• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

CROWD-FUNDING SPOTLIGHT Vol. 3 - Role-Playing Games & Related Projects

Teylen

Validated User
I present to you the new Crowdfunding Collection #99, including every tabletop project started between 02/24 and 03/10.

In the last two weeks a total of 117 fresh projects have been released, thus I spread them over two crowdfunding collections.
Among the English projects I am most tempted by Manifest, as it offers an interesting mixture of Science Fiction and Western plus it looks good, which is why I got it starred for later. If you like your science fiction more traditional, you might like to check out either Into the Void or the latest edition of Era. Another project, that might be of interest, could be vs. KICKSTARTER as it doesn’t offer one but three games, even though they are small ones. I got it flagged to have a look at it later on. interessant finde. If you are into steampunk you might like to take a look at Aether and Steamworks. If you fancy dinos, you the two zine rpgs Escape from Dino Island and Dino Wranglers giving you plently. Well, and among the fantasy rpg zines 5D6 RPG Zine stands out to me, as its an English game from Germany.
Among the dice I like the design of the SkullSplitter ones, if you want to see a tabletop rpg related project going of like a rocket, check the Critical Role projects The Legend of Vox Machina Animated Special. I consider the Draugr & Draculas OSR zine at least interesting.
If you are interested in projects past the English ones, I would like to briefly take the time to suggest that you check out the French VALERIAN crowdfunding project, if you like the comic or movie by the same name. If you like to take a look into the design of adventures as well as scenarios and understand German, you should check out “Abenteuer gestalten”, which I backed.
You’ll find plenty more projects and patreons in the collection, just take a look:

English Crowdfundings

2 Role-Playing Games
3 Science Fiction Role-Playing Games
2 Magazine Role-Playing Games (Dinos)
3 Magazine Role-Playing Games (Fantasy)
2 Patreon Projects
1 Setting
5 D&D Supplements
3 Adventures
4 Dice Projects
2 Accessoires
3 Magazines (NPC, Monster, Stories)
2 Magazines (D&D)
3 Magazines (OSR)
3 Movie / Twitch Projects
4 Apps & Tools
2 Various RPG Projects
2 Various RPG/Dungeoncrawl Games

German Crowdfundings

1 Role-Playing Game
1 Supplement
1 Campaign
2 Live Action Projects

French Crowdfundings

4 Role-Playing Games

Italian Crowdfundings

1 Role-Playing Game

Article: https://teylen.blog/2019/03/10/crowdfunding-collection-99-part-1-of-2/

I present to you the new Crowdfunding Collection #99, including every tabletop project started between 02/24 and 03/10.

In the last two weeks a total of 117 fresh projects have been released, thus I spread them over two crowdfunding collections.
This part focuses more on English projects. For example the RPG in a magazine Dangerous Times: Muckrakers and Magic in Old New York!. The game is set in a literally magical New York in the 20ties and the players assume the role of journalists trying to find a story. I like the setting, the idea and I backed it. Another game I backed is LIFTS, though it has a quite different approach, integrating fitness into the game. If you like to focus more on training your mind and STEM capabilities, check out STEAM Hack. In regards to Urban „Fantasy“ or rather games set in contemporary kinds you should take a look at the second edition of Mercenaries Spies & Private Eyes or at Hidden Worlds and Justice Velocity. If you prefer your fantasy to be more classical check out the remastered edition of Basic and Expert RPG Sets Remastered! and secondedition of Wraith Recon, the dark fantasy approach of GODS or the games The World After and NEMESYN.
In regards to the patreons, I felt tempted to back the one by Caias Ward and in general terms I couldn’t resist the magnificent beauty of the Elder Dice. I am currently still trying to make up whether or not to go for the Necrocuadernomicón notebook, which looks beautiful. Well, or maybe the Fail Faster: The Playtesting Journal, which offers an interesting concept. The Gamer Pride Stickers and Pins are looking cool, the coloring book After the Wipe for Low Life, there are so many cool Zines, especially about world building, cool supplements….
You’ll find plenty more projects and patreons in the collection, just take a look:

English Crowdfundings

5 Fantasy Role-Playing Games
3 Urban (Fantasy) Role-Playing Games
2 Magazine Role-Playing Games
2 Magazine Role-Playing Games (Muscles & Brains)
1 Gamebook
2 Patreon Projects
1 Setting
5 D&D Supplements
3 Adventures
4 Dice Projects
3 Coin and Token Projects
5 Magazines
3 Magazines (Worldbuilding)
5 Magazines (System Specific)
3 Enamel Pins
1 Soundscape
4 Notebooks
2 Various RPG Projects
2 Various RPG/Card Games

Spanish Crowdfundings

2 Role-Playing Games
1 Campaign

Article: https://teylen.blog/2019/03/10/crowdfunding-collection-99-part-2-of-2/

DouglasCole

Validated User
The Citadel at Nordvorn has funded.

Thanks everyone! Like I've said elsewhere, this is a huge relief and now I can start art direction with confidence.

There's enough latent "followed not backed" to make the final total over $24,000 if folks all pitch. So now we're pushing stretch goals.

Also: while this is awesome and we're all superior people with much charisma, don't forget the importance of the Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2/Boxed Set reprint!

There are also two more Norðlond adventures coming out from Gaming Ballistic later this year that are already being written: The Dragons of Rosgarth, and Forest's End.

Wurzel

Action biologist!
Validated User

Mysthea: Legends From the Borderlands
is a PBTA game about divided loyalties and post-war rebuilding in a geomantic fantasy world. We've built on the core setup for Legacy, with players controlling a House working to rebuild this city as well as a ground-level hero getting caught up in the city's drama and conflicts. As you play you'll build up your map of the city, master the strange arcane arts of Qoam crystals, and deal with your patron's agendas for this land. It's a little bit Dragon Age 2, a little bit Final Fantasy 12, and a little bit Steven Universe, and I'm very excited to see how this campaign goes!
Check it out here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1549920133/mysthea-legends-from-the-borderlands?ref=RPGnet

Teylen

Validated User
I present to you the new Crowdfunding Collection #100, including every tabletop project started between 03/10 and 03/17.

This time around I’ll present you with 31 projects, among whom there are many really interesting ones.
Like Dark Streets and Darker Secrets, which according to its own description covers urban horror and modern fantasy genre wise. I’d summarize it as urban fantasy and consider the old school approach quite something new. Considering I followed it before the start, and love urban fantasy I backed it without hesitation. If you like to follow suite, you should be fast, as the project will end on Wednesday. Another project I liked and back is Mysthea by Jay Iles. I am already enamored with Jays Legacie game line and fancy the geomantic fantasy approach of this Powered by the Apocalypse inspired game.
Cut to the Chase has the interesting aspect of offering a 2-player game concept, with the players assuming the roles of predator and prey respectively. I am strongly tempted by the projects and got it starred. If you like a more traditional fantasy game, with still a narrative approach, you should check out MIGHT & MAGIC which appears to be inspired by Might & Mystic. I do consider card based systems cool and would recommend taking a look at BASE: a CaRdPG, which offers a generic, universal system and thus doesn’t come with a setting. Then again, if you are a metal head, you might enjoy checking out METAL WORLD. Gadzook confused me a bit, as its a hybrid between being a role-playing and a skyrmish game, if you like both, it might be worth taking a look at it.
I did back the source book CAPERS Noir for CAPERs in a blink, as I love the base game and gangsters – especially noir style – is a fancy of mine. I feel very strongly tempted to back the Welcome to Tikor setting and artbook as I got another weak spot for afropunk and the like, yet I’ll likely wait till the original system for the setting is available. If you like to support the creation of the system, you might like to check out the Swordsfall Patreon.
Next to those you’ll find cool accessoires like the Dungeon Quills, which are basically fancy pens, and the Trailblazer Game stamps, which enable you to stamp out a map. There is an interesting podcast present with Mud & Blood and I do like the design of the dice by Kenzie. Tho they are imho quite expensive and the project presentation isn’t to my requirements. You’ll find more interesting projects like the D&D supplemtents, including one by Monte Cook.
Amon the non-english projects I got charmed by España Caníbal. Were my Spanish better than it is, I would back it. Even with the state of my language skills, I feel tempted to back the very Spanish Post-Apocalyptic setting with a dash of organized crime.
Just take a look at the collection and see if you find something that tickles your fancy:

English Crowdfundings

4 Role-Playing Games
3 Fantasy Role-Playing Games
1 Role-Playing Game Hybrid
4 Settings
3 Supplement
2 D&D Supplement
1 Adventure
1 Dice Project
1 Accessoire
1 Podcast
1 Magazine
4 Various RPG Projects

Spanish Crowdfundings

1 Role-Playing Game

German Crowdfundings

1 Dungeon Crawler

French Crowdfundings

1 Supplement
1 Comic

Swedish Crowdfundings

1 Supplement

Article: https://teylen.blog/2019/03/17/crowdfunding-collection-100/

Rangdo

I used to be Ovid.
Validated User
There are a few ZineQuest campaigns still running:

Temple of the Blood Moth - "A science-fantasy horror dungeon for Old School versions of Dungeons & Dragons."

Whispers in the Dark - "An RPG zine filled with horrifying tables to help a GM add a sense of eeriness to any game!"

The Tomb of Black Sand - "A dungeon crawl zine made for new school tabletop RPGs, but with old school sensibilities."

Hair Metal Horror: Glam Metal Horror RPG Zines
- "Three 80's Glam Metal Horror RPG Zines with chilling adventures and Quick-Play rules based on Blades in the Dark by John Harper."

For Glory #1, The Hexanomicon
- "A zine of tools for the Dungeon Crawl Classics table top role playing game."

Desert Dwellers - "An OSR Zine Bestiette"

Strange New World Gazetteer: Weird Colonial Roleplaying Zine
- "An RPG and OSR setting zine for adventuring in a strange fantasy version of colonial America. Fearsome creatures, witchcraft and weird."

The Isle of the Amazons
- "2 issue Setting for Untold Adventure and other White Box based OSR RPGs."

Fools Haven Adventure Pack - A darkly comedic RPG setting
- "Guides and Resources for Roleplaying in the Vague World in Zine format"

Fantastic Tales of Two Cities - "A Flip-Book RPG Zine for Fantasy AND Superhero Campaigns"

Chthonic Cornbelt: An 80s RPG Zine - "A role-playing zine about a weird little town near the armpit of America, featuring declassified and irreverent confabulations."

Xboat: a Traveller RPG 'zine - "A fanzine supporting the Traveller role-playing game."

Metal Gods of Ur-Hadad Zine Returns!
- "Four years in the making, the original Metal Gods team returns for three more issues of metal-fueled mayhem for the DCC RPG"

Draugr & Draculas - "An old-school RPG zine about undead vikings and vampires"

Dino Wranglers - "A pick-up-and-play narrative RPG for families about overcoming obstacles as a dinosaur wrangler."

and more ...

ManiacClown

Oh, hey, thanks, Teylen! I was about to post METAL WORLD here and I saw you've given it a mention! I also appreciate that you took care to spell it in all caps!

As mentioned, METAL WORLD is a heavy metal-themed TTRPG that I describe as what D&D would be if Ronnie James Dio had written it. It strips down the rules to the raw essentials (basically, anything that's definitely going to come up sooner or later), allowing you to make basically any kind of character your Metal Lord will allow. The whole idea is the freedom to create the play experience you want without being constrained by the rigidity of classes, skill lists, and the like. You decide what your skills, your Good Thing(s) (advantages), and your Bad Thing(s) (disadvantages) cover. You want to make a standard fantasy barbarian? Of course you can do that! You want to make him a cy-barbarian instead, with a night-vision eye and a laser axe? You can do that too! Robot wizard? Sure! Genetic engineer/mad scientist gnome? Man, that's a defined species (or, in METAL WORLD's terminology a "template")! The semi-living child of two undead? Yeah, that's another template!

In METAL WORLD, the environment is as gonzo as you'd imagine, covering the breadth of heavy metal as a genre with the vast spirit of the publication Heavy Metal thrown in for good measure. The landscape contains a demon-possessed lawman riding a rocket-powered robot horse, an undead ship made of the bodies of dead sailors, Hell not just as an afterlife but also a continent you can casually visit, and a volcano made of dragons. Yes, that's a volcano that— when it erupts— shoots lava and more dragons. You can get a sweet ride from Motorhead, party it up in Glamm, brave the brutal weather of the Howling Plains, meet the robots of Cold Steel Harbor, go on a wilderness adventure in the Forest of Dom-Tarr, resist a military dictatorship in Raptoria, meet the four Northern Kings in their frozen halls, explore the depths of the Midnight Sea or sail across the Sea of Light, or travel to one of the seven Atlantises that exist beneath the waves.

METAL WORLD runs on its own unique system with five main stats: Death, Power, Prog, Speed, and Thrash. You pick a character concept, a template other than standard human (dwarf, robot, graveborn, cyborg, mutant, etc.) if you care to, select three skills, one or two Good Things and one or two Bad Things— with your Good and Bad Things balancing each other out— and off you go to make The Gods™ ask each other "Are you seeing this?" You can run the game in any tone you care to, from power metal's general sense of excitement and adventure to doom metal's crushing dread (great for horror-oriented games) all the way to absurd and affectionate genre parody of Metalocalypse and Gwar. The only limit to the game is your own imagination.

ManiacClown

Right, so about METAL WORLD. It turned out there'd been a death in the family that I wasn't yet aware of that happened the day before I launched. My brother came home on emergency leave from the Army (it's his stepdad; not also my stepdad) to see to matters and long story short I'm shaping up to be at least the co-personal representative (more modern term for "executor") of the estate, so I pulled the plug due to knowing I wasn't going to have time to devote to the campaign. At first I thought I could still manage but I (thankfully soon) realized that wasn't likely to be the case. I plan on coming back around in a few months to try again, this time I'd hope without any more unfortunate circumstances interfering.

Astronocky

The City of Great Lunden - the newest addition to the Midderlands, most definitely the greenest setting for Swords and Wizardry available anywhere, is now close to funding through Kickstarter, here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/monkeyblooddesign/the-city-of-great-lunden

In the words of its creator, Glynn Seal:

“In the daylight hours, the folk of the City of Great Lunden bustle through the drizzle. Its wards are alive with pickpockets, street brawls, puking drunkards, muggings, and murder. This is the capital city of the Haven Isles and those that come here get streetwise quickly. Then, the night comes. As the barely-seen sun sets over the myriad of tiled rooftops, Great Lunden is plunged into a green and dangerous gloom.”

“The City of Great Lunden is a city setting for use with old school roleplaying games. It is designed to be used alongside The Midderlands setting and hence is 'The Midderlands Compatible'. Game stats are presented for use with Swords & Wizardry Complete, which means they are easily adopted for old school games/retroclones. Much of the content is designed to be as system-neutral as possible, so feel free to use it with any fantasy game system you like.”

Full disclosure: just an enthusiastic backer....

Rangdo

I used to be Ovid.
Validated User
Right, so about METAL WORLD. It turned out there'd been a death in the family that I wasn't yet aware of that happened the day before I launched. My brother came home on emergency leave from the Army (it's his stepdad; not also my stepdad) to see to matters and long story short I'm shaping up to be at least the co-personal representative (more modern term for "executor") of the estate, so I pulled the plug due to knowing I wasn't going to have time to devote to the campaign. At first I thought I could still manage but I (thankfully soon) realized that wasn't likely to be the case. I plan on coming back around in a few months to try again, this time I'd hope without any more unfortunate circumstances interfering.
You made the best call for you and your backers. My condolences on your loss.

Top Bottom