmm...PM sent.

That was a good listen BTW

Brette:)
Thanks! It's an informative episode, if I do say so myself. ;)

Sethra007

Super Moderator
RPGnet Member
...I can't tell you how many times I've had to skim down through the whole listing, read the FAQ, look at the tiers, watch the video, and then go over to the update page -- only to find a tiny little mention somewhere that it's a tabletop RPG based on the v3.5 d20 system in the very last place I look. Worse, sometimes I do all that and I'm still not sure if the product is even a video or tabletop game. This is also true in many of the listings in this very thread.

OH MY GOD YES.

And since I don't get paid to re-write your project pitch, folks, I just cut-and-paste from the project page. So the verbage had better be where you want it!

Sleeper

Red-eyed dust bunny
Validated User
OH MY GOD YES.

And since I don't get paid to re-write your project pitch, folks, I just cut-and-paste from the project page. So the verbage had better be where you want it!
I try to provide single-sentence summary, so other people don't have to go through the same agonizing process.

But I shouldn't have to.

beasterbrook

Validated User
OH MY GOD YES.

Agreeded.. I only do "physical" RPG products..ROME - Anno Octavian was a bit like this.. what am I getting? its "Fantasy Grounds II virtual table top" (which I had no idea what it was and had to Google) sounded like some sort of computer product, but there was a PDF rules being done.. actually there is one on Indigogogo now that I'm a little unsure on right now..

this one..

http://www.indiegogo.com/Tales-from-an-Israeli-Storyteller
It sort of looks like it could be rpg related.. but you know after reading it I just don't know 100% it might be just stories??.. need to email him..

Sleeper

Red-eyed dust bunny
Validated User
No, you shouldn't. And I refuse to.
Problem is, it makes the thread moderately useless except as a respository of links. I know I've given up reading most of the entries because I always end up having to go the page and spend the time trying to suss out what it's really about. Which I only sometimes have time for.

The title, a single sentence summary, and a link. That's all I really need. (Though the author and an end date are also nice.)

Sleeper

Red-eyed dust bunny
Validated User
It sort of looks like it could be rpg related.. but you know after reading it I just don't know 100% it might be just stories??.. need to email him..
I was wondering what you were talking about, until I got toward the bottom and noticed the reference to a future RPG based on the story cycle. While I imagine that's just a wishlist for the future, throwing it in there definitely adds a layer of confusion to the whole entry.

beasterbrook

Validated User
Agreeded.. It looks like a "future rpg project" after this "guide" is written..

"This is a nice and accurate guide. I actually travel to places, take photos, enter national parks and holy places and generally get properly acquainted with them before I completely turn the tables and transform them into fantasy settings." is what threw me.. but after re-reading it (slowly this time) , this product in its current form is not rpg related..

EDIT: The Purple worm article "How to Succeed or fail on kickstarter" is a great read and if you are doing a funding project I would suggest you read it.. you get lots of good info from it.. http://www.purplepawn.com/2011/05/how-to-succeed-or-fail-on-kickstarter/

and some more

http://www.gmsarligames.com/2011/05/18/15-steps-for-a-successful-kickstarter-project/

http://crowdfundinghelp.com/

Last edited:

wheloc

He's trying real hard to be one of the good guys.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
What I find especially perplexing about the Lions of the North kickstarter is that there is a lot of info about the game on the website. It's just that somehow this info didn't get to the kickstarter page (or even a link to the site). I think the game is more developed than it initially appears, but people will pledge based on the initial appearance.

On the other hand, it's also a long-term pledge drive, so the author has time to correct these mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom