• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Crusader Kings 2 II: Title Revoked

Afterburner

Remarkably expressive bandages
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Soo...I've never played Crusader Kings II before, but I just picked it up along with all of the DLC earlier this week, and will probably start playing in the next day or two. There are plenty of "how to get started" guides online, and the first time play tutorial and the like, but one thing I'm curious about: is it better to just turn off all of the expansions for your first game, and selectively add them in later? Or should you just turn off a few selected ones (like Sunset Invasion), and play as normal, just worrying about any additional features when they crop up?
The expansions mostly add a lot of role-playing flavor. Turning them off won't necessarily make the game easier, but it will make it less entertaining.

Catfish

Abominable Caftan
Validated User
If you plan on using the expansions in the future, I think you should turn them on from the start. They change ruling mechanics, menu options, and events. You'll have to relearn some things if you turn them on later.

Sunset Invasion excepted.

Fortinbras

Agent of Dream
Validated User
Okay, thanks. I was curious because it looks like there were things introduced in expansions, like changes to the councils and things like retinues, which I wasn't sure if it was easier/better to get a grasp on the base game and add them later, or play with them from the get go to just learn how it would play in the final state.

Afterburner

Remarkably expressive bandages
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Okay, thanks. I was curious because it looks like there were things introduced in expansions, like changes to the councils and things like retinues, which I wasn't sure if it was easier/better to get a grasp on the base game and add them later, or play with them from the get go to just learn how it would play in the final state.
When it comes to mechanical changes, Paradox has mostly released those in a free patch concurrent with the release of particular DLC. So turning off the DLC won't actually turn off all of the core gameplay mechanics that come with the DLC. It will just turn off some of the fun fluff like religious orders and character events.

ChariotDriver

Validated User
The only one I'd suggest turning off is Sunset Invasion. Unless the arrival of Aztec doomstacks in western Europe sounds amusing - it might if you're playing somewhere eastern and have just been visited by the Mongol hordes.

neutrondecay

An Experience
RPGnet Member
Validated User
When it comes to mechanical changes, Paradox has mostly released those in a free patch concurrent with the release of particular DLC. So turning off the DLC won't actually turn off all of the core gameplay mechanics that come with the DLC. It will just turn off some of the fun fluff like religious orders and character events.
I think the Conclave council mechanics only apply if you have Conclave activated. So my advice would be always to play with Conclave activated.

nd

Aesthete

A for Aeffort
Validated User
I agree with everyone so far - it's more fun with all the DLC activated (except Sunset Invasion), but not necessarily harder.

Fortinbras

Agent of Dream
Validated User
One last question - any recommended mods for the font size thing? I think there are a couple out there, but I figured I'd see if anyone had one they particularly recommend.

4th of Eleven

Validated User
Note that there is an options menu when you start a new game that lets you turn things like the Sunset Invasion on or off for that game, so you don't need to manually disable the DLC if you don't want to deal with it.

Top Bottom