• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[CRPGs] A year ago...

Phantom Grunweasel

Situation Normal Oll Korrect
Validated User
Does anyone have any opinion on the Dragon Age 2 DLC? In particular, which ones are add-ons that you're meant to play during the course of the main game (like Soldier's Peak from the original), which ones are sequels featuring the same character like Awakening, and which are separate side-stories or prequels like Leliana's Song?

Argent

Anywhere... just not here
Validated User
Does anyone have any opinion on the Dragon Age 2 DLC? In particular, which ones are add-ons that you're meant to play during the course of the main game (like Soldier's Peak from the original), which ones are sequels featuring the same character like Awakening, and which are separate side-stories or prequels like Leliana's Song?
I find Legacy to be an absolute must. It has Gray Wardens, dark mysteries, an epic villain and sets up some stuff for DA: Inquisition if you think that you´ll keep playing the series until the end. You can play it as part of the main campaign.

The Exiled Prince is basically Sebastian, a new follower. He was... okay?

Phantom Grunweasel

Validated User
I find Legacy to be an absolute must. It has Gray Wardens, dark mysteries, an epic villain and sets up some stuff for DA: Inquisition if you think that you´ll keep playing the series until the end. You can play it as part of the main campaign.

The Exiled Prince is basically Sebastian, a new follower. He was... okay?
Quick follow-up: how does this work with the unusual time structure of DA2? Can you complete the DLC stuff at any point in the main campaign's timeline, or does it have to be done in a particular year of Hawke's life?

Argent

Anywhere... just not here
Validated User
Quick follow-up: how does this work with the unusual time structure of DA2? Can you complete the DLC stuff at any point in the main campaign's timeline, or does it have to be done in a particular year of Hawke's life?
I don´t have the game installed or anything, but IIRC it is technically playable from whenever, but also has a "recommended level" which sets a golden spot for when you want to tackle it.

Naxuul

Emo hair power!
Validated User
You can play it whenever, but generally they're best played in Act 3 after completing the available companion quests. This is because the DLC(especially the one involving Felicia Day) have companions talk to each other and give some level of epilogue to their stories if you're at that point.

-Naxuul

Paladina

Validated User
Legacy alters a bit based on when played. I personally find it makes most sense in Act 2, but it's fine in Act 3 too. I agree Mark of the Assassin works best in Act 3.

Phantom Grunweasel

Validated User
Playing through Legacy now. Thanks for the recommendation, everyone - I'm really enjoying it. It feels so refreshing to have fights again with varied and interesting enemies, that take place over sprawling environments that add to the fight in creative ways. I actually like a lot of things about Dragon Age 2 but dear God am I sick of fighting identical waves of enemies in the same cramped alleyway/generic cave/cliffside trail.

Bellerophon

Unvincible
Validated User
Following this thread with interest; considering getting Deadfire.

How do people feel about D:OS2? The first one was a bit too, I dunno, cutesy? There wasn’t much of a sense of urgency to actually complete any of it.

Choo Choo

Likes Rocks
Validated User
Following this thread with interest; considering getting Deadfire.

How do people feel about D:OS2? The first one was a bit too, I dunno, cutesy? There wasn’t much of a sense of urgency to actually complete any of it.
The second game is a vast, vast improvement over the first in pretty much every way I can think of, particularly the atmosphere and the characters. I just started my first re-play of it, in fact, this time playing as Lohse rather than a custom character.

Phantom Grunweasel

Validated User
Returning to Deadfire, I found the following talk by Josh Sawyer of Obsidian about the decision-making process for Deadfire interesting. It's quite long, obviously, and he gets a bit technical in places, but he's refreshingly candid and direct about why the team did things in a certain way, and which decisions he stands by and which he now views as mistakes. In particular, the way he explains the theory behind character relationship mechanics sounds really interesting, even though he himself admits they were a bit of a mess in practise. Also interesting: ship-to-ship combat, a feature that few people liked (I quite liked it myself) was by Sawyer's reckoning the single most costly and time-consuming feature of the game to implement.

Deadfire Postmortem

Top Bottom