• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Crusader Kings 2 II: Title Revoked

StreetBushido

Validated User
I think I'm going to drop my idea of consolidating Britanny as my personal kingdom. Primarily because I have already built a Royal Palace in Middlesex, to which I plan to move my capital. Also, Britanny's total amount of holdings is really poor. Instead I think I will go for claiming two duchies in England for myself, and then focus on upgrading their holdings.

Generally I prefer to build cities in my personal demesne as I tax them quite heavily and the income is welcome. In the mid-to-late game my military might primarily comes from my vassals and I protect myself from factions by having a huge retinue.

Yesterday I had my Genius ruler commit suicide for what felt like a pretty shitty reason. I plan to get the Raider Bloodline for myself before marrying in the other historical viking bloodlines into my dynasty. But my ruler at the time was a woman. She was an excellent ruler, but if she had formed the bloodline it would've been a lot more complicated to ensure that it was inherited. All the men of the family would've had to marry matrilineally to preserve the bloodline, but their children would've lost their dynasty. Whereas if a man formed the bloodline then it would instead just require the women to marry matrilineally (which I almost always do anyway for women of my dynasty after a certain point). This would both preserve the bloodline and the dynasty.

So yeah, Emmy the Butch died in a "duel" and now her son has ascended to the throne of the Northern Seas at the age of 22. That should give me enough time to raid 200 holdings to the ground...

In fact, let's look at the math a bit. I'd say that the rough average number of holdings in a county is about 3. That requires me to raid about 67 counties. And I have enough military strength now to go raiding with about 30k troops, or 4 stacks of 7,5k. So I can raid 4 counties at once. And to highball it let's say maybe... 5-6 months to sack all 12 of those holdings (it takes a fair bit to siege down the first castle, but then it moves quicker). So every 6 months I sack 12 holdings. 200/12=16,67 or let's say 17. 17x6 = 102. 102 months or 8,5 years.

And that's in the ideal case where I'm not interrupted by some war or I lose too many troops to angry landowners. Still, it looks very doable.

Skycroft

Space Wizard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Do you have a bloodline from the ambition already? Keep in mind the raider bloodline is an earned one, and will prevent you from taking the ambition. If you already have a created bloodline, you can still get the raider one though, unless you have a historical viking one. Honestly I found it not really worth the trouble, it's a fairly weak bloodline and all the historical viking ones are better anyway.

StreetBushido

Validated User
Do you have a bloodline from the ambition already? Keep in mind the raider bloodline is an earned one, and will prevent you from taking the ambition. If you already have a created bloodline, you can still get the raider one though, unless you have a historical viking one. Honestly I found it not really worth the trouble, it's a fairly weak bloodline and all the historical viking ones are better anyway.
For some reason I didn't get an ambition bloodline before I instead got a Warrior Lodge Legend bloodline. Some kind of brain fart. So I have one bloodline of my own, plus my current ruler has two other bloodlines as well (Carolingian Blood and either Ashina Blood or Blood of Attila, I can't quite recall right now). And yeah, I know that the Raider one can be earned at any time that you do not have a historical viking one. I agree that it's pretty weak, but I want it so that I can stack it with the historical viking ones.

Afterburner

Remarkably expressive bandages
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Nicely done! Keep that realm growing! Depending on the technologies you've managed to unlock/research you may want to consider moving your capital to a county with more holdings.

I mention technologies because the stuff you've unlocked is locked to your capital and spreads from there to neighbouring counties, and also to non-neighbouring counties within your personal demesne. That's a problem I have in my Haesteinn game: my capital is pretty far ahead of the global tech curve, but it's got a fairly low amount of holdings. I'd like to move my capital to a larger (more holding-rich) county, but then I'd lose decades of technological progress.
I actually did that very thing despite the setback. Although I love the islands, they're technically not neighbors with anybody, so they don't benefit from the tech spread of higher tech neighbors. You have to research everything yourself.

So I moved my capital to the mainland, to a province with lots of holding slots and which is also on the Silk Road and can therefore build a trade post.

Afterburner

Remarkably expressive bandages
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I really want a war goal that will make the other guy renounce all his claims on my territory. Being routinely attacked every few years because my duchy is in someone else's de jure kingdom is annoying.

Also annoying is the fact that since they're not declaring war on me directly, I don't get notification of the wardec. It's not until I get a pop-up screen telling me that my holdings are under siege that I learn my duchy is once again the trophy of the latest war.

StreetBushido

Validated User
Has anybody else been noticing some strange stuff with genetic traits? I've had a weird trend where parents with a positive genetic trait seem to more often get children with the equivalent negative genetic trait than parents that had no trait. For instance, Quick mothers have been giving birth to Slow or even Imbecile children, and Strong fathers have produced Weak children. I know it's a random chance, but when one or both parents have a positive trait it's not as random, as they have a chance (usually 15% per parent) to pass down the genetic trait.

Yesterday I finally managed to get the Raider Bloodline. It felt as if I had sacked most of Europe to get it, but now it's mine! Shortly before I did that I managed to arrange for Mjolnir to fall into my hands. And once I got the bloodline my character earned the nickname the Stormforged! May the worshipers of the crescent and the crucifix tremble!

Now the Stormforged is working on a Legend and it's looking good so far. Unless something nasty happens he should be able to pull off a Legendary Adventure before passing on to Valhalla.

In other news I have an Attractive Genius daughter lined up as my heir. She also has a Harelip, but she's still known as the "Heavenly", so I feel that that particular genetic quirk merely adds to her striking looks. I found a suitable husband for her: the man is the result of one of my Bloodline projects and carries the blood of Ashina and Dyre the Stranger, both of which I want to incorporate into my Dynasty. Unfortunately, he was already married and didn't want to join my court.

Time to get to work. First, his wife had to go. Easy enough. Unfortunately, even with a Favour I couldn't get him to join my court, nor did he want to matri-marry my daughter. However, I then noticed that I had, somehow, reason to arrest him and a 100% chance to do so. In to the dungeons he goes. And from there I could "recruit" him! This sends him to my court, and from there I could matri-marry him to my daughter!

Pure CK2 madness.

Now in about a year my Threat will fall below 50% and I will launch a Great Holy War. But I'm not quite sure in which direction. Thus far it's leaning towards moving down into Muslim Spain. It's wholly controlled by the Umayyads and so I can freely choose which of the Kingdoms I want. However, I'm also considering moving towards the Holy Lands...

Also, my Threat has had no help from my Chancellors as I've been trying to fabricate a claim on a county for what must be around 50 years now without any success! Argh!

Ivan Stupidor

Parenthetical Expression
Validated User
Also, my Threat has had no help from my Chancellors as I've been trying to fabricate a claim on a county for what must be around 50 years now without any success! Argh!
Sounds like he's getting paid coming and going - when he comes to fabricate the claim, he's got his chancellor salary, and when he goes to tell you his progress, he's got the bribe the current county holder paid him to say he hasn't found anything...

Aesthete

A for Aeffort
Validated User
This is such typical CK2 shenanigans.

I finally through lots of politicking got primogeniture and a good core fief. Combined with reformed pagan, I can designate my heir. My current ruler was a bit of a challenge, since when he inherited he was already craven and a cannibal (wtf?!). Nonetheless, I've managed to do a good job reducing council power and getting my inheritance laws straightened out. He even made it to become the leader of the Wolf Warriors. Pretty good turnaround for a ruler I was pretty unhappy with when I got him - it's the first time I've satisfactorily managed the transition to feudal from tribal and continued playing, f. ex.

I haven't been able to get any additional bloodlines yet, beyond the one I forged myself. But that has been looking good too. I've been doing something like four or five generations of matchmaking to get some distant kin with accumulated bloodlines. I betrothed by best son (with the strong trait) to a distant kinswoman with five bloodlines. They even had a son, so in due course I should get the five bloodlines achievement in one fell swoop. Great!

Except... so I get at pop up that my ruler lost the berserker trait. Oh well. Then I figure, I'd like him to go out in a blaze of glory leading armies and dueling people - how I played some of his early ancestors before getting more prudent - so I hit the "go berserk" button again.

Event comes back. I've attacked my inheriting son and get a choice between him outright dying (!) and merely mangling him (which usually leads to death within a few years in my experience). So I'm about to see my scheme of finally consolidating some bloodlines slip through my fingers (because I have like six other sons, so there's no way my planned grandson is going to make it as an heir).

So typical. I love this game.

Aesthete

A for Aeffort
Validated User
Also, can any of you verify whether the bottom two water spaces in the Caspian Sea (Gulf of Astrabat and Shirvan Coast) are accessible to you?

I was sailing over there to do some raiding, and I can't send ships there but get a "The fort level prevents navigation of this river" hover text. Which is weird, because it's not a river (and annoying, because I want to raid Alamut).

Li of Orchid

you will explode.
Validated User
Also, can any of you verify whether the bottom two water spaces in the Caspian Sea (Gulf of Astrabat and Shirvan Coast) are accessible to you?

I was sailing over there to do some raiding, and I can't send ships there but get a "The fort level prevents navigation of this river" hover text. Which is weird, because it's not a river (and annoying, because I want to raid Alamut).
It's coded as a river in-game.

Top Bottom